SUV Question: V6 Or V8

Which Engine for Mostly City Driving?

• V6
  • V8

0 voters

I’m hoping some knowledgeable folks can give me an unbiased view on V6 versus V8.

Currently I’m reading a few internet forums and the opinions sound biased. There’s the V6 camp, and there’s the V8 camp. Though we kinda suspect it’s the V6ers who wished they had V8 that are defending their V6es. :slight_smile:

Personally, I think a V6 is sufficient for my needs. I won’t be towing a boat, trailer, three full size overweight passengers, etc. I won’t be climbing mountains or driving over rocks in creeks.

Ms 914 is firm on the V8. She claims the V8 is so much better because her father has the 2002 V8 and she loves how it handles.

I’m sure the V8 would accelerate a tad faster than the V6, but is it really necessary? Haven’t V6 SUV engines handled the driving world well enough so far?

The mpg difference is only 1-2 miles, but if the difference is minimal between V6 and V8, that adds up.

Hoping for unbiased view. Or try to. :wink:

Non of the above … buy a car that is suited for city driving … small, doesn’t guzzle gas and is easy to park … isn’t a danger to pedestrians when involved in an accident …

I’d go with the V6. It should be enough power for your needs and it’s better for the environment.

An SUV is made to drive out in the open, back dirt roads, bush, savana … not to go shopping or drive to the office … BTW, i’m not biased just telling you the reality …

It’s really going to come down to the make and model of the SUV you are looking at. Some V6s have as much or more power than many V8s.

However, seeing as you are buying in a jurisdiction that doesn’t tax engine size, your only real cost is going to be at the pump–or the extra cost for the V8 at the dealers. Where you are, I’d say go ahead and get the V8.

PS. Sorry I missed you when I was in your neck of the woods.

Belgian pie,

I know all that. I’m quite the environmentalist, but we need an SUV for other SUV purposes such as roominess. If you have nothing to add to my question of V6 OR V8, you really have nothing to say, do you? However, we will be driving around in the dirt and mud occasionally, just not hardcore off-roading. Also we’re looking at long highway driving as well, hence we need comfort, room, and comfort.

Thanks for your understanding, belgian pie. No offense.

Neither. you want to get a man’s truck, not a girlie SUV, this is what I drive to the shops:

It has lots of space for shoes and a mirror for putting on make-up.

914 lives in BC, there will be plenty of open space and dirt roads to rip it up on.
But if you’re not planning on taking it out and getting it dirty, then get a car.
I think a V6 would suffice.

Buy a van that’s roomy enough … or a mono volume … you don’t need to drive over bolders or mountains and don’t need to pull a boat … so, you asked a dumb question and you already answered it yourself, you don’t need the power of a V8 and you are an environmental conscious person
… I have a lot to say

I’ll comment briefly on what BP wrote, but 914 is of course justified in asking that we stay on topic.

[quote=“belgian pie”]An SUV is made to drive out in the open, back dirt roads, bush, savana …[/quote]Trouble is, many of them aren’t even able to do that very well. They have the looks but can’t back it up, or so I’ve been told. They can handle a bit of dirt and mud but nothing more extreme.

There’s some interesting development on hybrid and other “green” SUVs, which could mitigate the environmental impact.

But anyway, let’s try to stick to answering the OP’s question: V6 or V8? I have no idea but imagine that V6 would be fine for the intended use.

[quote=“belgian pie”]Buy a van that’s roomy enough … or a mono volume … you don’t need to drive over bolders or mountains and don’t need to pull a boat … so, you asked a dumb question and you already answered it yourself, you don’t need the power of a V8 and you are an environmental conscious person
… I have a lot to say[/quote]

British Columbia, Canada is a place where owning an suv might actually be practical. There is a huge backcountry and plenty of opportunities to make use of what an SUV can do, provided the owner is inclined to get out of the city once in a while.

Living in the North of Europe, the US, Canada (winter) or any country with bad road conditions one could use a 4x4 and if space is a concern than a van or mono-volume with 4x4 is the better option … an SUV is not that roomy, it’s high and wide on the outside but inside, pfff … and as the OP stated he is not going to use it for it’s intended use … oh, and he says he’s an environmentalist …

I think the various suggestions such as getting a van or looking into hybrid or other fuel-efficient SUVs are valid, though of course the OP must decide whether they apply in this particular situation. I just talked to my co-moderator Redwagon, who though too busy to post right now said to me that if the choice is V6 or V8 then V6 is ample, but that something like a Subaru Outback XT would suit the OP’s needs just fine.

I’d prefer not to see any more talk of “dumb questions” though.

280 pounds of half-Samoan man-meat and his slender but substantial ladyfriend need a man-sized car, of course.
But I happen to know you’ll already have a runabout for town, so if it were me, I’d go for the biggest. A V6 is no doubt ample for your needs, but if you’re using it for long trips, you’ll appreciate the little extra that a V8 offers.

do hummers come in a V6?

Mmmm…hummers.

I’m pretty sure Ms 914 wouldn’t be able to peep over the dashboard of a Hummer, though. :laughing: 914 requires a vehicle that his lady can drive too.

Why don’t you split the difference and get a V7?

That’s exactly what SUVs are not made for (think soccer mum) - what you mean is a real 4WD / jeep-type of car. Most SUVs wouldn’t survive going really off-road (not to mention there are some 2WD-only SUVs). There is no clear cut between the bigger SUVs and a proper 4WD, but your standard SUV like Honda CRV and the like is more show than anything else. As well I wouldn’t dare to take some of the luxury SUVs off-road, they are just too expensive for that.

Second that!

As if!