Suzuki Escudo?

Anyone has experience with this car or the Grand Vitara, models from 95 to 99? I can imagine they don’t feel super powerful and they aren’t the fastest cornering cars out there but how about maintenance and problems, and mileage?

They are fairly well spoken of by the cognoscenti. Tend to suffer if fitted with oversized wheels/lifted suspension, which a lot of them are because they do aqctually look good like that.

Some years get a crack in the engine block.

Its an off-roader, so fuel economy isn’t going to be great. If you dont need an off-roader, you dont need one of these.

1 Like

That’s interesting and good to know, because if does look good and it’s something that I might want to do in the case of getting one. In what way does it suffer?

Sorry, you mean some years are to be avoided because they tend to develop said problem? What year or years are those?

I noticed that. Actually that’s the reason why I might be interested in them.

I know, but what are the numbers? currently I’m doing 9.x-11.x kmpl on mine. Sure, it’s a more modern car, AC works well, more comfortable, 4 seats with big trunk, and enough ground clearance, but it’s not an off road car.

Dunno. Havn’t had one myself. I’m going from what I remember of posts by people like MJB and Sulavaca, who probably knew whereof they spoke. Do a search.

Generally, lift kits change the angle of the driveshaft and wider wheels move the support point outboard, both potentially leading to bearing and suspension wear.

Can’t remember the years that should be checked for cracks, but IIRC the crack linked up the spark plug holes in the block.

MJB said they had not too bad “gas mileage” (he meant petrol) for an off-roader.

Mechanics are familiar with them and parts are/were available.

Again, IIRC, there are 2-wheel drive versions too, which would be a bit lighter, cheaper to run, and less likely to have been abused, but perhaps a bit pointless if you want an off-roader.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s an upside.

@MJB @sulavaca any input re Escudo’s mileage and problems? what years to avoid?

As a former Suzuki tech I used to have a lot of experience with these.
Great offroaders, but pretty poor on-roaders. Ladder chassis with body on top mean that they’re fairly simple and cheap to produce, but offer lots of body roll and wander when driving on-road. Poor aero and relatively heavy rolling resistance also reduces drivability and fuel economy on-road.

Larger wheels and tyres take their toll on wheel bearings and steering components especially. Lift-kits are technically illegal in Taiwan, so inspections will be troublesome, especially in the North.
Very spartan interiors and very limited passenger and rear trunk/boot space.
Fuel economy in Taiwan I’d put in the 7-8 kpl range for most using a mix of driving.
Transfer box drive chains can be prone to being grenaded, mainly due to driver error and engaging 4WD without a slippery enough surface to allow the wind-up to dissipate.
Back in the day they were fairly reliable. Interior trim quality was questionable. The 16v 1,600cc was the prefered motor over the 8v 1,600cc motor.
Recommend looking for a stock example with hood maintenence. Maintenance and running costs are generally low for a 4WD but higher than most 2WD vehicles.
I’d ask anyone if they really, actually, truly need a 4WD most of the time before they consider this.

1 Like

Thanks for your write up. 7-8kmpl sounds very low for such a tiny engine. I’ve managed to do something around that with a thirsty 4l, also 4wd, combined.

I guess if I find a nice and cheap one, and can sell my current car for some decent amount, I will bite the bullet. Do I need a 4WD? no, I’m not a farmer or a Safari park guard, but I do take roads that don’t deserve the name every now and then, and I could do it in a safer way with one. I will also venture myself into other places if I can.

Just founds this:

Maintained by gangsters?
Pretty standard in the motor trade, worldwide, I would have thought (present company excepted, of course)

2 Likes

If it’s occasional 4WD you need, then…

1 Like

Thanks for the offer, but I’m looking for something along the lines for the Escudo/Vitara. Also looking for a “true off road” if possible, with reduction and interlocking. And maintenance wise doesn’t appeal to me (according to what I read online).

I have had a bunch of Suzuki in the past, starting with the Escudo, then Grand Vitara (which I still have), Vitara JP, and previous gen Jimny. Sulavaca is spot on. There are many negatives about these cars: They are slow, underpowered, spartan, and don’t like wind, and water on the road [with off-road tires]. And probably one of the worst cars in terms of safety. But they are fun, cool with a big following, and very capable off-road. I did 3 things to my Escudo: bigger wheels, spotlights, and a 3" lift. One of the biggest reasons I got rid of mine was the difficulty of passing the inspections. I had ‘a guy’ and it was smooth sailing for a few years until he couldn’t anymore…

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I’m aware of those tradeoffs, and kinda accepted them. But haven’t heard first hand experience re reliability (as in how well they’re built, I know they are way more prone to rollovers than a SUV, leave alone a regular car) and consumption. Actually, do you remember its mileage when driving on freeways/roads/city?

sorry, I don’t recall the numbers, but it wasn’t particularly bad, otherwise, I would have remembered it :slight_smile: Reliability and maintenance were also never an issue. I don’t recall huge bills except for regular maintenance. Replaced the a/c once. I had it for about 6 years without any reliability issues. It never broke down or got me stranded. Or had wheel bearing issues due to the bigger wheels (I did get new bearings when I got the car) Mine was a '94 8 valve 1.6. Even had a choke. I honestly regret getting rid of the car. If Taiwan’s tax laws were a bit different I would have just kept it.

My 2006 Grand Vitara 2.0 has a lot fewer trade-offs, but still capable. I kept it stock. It has a nice leather interior, more practicality, and refinement. Also very reliable. It has been my gf’s daily driver and farm vehicle for more than 6 years. I wanted to replace it a few times, but my girlfriend refuses. True story: last month we were ready to sign the paperwork for a CX-5 for her. Last minute cold feet and actual tears, she has separation anxiety from the Vitara, so we are keeping it for now…

The Vitara JP (2.7) was not economical in terms of fuel and tax, and the Jimny is overpriced for what you get.

Have a look at the following Facebook groups:

1 Like

Yeah, that was why I didn’t buy it when I got my car.

Thanks for the FB groups, will check.

@thesublimenakedfairy you said that you couldn’t pass the inspection anymore because the suspension had been lifted. I have heard that the change can be registered at the MVI office and “validated”? did I get it wrong?

You could be right, given the fact that there are so many modified vehicles around.
I never looked into it.

1 Like

Isn’t that the use pattern that the “Something for the weekend, Sir?” softroader SUV was invented for?

Toyota RAV4? The original.
See a few of the Mk1 (which IMO look the best) around, though finding a non-knackered one might be too difficult.

Nissan X-Trail? Lots in Taiwan, and IIRC they carried on producing the older design here for longer (a good thing), though some, maybe a lot of them in Taiwan, might be 2WD.

Andrew Saint-Pierre White rates it, and he’s done some off roading.

2 Likes

I like the looks of the old RAV4, and I considered it when I bought my current car here. Not saying I won’t ever buy it, but now I’m looking for something that gives me a slightly more complete off road experience, a car with at least with reduction gear and a more sturdy chassis. There are “roads” and terrains that literally twist the car and that stress in the long run can’t be good for the car. I was told that the Nissan X-Trail chassis was made of chewy gum, and I believe it.

Started to watch the video and the guy’s saying “so, is the RAV4 any good off road? well, it is, but it is quite limited. especially when you are in rutted situations like this, I can just hear the exhaust scraping”. Well, that says a lot. I’ve driven in places like that and much more demanding in Taiwan, with a 2WD with greater ground clearance. Also I’ve put quite a lot of kilometers on a friend’s 4WD (almost a proper off road car) and I start to appreciate the capabilities.

I guess I want a toy and that’s it. I want the experience, making some compromises and being aware of the limitations of a cheap off roader even when off road. With the cheap toy I can do more off road, and do some of the stuff I do now but much better. It’s just that many other things will be worse xD, including:

• speed
  • acceleration
  • safety in a crash
  • handling curves
  • probably AC
  • cargo space
  • passengers space
  • noise in cabin
  • comfort?
  • more?

The list is long, I know haha.

Then it seems like an Escudo is perfect for what you want! Hope you get a nice one!

1 Like

Not knocking that, though regarding what one can do without a “proper” off-roader, there’s a WW2 Long Range Desert Group truck that was brought back from the Libyan desert around 1970 displayed in The Imperial War Museum, London,

Its displayed just as it was recovered, and is one of the best exhibits they have, IMO.

2WD Chevrolet with the cab roof cut off.

But I’d guess you don’t want a 2WD Chevrolet truck with the cab roof cut off either.
2WD Zace truck? If you have “lifestyle” pretensions you could keep the roof on.

My off-road experience is limited to

(a) Some rather timorous forays into the Australian outback in a Subaru Forrester (a nice car, and seemed capable, but still a softroader I suppose, and it wasn’t mine so I didn’t push it or myself.

(b) A pretty “hard core” trip (steep angles, big drops, rock scrabbly surfaces) in a hired Daihatsu Fourtrack, in Cyprus.

I wouldn’t have done the latter voluntarily, but there was a big storm, the coast road washed away, and the only way out was up. GF was a bit scared, and more than a bit furious, somehow convincing herself I had arranged the whole thing so I could “play”.

I made her get out on the dodgy bits, but she was sulking and wouldn’t take any pictures.

I had a great time, so I get the appeal, but its a question of where, and how much, you compromise.

If you want a "“no compromise” dedicated off-roader, the elephant in your room would seem to be the Jeep Wrangler. Quite a few of them in Taiwan. Also some Cherokee, for a little bit of compromise. A few Landrovers but hardly any Series 3/Defenders

The Fourtrack seemed (to me) to be very much the real thing, though I don’t remember it having diff locks.

There was a staffer at the university I taught at with a Bertone Freeclimber (deluxe version of the Fourtrack with a BMW engine) that I rather coveted (despite the BMW engine). Wikipedia says “for European sales” so I dunno what it was doing in Taiwan, or what happened to it.

2 Likes