Swimming not allowed at Zhongjiaowan (中角灣)?

So I’m swimming at 中角灣 and the lifeguard whistles me over. Tells me this is a surfing only beach. I argued and said sounds like total bs to me.

I checked with police in jinshan they tell me it’s a public area. Suggested it may have been a language misunderstanding.

Was there a couple of weeks earlier swimming and it was full of families kids all enjoying the water. Today was nobody swimming just a few surfers wannabe posing on the flat water.

Anyone know wtf is going on? Does lifeguard even have legal authority?

1 Like

Don’t know. Maybe situationally based on water, wind, weather, ghost month conditions?

perhaps a different section of the beach?

Perhaps he is being nice and avoiding a problem with bully surfers?

Or bully “fishermen”? :no_mouth:

4 Likes

I’ve got an odd feeling this might be the correct answer.

Nah he said go swim somewhere else. Surfers only beach.

Or maybe there was an incident?

Is the “get off my wave” a thing with surfers in tw?

Legally I don’t see how can designate an entire beach as surfers only. Its a public area, surfers have no special authority.

3 Likes

Iagree, it should be as you say. to be honest I am surprised a surfing beach actually has a lifeguard…unless there is an event happening. maybe just a surfer in red shorts telling you to piss off?

I have met some nice surfers here. But there are stories of the movie types as well. Such as the Spanish guy getting stabbed a couple years back.

just dont escalate things, should be fine.

1 Like

Let me ask him. I know him quite well.

I just sent him a LINE message.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I receive a response.

3 Likes

Ha ha. You haven’t been in Taiwan very long I see.

1 Like

Well the police my friend spoke to simply said beach is public area. Seems like total bs. Went past today zhongjiaowan empty af. Locals cafes will crumble if relying on surfies only.

There’s always baishawan , a bit further for me but what the heck. Baishawan is best!

1 Like

But…just remember…at 白沙灣 you can only “swim” (stand in the water) inside the swim lines. There is positively no swimming allowed outside the swim lines. Outside the swim lines is for board sports only. So, you’ve got that going for you at 白沙灣.

I’m guessing that the swimming prohibition at 中角灣 is due to the fact that there is no designated swim area with swim lines and there is only one life guard.

All rules about the beach and usage of the beach are made by and controlled by the North Coast Administration. The main office is in the 白沙灣 visitor center. The life guards only uphold the NCA policies, they don’t make them.

北海岸及觀音山國家風景區

3 Likes

Unless you swim with an approved float.

Well, yeah…but that’s not what all the foreigners bitch about when they come to 白沙灣. They don’t want to use a float and they don’t want to listen to the life guards. It’s an every day thing.

3 Likes

Things may have chilled a bit there. I was swimming outside the floats, on the side near the shops for over an hour today with no dramas. Will try the North District council re surfing only at zhongjiaowan thanks for that​:+1::+1:

Do you have to pay for the float?

You rent one or bring your own. Same thing with surfboards or bodyboards.

2 Likes

@scommy

I just got off the phone with my friend the lifeguard at 中角.

I was wrong in my assumptions as to why swimming isn’t allowed. It has nothing to do with the number of lifeguards and has nothing to do with the lack of a dedicated swimming area with swim lines.

The rules were established by the Taiwan Coast Guard Administration and is enforced by the North Coast Administration via the lifeguards.

So, what’s the reason? Coast Guard ruling. That’s it.

Probably because that area is pretty deep and can have some severe rip currents at times. But, this is just my personal opinion.

Here’s a picture of the official sign regarding the established rules and regulations of 中角.

On the map, the red lined boxed in area shows where only surfing is allowed. No swimming.

On the right, the red triangle with the exclamation mark says in English, “Swim at your own risk”. That’s incorrect. Check out the Chinese. It’s says, " 請注意安全". Nothing about swimming at all. So, as always in Taiwan, Chinese language always takes precedence over any half-assed English translation. No swimming.

On the left side, it shows the rules. Pay particular attention to part 2.

1. Items and scope of recreational activities in the water area:
    (1) Only surfing and stand-up paddle activities are allowed in this water area.

Then, see Part 3 for the penalties you can face if you ignore any of the established rules.

1. Acts violating the provisions of this Announcement shall be fined between NT$10,000 and NT$50,000 in accordance with Article 60, Paragraph 1 of the Tourism Development Act, and their activities shall be prohibited; Paragraph 2 of Article 60 stipulates a fine of not less than NT$30,000 but not more than NT$150,000, and prohibits its activities

So, that’s it. It’s a rule.

Only surfing is allowed at 中角 based on the Coast Guard who is the ultimate authority over all beaches in Taiwan.

You mentioned you spoke to a police officer regarding this issue. The administration of the beaches is not the police department’s responsibility or jurisdiction and they have absolutely no say over how the beaches are run.

So, I recommend that you contact the Coast Guard Administration to lodge a complaint about the no swimming rule at 中角 and see if you can get it overturned. Good luck with that one.

Here’s another option. The red line boxed in area does not include 新金山海水浴場 on the right side of the map on the other side of the river jetty. I’d try that area. It’s usually empty on the weekdays and it’s a good place to swim and also good for beginning surfers. Very gentle waves and not particularly dangerous. My favorite part is that it’s usually empty.

11 Likes

Yea remember even at baishawan there are rip currents, which is why they probably have swim lines and stuff. Most Taiwanese just bathe in the sea and is probably unaware of the dangers.

Great suggestion will take a look next time. That’s so close 863 bus goes right there.

Thanks so much really helpful.:pray::tada::+1:

2 Likes