Sunday afternoon bars and discos

Many people ask me for advice on the Sunday pub and disco scene where foreign workers and many long term ex-pats go.

@ 2pm onwards = this is the busiest time for many foreign bars. Many of which are rented just for the day.
The Zone ( between Chungshan North Road and Linsen North Road sec.3) is the best area for this featuring about a dozen bars and large disco pubs. Karaoke bars are also everywhere. This is Filippina country for a day so speaking English is not a problem here.

The busiest at the moment is probably The Farmhouse next to My Place. Free admission, beer starts at 70NT. Christines, in a basement behind Saint Christophers Church and up the street a bit is also packed and even cheaper.

Indonesian bars are located near Taipei Main Station.
Thai bars I have no knowledge of.

The Farmhouse? :roflmao:
Just what exactly goes on at this place!?

Josefus wrote:

No Bestiality. It’s really just an average Taiwanese pub. My friend who plays in pub bands played there a few times and I went to see the show. Bar, tables, stage – kind of dark interior at least in those days a few years ago. It was pleasant, good place to hang out with friends and enjoy live music.

It’s been there for donkey’s years. First pub I ever went to in Taiwan some 20 years ago or thereabouts.

BroonAss

The Farmhouse is a large disco pub. Down the lane from Malibu West.

Lora on Nongan Street is set to reopen next Sunday at 12 mid-day. On the ground floor.

This is a very good karaoke/disco bar run by Jimmy who is Philippino/Chinese.

I met many ex-pats in there years ago and even met my wife in Lora’s.

So what exactly do the ex-pats do? Show up in disco clothes, or show up in short and slippers? Are people friendly?

my guess they are fucked off by TWese women so they are hunting the DongNanYa set.

or they are tired of naff pretentious bars

5, lane 32, ShuangCheng St

Farmhouse address?

or go here…

This link is way out of date.
Covered in virtual cobwebs.
Many of the listed places closed years ago.

Unfortunately, sundays are pretty dead in terms of lively bars and clubs in Taipei. Most people party on friday and saturday night, so taiwanese are pretty conservative come sunday night, what with work the next day. Basically, as has been suggested previously, the zone is the place to go. The filipinos like to party after sunday service! Some of the bars are pretty cheesy, but they are fun if you go with an open mind.

I live near the Zone and have been to a few bars there, some of the moma-sans can be pretty evil. Stay away from the hostess bars unless you are very, very cashed up.

If anyone wants to check some of these bars, please PM as I live nearby…preferably on the 14th

Cheers

A former neighbor used to go to a place he called “Philipine Alley”. Given that he was well above 60, it was one of the few places where he could pick up with any kind of regularity. It was in Taipei somewhere.

A film will be released soon about life on Sunday for many overseas workers. I watched the crew shoot some scenes in Chatters Pub.

pinoysunday.com/

The overseas workers were shooting scenes? Must be good actors.

digiboy wrote about greedy mama sans.
THERE ARE NO mam sans on Sunday. That is the point. We, meaning friends of mine, rent the pubs for Sundays only.
Customers are NEVER EVER ripped off on Sundays in The Zone. beer costs from 50NT upwards. Shorts @ 100NT doubles.
In the week yes if you are mug enough to enter such a place searching for ‘fun’.

Keep to the regular busy pubs and you will be OK even in the rest of the week.
Here’s a list of ‘honest’ cheap pubs Monday to Saturday:
Malibu West
My Place
Manila
The Clam Club
Peace Jazz

So - if I want to check out the zone on a Sunday afternoon, I look for you first?

Rainy Sunday afternoon. Where to go?

There’s the craziest indonesian club near the corner of Chung Xiao and Chung Shan (NW corner) with the worst music I’ve ever heard in my life. It’s pretty fun. Looks for all the people in the alley’s and you will find it. Also, Barrio Fiesta at the Zone is the spot to be. B52 usually has something happening, but can be a rip off if you are not careful.