Tailor-made suit / Tailor / Tailored suits, Taipei

I’d like to have a suit made. One that is fairly trendy (modern style) that I can wear for work, wedding photos, interviews, saving the world from Dr. No and Oddjob, etc.

I prefer a tailor in Taipei area, reasonably priced of course.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I had my tux made in the basement level of the Howard Plaza Hotel. Very well done, I thought. The name of the place is Gentle Handleman. Cost me 23k, I think…

Thanks Maoman. That’s convenient for me; I’ll check it out tonight or tomorrow.

Also, I found some suit, shirt and pants advice that brought a few smiles to my face:

themorningnews.org/archives/ … _suits.php

Try H.K Tailor in the bottom of the Hyatt. I’ve has some blazers and shirts made there.

If I take my Paul Stuart shirts there they make very good copies.

Nathan street, Hong Kong. There must be hundreds of them there.

There is a row of tailor shops near LungShan MRT. When you come out of exit 1 make a U-turn and walk past the construction fence. Can’t vouch for them though.

In Tienmou, Terry the Tailor on Chungshan N. Rd has been in business for a long time. Don’t quite remember his prices though.

Is there a general price range people know about? I heard your regular worsted-wool custom tailored suit ranges from 8-12K. Confirm, deny?

I just picked up 3 nice ones in Bangkok. Seriously, the way I look at it, a suit should last a long time. Sukhomvit area is full of them. For what? The cost of 1 suit, you can spend a weekend in BKK. Spend a morning shopping around, looking at fabrics, bargaining, getting measured, chatting with the tailors (who all speak excellent English), then choose your fav 1 or 2 guys and put your orders in…quick as Kodak, you got a lifetime of “to the 9s”.

I can even have my guy ship them here, by placing order over interenet as he now has my size in his DB. But what’s the fun in that?

I got raw silk and some silk blends, lovely texture…lightweight and cool…perfect…and here’s the best part…Only 99USD each. Sure , I even saw some signs for 89USD. With shirts and ties…I had 3 Chinese (Nehru?) collared shirts of green, purple and black silk made…I wish I had more done. The ties are the nicest I’ve ever had, but now I don’t need them anymore. :wink:

Worth the trip. Next time I am getting 5.

Sounds great. Any recommendations for specific tailors in BKK? If you don’t mind, please post them here or PM me.

I have traveled to BKK many times but have never had anything done by tailors. It seems as if there are hundreds of them. Your recommendation would be of great value, especially as you seem pleased with the work that was done.

Thanks a lot.

Sounds great. Any recommendations for specific tailors in BKK? If you don’t mind, please post them here or PM me.

I have traveled to BKK many times but have never had anything done by tailors. It seems as if there are hundreds of them. Your recommendation would be of great value, especially as you seem pleased with the work that was done.

Thanks a lot.[/quote]

All I have is an email addy. You are most welcome to it.

vashijef@loxinfo.co.th

Checked it 2x on 2 different sources…it is .co not .com.

I can give you easy enough directions. Stay at The Atlanta if you want cheap and easy and no sexpats…walk back up the street (Soi #?) and the first real right hand turn you can make thru a couple of pubs and massage parlours and you’ll see Vashi’s Tailor’s on your left before you get to the next Soi… He has a lot of hand-written cardboard signs advertising various specials, especially the 99USD for suit, tie, shirt combo…

He had some smokin’ smoking jackets in the display, but who knows now.

But seriously, I would just walk around the area, up this Soi, down that one…each one has comprable price and you’ll soon find out what bottom-line is with them. Fabrics are the only thing I can see varying. My next trip, I will buy 5 suits from probably 3 different tailors.

Happy Hunting and

Thanks a lot for the help, Toe Save.

I’ve had meals at the Atlanta’s restaurant (good Thai food, great annotated menu), but I’ve never stayed there. It looks cool–it’s got that whole retro look, great lobby, and a swimming pool out back.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am hoping that a trip to Bangkok will be in the works in the weeks (months) to come. What better reason than to have some suits made?

Cheers.

Do you know if I can get a suit made for a woman as well?
I would appreciate replies from the Bangkok recommenders but Taipei would really be where I’m looking.

23,000 NT for a custom made suit is rather expensive! Can get it for approx. $500 Canadian (13,500 NT) in Toronto for the jacket and pants. And I thought the labour costs in Taiwan was cheap. It should be…??? I was going to wait until I’m back in Taiwan to get a custom made suit. Hmmm… Too bad I’m not going to Bangkok any time soon. drat.

Hello Kello,

You sure could get your desires filled in BKK. Vashi would love to help you out. It may be worth the trip.

Just an update on Keiththehessite’s recom. I am actually sitting on Nathan Street right now. There are hundreds of them…so I priced a few. Much more costly than BK. Hotel rooms here are much more expensive too. I am staying in a dive in Kowloon for 480HK a night. (Almost 2500NT)

I stayed in a very comfortable room in Sukhomvit for 800 Baht. (Less than 800 NT)

Incidently, Nathan Street is in Kowloon, not HK.

If you look at my avatar, the shirt was handled gently by Maoman’s man. It’s lasted for several years now.

Did he get it all sweaty like that?

Good taylor-made suits should only be about 8-10K in Taipei. I had a friend come from America and he wanted a suit done while he was here. We found a place near the fabric district. He got two suits (with vests and nice imported Valentino fabric) for around 15K. This was half the price that most hotel tailors quoted him for ONE suit.

May I ask: Where is the fabric district in Taipei? Is it near (on ?) Di Hua Jie?

Excellent. Great value, especially for Taipei. Can you pass along any names or contact info for the shops or tailors you (and your friend) used?

Thanks a bunch.

I would really like some recommendations for particular stores and tailors on Di Hua Jie. The fabric district is definately Di Hua Jie, but I don’t know which tailor/store to trust.
!0,000 NT is definately reasonable. 15,000NT for 2, I would spring for.
So, anyone been there and done that?

Hi,

Where can I get a nice tailor made suit in downtown taipei?

Which major brand is good? Or maybe small shops? I don’t mind spending some money on this. everyman needs a nice suit right.

Thanks.