Suit fitting tips please (now with after pics)

NOW you’re talking!
[/quote]

Now if that is not the suit equivalent of a walking thong… :laughing:

NOW you’re talking!
[/quote]

Now if that is not the suit equivalent of a walking thong… :laughing:[/quote]
'xcept it won’t turn the ladies on…

Maybe not this lady. :wink:

Here we go - what I gave to the tailor to replicate:

And the result, taken at the tailors (just picked it up a couple of hours ago) - looks great with the charcoal grey shirt.

and

I want to get a tie clip, similar to this one (and that shirt and tie combo too actually):

I like it - they did a good job. Cost 800RMB (NT$3700), for two shirts and the suit.

Goddamn! But that IS cheap. Its 10 times less expensive than my last suit and looks just as good from those pics. Be interested to see what looks like after the 15th dry cleaning, though.

Congrats! Great Suit :thumbsup: Even if it only lasts you for this summer, it is great value for price. I am sure it will last longer. Now that you have a good tailor, you can up the quality of fabric (go buy it yourself) and get more suits made for longer durability.

They copied it so well that your head got cut off just like in the picture. :smiley:

I actually had to get dressed up the other day for a photoshoot with a lawyer at TSMC. Bought my first pair of business casual pants - NT$249 at the A-Mart in Jingmei. I’ve made it to mid 30s without needing anything more than jeans, so I figure by the time I’m 50 I might need to learn how to tie a tie.

1 Like

But see how its stressed at the front of the shoulder there in the second shot? Its making the front bag out so the lapels aren’t hanging snug. The stitching is going to go there first.

If he wore the jacket unbuttoned, it might last longer, who knows?

surely he’ll wear the suit unbuttoned?

Nice job Baas

I echo Sandmans comment.
It should not be blousing out in the chest area like that . Bit tight across the shoulders in the back it seems.

Indeed I’ll wear it unbuttoned. Maybe I buttoned it up due to old habits - in high school we had to wear our blazers buttoned up when not seated.

And we had to wear bashers at sports events.

I just got two jackets, two pants and a couple of shirts made here in Taichung. My wife and I are not really happy with them and we’re not quite sure why. I really don’t know anything about formal wear. The fabrics are tan with light stripes from England and charcoal with white pinstripes from Italy. Total cost was $30k which is not cheap enough to dump in a closet and forget about. Any ideas?

Annoying thing is that I just bought two white jackets from a trendy discount store for $900 each that I am happier with.

^ Looks like the tailor has used a ‘standard Asian cut’ and applied it to you.
It doesn’t look fitted at all.

The body is too big. The sleeves look like they need taking in, the back of the jacket doesn’t look right either.
The trousers are also too long.
They also look a little baggy to me.

I would have gone for two buttons as opposed to three.
I prefer a slimmer look with my suits.

I have mine made by an very good ‘Thai’ tailor in Bangkok. All done in house.

A good resource is styleforum.net I suggest you post it there and await responses.
Also if you have time take a look around the site, you will slowly learn more about formal wear.

What do people think about the Hong Kong tailors who can do a suit in three days? Might be difficult to do the multiple fittings that were mentioned in this thread.

Why is it so complicated to get a suit made, anyway? Is there a tailor who can just do whatever needs to be done without bothering me with a bunch of questions I don’t understand or care about? There are many doubtless very helpful tips in this thread, but when I read them, I get the same feeling that Sandman must do when he reads djlowballer’s posts about the iPad.

[quote=“sandman”]
NOW you’re talking!
[/quote]
My husband loves this suit. If I took the photo in to a tailor in Bangkok, do you think they could copy it? How much would it cost?
My husband is black, so I’m a bit afraid it is going to make him look like a pimp. Still, I like it too.

Honestly, I usually do with 2 fittings.

HK Tailors - I have used them twice.

Once was called La Elite Fashions. They did a sport jacket and a double breasted suit for me.

I used the sport jacket a lot for some 10 years, after which the fabric started to come apart in places.

It was great, however the inner lining I got only lasted 5-6 years and had to be replaced.

The shirts he made lasted 6-7 years or so with varying usage.

I was happy, and would use them again.

I got some shirts made at a small place - they did not last as long, I would not go back. The stitching was good, so it could be me being too cheap on the material, who knows?

[quote=“cake”]^ Looks like the tailor has used a ‘standard Asian cut’ and applied it to you.
It doesn’t look fitted at all.

The body is too big. The sleeves look like they need taking in, the back of the jacket doesn’t look right either.
The trousers are also too long.
They also look a little baggy to me.

I would have gone for two buttons as opposed to three.
I prefer a slimmer look with my suits.[/quote]

I asked for three buttons, I already have a two button suit that I don’t much care for.

But as for the rest, my wife was really pissed that I spent so much money on a suit that looks like a supermarket special bought one size too big. We went back to the tailor and they pretty much agreed that it looks shite and the shi fu is going to redo everything.

Having paid everything from 7K to 12K per suit in Taipei and tried five of the “Best” tailors, I’ve still to find a decent tailor in Taipei. So I pick up my best suits from Indian tailors in Thailand (note: be selective on tailors there also).

The last suit I picked up in Taipei was similar… the mis-matching buttons that look good for gangsters or limo-drivers is a dead give-away. I can’t even wear it in public. My colleages laugh when I wear it. Buttons are supposed to blend in, not stick out. If he hadn’t of offered me shots of Kaoliang while doing the fittings, I might of tried to… well, do nothing, because, really, what can I do?

So many freagin crazy Taiwan stories… where to begin…

FYI. Indians only own store fronts. The actually stitching is done by Chinese labourers. There’s an industry out there, no matter whom and where you give your suits, they all end up in the same place…think along the lines of mass production, but with your measurements. What matters, is what fabric you buy and how accurately the store front people have you measured up. THAT is why they are cheap, fast and affordable.