Tabbed browsing on Mozilla Firefox

I’m trying o get tabbed browsing set up, but up to now it’s been all for nought. Any advice. Please dumb down. I’m not technologically inclined.

Instal Tabbrowser Extensions from: piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xul.html.en

Restart Firefox

Choose one of the presets (I prefer Heavy user)

Enjoy

Isn’t this standard? Just right-click on any link and select “Open Link in New Tab”.

Have a look under menu item

Tools\Options\Tabs

If you have a mouse with a wheel on it then Mozilla should automatically be set up so that when you push the mouse wheel it will open as a tab.

Thanks. I’ve just tried it and it works. My lfe as just become easier.

I didn’t bloody well know that.

Great clue. I normally copy the link and go Ctrl T to open a new window in Firefox then paste the bastard in.

Thanks lots.

I use “Opera”

It is similar to Firefox with it’s tab browsing but it has a couple of extra Doo-Dad’s that I like.

You can download it for free here

opera.com/

Firefox has a spell checker option? I’ve not found it and desprattly need it.

Great clue. I normally copy the link and go Ctrl T to open a new window in Firefox then paste the bastard in.

Thanks lots.[/quote]
Thats not true. Pushing my scroll wheel locks the scroll function (auto scrolling) so that all i have to do is move the mouse up and down to scroll as opposed to rolling the wheel. Disabling autoscrolling may produce that result, but I haven’t tried it.

Earlier advice was better…set your tabs preferences to 1. Open links from other applications in “a new tab oin the most recent window” 2. "force links that open in a new windows to open in a new tab. 3.

Right click and open in new Tab works too…

and… command + t…will open a new tab too.

Chou

Thanks lots.[/quote]
Thats not true. Pushing my scroll wheel locks the scroll function (auto scrolling) so that all I have to do is move the mouse up and down to scroll as opposed to rolling the wheel. Disabling autoscrolling may produce that result, but I haven’t tried it.
[/quote]

Are you sure you’re hovering over a link when you click that scroll wheel, choudofu?

Thanks lots.[/quote]
Thats not true. Pushing my scroll wheel locks the scroll function (auto scrolling) so that all I have to do is move the mouse up and down to scroll as opposed to rolling the wheel. Disabling autoscrolling may produce that result, but I haven’t tried it.
[/quote]

Are you sure you’re hovering over a link when you click that scroll wheel, choudofu?[/quote]

1 hunnert percent positive that I am not. I get a samll icon (a.k.a. idiot light) on screen when I do it. A circle with a black dot that has a triangle pointing up above it, and an inverted triangle pointing down below the dot. All encompassed in a circle. Then I auto scroll real cool smooth like.

[quote=“chodofu”]

1 hunnert percent positive that I am not. I get a samll icon (a.k.a. idiot light) on screen when I do it. A circle with a black dot that has a triangle pointing up above it, and an inverted triangle pointing down below the dot. All encompassed in a circle. Then I auto scroll real cool smooth like.[/quote]

Hmmm… strange.
Without changing ANY settings, mine works fine. If I’m NOT hovering over a link at the time (and getting the finger, so to speak), then I get the scroll thing exactly the same as you. If I’m hovering over a link it works fine. Oh well…

EDIT!!! Hold on a minute. You AREN’T hovering over the link, you say? Then that’s what the problem is. It doesn’t open a new tab without a link (with the scroll wheel, that is).

[quote=“irishstu”]

EDIT!!! Hold on a minute. You AREN’T hovering over the link, you say? Then that’s what the problem is. It doesn’t open a new tab without a link (with the scroll wheel, that is).[/quote]

oh, you wise man. must be the guinness working :wink:

Guinness is good fer yer brain! :smiley:

Oh and incidentally, as long as you have at least two tabs open, then you can just double-click to the right of the existing tabs to open a new blank tab (same as clicking ctrl-t).

Just got home to find that my dozen or so Firefox tabs aren’t loading, and haven’t been all day according to the missus. Keep getting the “Problem loading page…unable to connect” message.
So I’m currently using the poxy old msn browser, which is working fine.
First time this has happened. Can’t find any news online about current Firefox glitches. I’ve checked all the connection settings, and all seems fine there.
Is anyone able to help?
Cheers

[quote=“Infidel”]Just got home to find that my dozen or so Firefox tabs aren’t loading, and haven’t been all day according to the missus. Keep getting the “Problem loading page…unable to connect” message.
So I’m currently using the poxy old msn browser, which is working fine.
First time this has happened. Can’t find any news online about current Firefox glitches. I’ve checked all the connection settings, and all seems fine there.
Is anyone able to help?
Cheers[/quote]

There are some things that don’t work properly in tabbed browsing from my experience. If I try to open a tab to open a link to a video it most often doesn’t work. It usually gives me some message about Java script I think it is.

A new version came out today (1.5.0.2) and autoinstalled for most of us.
My guess would be there was a glitch in your update or a conflict with an extension you are using.
Try re-installing.

Alternatively, maybe your firewall software needs to be told that you trust the new Firefox with net access.

[quote=“Rik”]A new version came out today (1.5.0.2) and autoinstalled for most of us.
My guess would be there was a glitch in your update or a conflict with an extension you are using.
Try re-installing.

Alternatively, maybe your firewall software needs to be told that you trust the new Firefox with net access.[/quote]

Hmm, that sounds highly likely. How do I do that?
I can’t really be bothered going through the hassle of a re-install right now, but if necessary I’ll do it over the weekend.
Cheers, Rik!

At the top right corner (just under the close X button) there is a circle with an arrow in it. Click on the circle and it will tell you if there are updates available. I believe that the circle will be green if there are available updates.