Swimming in the time of Covid19

Ok, maybe I’m not so envious. Hope you get to enjoy your swim. I have to make do with the lake in Bitan, when I’m feeling adventurous in these times of uncertainty.

1 Like

Checking at Songshan Sports Center and the pool close to my house (also a public pool), I see that there are times listed (times for swimming, lessons, and cleaning), as well as maximum occupancy (for each of the 25m and 50m pools in the case of Songshan).

But there is no sign-up. Maybe there is no sign-up and you’re supposed to go, line up, hope for the best, etc.

Please update anyone if you have better information.

2 Likes

Information from Zhonghe sport center

微解封期間營業時間 : 14:00~22:00 / 疫情期間公益時段及公益課程暫停。Business hours from 14:00 to 22:00 , however starting from 16:30 the pool is open to public
疫情期間現場容留人數 : 80人 一條水道限10人 ; 不開放室外泳池 。Limited to 80 people at the pool but only 10 people are allowed swimming ?
▲入場請 配合量體溫、消毒、戴口罩及簡訊實聯制與入場民眾造冊
▲入場及非游泳時需 全程配戴口罩 ,泳池邊設有物品放置區,游泳時請將口罩
掛至放置區,並記好擺放位置。wear a mask during swimming and non-swimming??
▲中心備有夾鏈袋,考量環保及個人衛生,建議自備口罩收納袋 The sport center has zipper bags. bring your own mask storage bag
▲若需飲水請保持間隔距離1.5公尺。If you need to drink water, please keep a distance of 1.5 meters
▲報名110-3期(5.6月)游泳課程未上課之堂數,採全數退費。refund for May , June swimming lessons
▲來館前請先確認現場容留人數及可入場時段。Before coming to the swimming pool, please confirm the number of people on site and the time of admission ?
▲家教課程請與教練預約上課時間。For private swimming lessons , please make appointment with the coach
全館皆禁止飲食 。Eating and drinking are prohibited

入場時段
▲14:00~16:00 僅開放教學使用 Only open for teaching use
▲16:00~16:30 現場清潔消毒 On-site cleaning and disinfection
▲16:30~22:00 開放民眾使用 open to the public

more info:

2 Likes

I believe this is 80 people in the entire swimming pool area (they must do it by total floor area), and 10 people per lane! That’s a helluvalot of people in a single lane. I can’t handle it if it’s three (including me).

3 Likes

Ten people per lane.

Why don’t they open the outdoor pool?

2 Likes

I think this says that you need a mask at all times except when you’re swimming. Easy enough as there are little cupboard places at every pool where I swim.

This is good info. So there’s no registration. You check the number of people at the pool on the website then proceed to the pool if you think you can get in.

2 Likes

Some local news videos about the Reopening of swimming pools

there are some pools that don’t want to open since there are so many government regulations that need to follow

2 Likes

Has anyone gone to a pool yet? My Strava contacts are slowly starting to head to the pools again but I personally have not been back. I’m very curious how things are under the new rules.

1 Like

No, sadly. My usual pool looks unlikely to open for a while yet. That makes sense, seeing as how it’s a university pool that’s primarily for (currently absent) students and (also mostly absent) staff. It probably won’t open again until students are back on campus, whenever the heck that happens.

There’s another nearby that I’m considering going to, but they’re currently only open for two hours in the afternoon, and then three hours at night - I’m not sure how that’ll work. Plus the need to drive or walk back home, without having a shower, isn’t exactly appealing. I’m also confused about the social distancing rules, how they affect the number of people in a lane, and whether or not you’re allowed to pass.

I’m definitely eager to get back in the water. Back problems that mostly go away when I’m swimming are now starting to reappear.

It seems most have this type of schedule. And for the night time slot, 20:30 - 22:00 for the pool closest to me isn’t ideal because I’ll be too wound up when I get back home to sleep early. I noticed the 50m pool at Songshan has a decent time slot for me, but then like you mentioned, no shower after swimming wouldn’t be great at that location.

I’ve heard that the numbers are low so for now, social distancing isn’t a huge issue.

I’m guessing that they’re not going to be controlling things like passing.

To me, if I go, it will be a gamble that we are mostly safe here in Taiwan because that can’t be good with masks off and the heavy breathing in close proximity to each other.

1 Like

Expanded hours starting 9/1 at the pool in my area. Time to get back in the water, I believe.

2 Likes

First swim in over 5 months! It was an embarrassing time for 1000m but I was fully expecting that. I had my own lane at around 7:45 am. Mask wearing is necessary until you get in the water. People (mostly older folks when I was there) weren’t really holding fast to this rule and the lifeguards didn’t seem to care. It was very empty and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Glad to be back in the pool. The smell of chlorine on my skin is wonderful, even if I need to take my mask off to take a big whiff!

4 Likes

Yesterday was my first time back in the water. Felt great!

Yeah the masks are a bit weird. I wore a mask between the shower and the pool: which of course meant the mask was quite wet, since I’d just stepped out of the shower. Same later after exiting the pool.

Time to remember what on earth I was working on for turns and technique back in the spring.

3 Likes

I remember what I was working on. Breathing to the left then immediately to the right before my flip turns was one thing. And I had some times in mind for the 1000m and 1500m distances. I think it will take a long time to get back to where I was. This is also because I have a front deltoid injury that I think I got from cycling (how does that even happen?!). Strangely, it feels better after today’s swim even though there was pain during the swim.

I also enjoyed using my Garmin for the first time in the pool today. Big numbers on the screen that I can see clearly and quickly, and it just looks better than my swimming watch.

Anyway, I’m definitely looking forward to getting my times back to a respectable level.

1 Like