Swimming in the time of Covid19

I don’t know - just talked to a friend who said pools are open and he’s heading over to find out.

I think it’s likely that showers remain closed because they are closed in every other kind of place. Pools should be safe because we actually know that covid doesn’t last in chlorinated pools though, I suppose, a few folks here will argue that perhaps it could mutate and learn to swim through the water.

I do sort of look forward to the rules in pools.
1). Scan in using QR code.
2). Check temperature using hand sanitizer machine that provides random numbers between 36 and 37.
3). Dress in locker room.
4). Have attendant spray you with bleach before you enter pool.
5). Toilets are open but no toilet paper provided to prevent spread of covid.
6). No soap in sink either though that’s nothing new.
7). Masks must be worn unless you are in the water.
8). When in water, you can lower your mask below your chin.
9. People must get out of water every 15 minutes to re-check temperatures in hand sanitizer machine that provides random numbers between 36 and 37.

4 Likes

I thought they weren’t going to be opened yet under Level 2. From Taiwan Centers of Disease Control, emphasis added:

C. Venues that remain closed under the Level 2 epidemic alert:

1. Leisure and entertainment venues: …
  2. Educational facilities and venues: community colleges (registration for fall term classes is open, but in-person classes are suspended), senior learning centers, study centers, swimming pools, and other similar venues.

Source:
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/C-9A7siqyLWsca5Qb6npkA?typeid=158

1 Like

No idea. I will report back if I hear anything. I was surprised to hear it because the mask thing between locker room and pool could be…problematic being that is the reason the CECC has provided for not wanting people to swim in beaches.

1 Like

Including surfing?

So like, I can swim as long as I have a board with me?

Been trying to find this info but its hard sifting through all the info.

I think that surfing is now good. If you call off though, you are sort of out of luck because swimming is illegal.

Note - I responded here because you direct quoted me but…I really don’t know. I went looking for an unrelated policy last night and found five announcements and needed to compare dates then go a search through Google limiting the dates to be sure that another notice hadn’t been released since the newest policy that I read.

@MalcolmReynolds could probably help you.

1 Like

I think you could paddle out, make sure your surf leash is velcroed tightly, then swim off into the sunset with the surfboard being pulled behind you. I don’t think anyone could say a thing.

I have a boogie board that I have barely used. I’m very tempted to take up the sport just to get in the water in a safe location. Don’t trust the safety of the pools just yet. I swam in a river last weekend in Hualien. It was nice to get back in the water but the river was a bit rough and the water murky with the recent rains.

1 Like

Surfing is ok, but you’ve got to wear a mask.

白沙灣 有開放戲水 但必須 (全程戴口罩)衝浪下水也是~ 感謝大家的配合

I went yesterday from 08:30-12:30. There were only 4 of us and from 11:30-12:30 I was by myself. I still had the mask “on”, but it was around my throat. When I got out of the water, I pulled the mask back up to comply with the a Covid theater.

Actual swimming is not allowed, but there were people who had their masks on and they were wading up to their knees and not being messed with by the surf rescue team.

So, want to get around the no swimming rule? Bend it a bit? Then get a surfboard or a body board, leash it to your body and go out into the waves. Do not forget to wear a mask. When you get sufficiently far enough away from shore, you could probably lower the mask and swim dragging the board by the attached leash. Also, you shouldn’t do this right in front of the surf rescue platform. Baishawan is huge and if you go to the beach closest to Lin Shan Peninsula, there won’t be any surf rescue personnel or many people and you can have more freedom. But have a mask on you at all times and don’t ditch the board.

I’ve heard that they are going to issue a typhoon sea warning tonight, so the beaches will be closed tomorrow, so get in this afternoon if you can. If you try to surf after the Typhoon sea warning is issued, you will probably be arrested. Ask me how I know…

Time to suit up and hit the beach. Later!

3 Likes

My son was bitching because surfing was allowed in most of Taiwan, but some local official still declared it closed in Taitung.

So things are moving on swimming pools opening, but I have no idea how quickly:

2 Likes

Swimming pools possibly opening on Tuesday? I wonder which pools will actually open, and how much of a hassle using them will be.

And anyway, my campus’s running track is now open, but only Monday to Thursday, 8am to 6pm. If that’s what the track is doing, I doubt the pool will be particularly accessible anytime soon. That 30 minutes of sanitation … that’d be extraordinarily labor-intensive, wouldn’t it? (Setting aside how much it matters.)

1 Like

And they opened it up- just in time for the typhoon :cry:
Never fear, they’re starting to get all sorts of inquiries about stays and lessons- seems a lot of people are tired of being cooped up and want to come out to play.

2 Likes

I’m reading Tuesday for NTC. I guess there’s a sign-up system. I live not far from one pool so I think I’ll start swimming again. I mean I can go home to shower afterwards since the showers aren’t open, as mentioned in the tweets you shared.

I really wonder what the sign-up will be like and also how the numbers will be controlled. If only a small number of people are allowed in at a time, in some ways, this could be very nice, as long as you can actually get signed up to swim that is.

1 Like

4 Likes

For New Taipei city , Swimming pools and Football field will be open from Tuesday 10th

However the showers, paddling pools, hot and cold pools, SPA areas, Steam room, etc. are not open yet

【游泳池防疫指引】
:round_pushpin:泳客、教學及選手訓練分時入場,採預約或造冊,落實實聯制。In order to use the pool you need to make a booking in advance
:round_pushpin:教練每7天快篩1次,須全程戴防水口罩,限10名學員在獨立區域上課,選手訓練另以專案核定。For swimming classes the coaches must wear waterproof masks throughout the entire class . Only 10 trainees are allowed to attend classes in an independent area
:round_pushpin: 25公尺水道限10人使用,各場次間隔30分鐘消毒,提高水檢次數及水中氯含量。25mt pool limited to 10 people and cleaning every 30 minutes?
:round_pushpin:不提供個人泳具、吹風機。Personal swimming equipment and hair dryers are not provided
:round_pushpin:非游泳時全程戴口罩,並儘速離場。 Wear a mask during non-swimming, and leave as soon as possible
:warning:不定期加強稽查,如有違反規定將依法裁處。

EDIT:
please notice that Public sport centers are Open from 14:00 to 22:00 , also you can not rent any sport equipment like racquets , balls , swim caps , as well the showers are closed

營業時間1400-2200 泳池開放了喔! 場地租借請利用網路預約!相關規定請詳閱各項規定

sources:

https://dasc.cyc.org.tw/news_content/3157

2 Likes

Here is the reservation form for the Songshan Sports Center weight room. There’s a QR code you need to scan, which I did using the QR code reader in Line. Anyway, a simple form and it shows how many reservations for each time slot. I did this with a desktop computer and cell phone combination. Not sure how it will work using a cell phone only. But I imagine it’s not hard to figure out. Also, I imagine the pools will be run in a similar way.

http://sssc.com.tw/2021/07/21/微解封期間717-726,線上預約健身房入場/

Edit: The above link takes you to the Songshan Sports Center homepage. Scroll down and there’s a link to the form directly. No QR code scanning needed. Fairly simple.

1 Like

Pool where I live still not planning on allowing swimming. They saw only swimming as exercise is allowed, so not opening for now.

1 Like

I asked at my campus pool today; I just meant to check the door for announcements, but was surprised to see staff inside. Anyway, they’re definitely not opening in the next couple of days; uncertain after that. They’re still figuring things out.

Seeing as how summer days are usually kids lessons - assuredly all canceled this summer - and a small handful of teachers, I’ll be mildly surprised if they open before regular classes resume. If they do open, I suspect I’ll have the pool basically to myself, which is partly great and partly a rather odd feeling.

1 Like

You have the pool to yourself. I envy you.

1 Like

Well, I don’t have it back yet, but it’s certainly something that occasionally happens in summers or during exam weeks. It’s mostly great, yes, but also weird to know that IF the lifeguards are looking at anything besides their phones (a pretty big if), they’re looking at me - it’s almost stage fright! Plus it feels odd walking through a facility with five or six staff and wondering if I’m the only person who’s even going to use the place that day.

Knowing Taiwan, they’ll open the pools but insist you wear a mask while swimming.

2 Likes