Taipei 101 Citizens Discount ~ Will Foreign Residents be Discriminated Against Yet Again!? ~ Update ~ Apparently Not!

I see an “.in” address in there right off.

1 Like

For a VIP experience, you can pay $3000 and leave the peasants on the 89th floor and go up to the real 101st floor for an outdoor skywalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EzZPmxs9bQ

why is there an iceberg on the roof?

If that flask falls, it’s could really hurt somebody.

We can write a book ‘Discrimination 101!’ :thinking:

Did they have a ‘jumper’ yet?

BTW, it’s not ‘A walk on the clouds’! It’s a walk in the clouds, like the Brits when it’s a foggy day, for free!

Congratulations! You won the pointless point making contest. Unless you discounted how many of those Google references were non-US, UK, AU, NZ, etc. it’s irrelevant. My point was that’s what I’ve heard people say. I stand by that. I hear Filipinos say it often. I don’t hear people from US, UK, AU, NZ, etc use that turn of phrase in regards to discounts. Maybe Indians and Irish say it. I don’t often ask deal with them in terms of giving discounts. Since the original sayer doesn’t care to replay it will remain a linguistic conundrum.

2 Likes

What makes your point more pointful than his point? :confused:

1 Like

My apologies. In the past, I occasionally enjoyed playing at being a kind of reverse pedant on the board. That is, every now and then I gave in to the impulse to correct the correctors. I thought I’d given that up, but I guess I had a relapse today. :slight_smile:

Of course, you weren’t correcting, as it turns out. You were just making an observation. But as to the Googling numbers, I wasn’t trying to correct you there; I was just goofing around on Google. But again, apologies.

I can confirm I use ‘avail of’ and was not even aware that it was somehow unusual.
It’s completely standard lingo in Ireland .

BTW this goes to show why googling something and determine it’s ‘correctness’ by popularity contest isn’t always a good idea.

In countries such as Ireland, India or the Philippines we may often use older English phrases that have disappeared elsewhere. We also mix with our own native languages to create new English phrases and words. That’s just how the English language keeps evolving !

I suppose it was a question more than a point, and it was for linguistics purposes. I wanted to know if there was any other English-speaking group in the world that used the word that way.

1 Like

I prefer to consider it wishes to Romaine observing from on high

It seems there are a couple! It sounds pretty weird to my ears, but variety is the spice of life as they say :slight_smile:

Until, eventually, it evolves into “American Engrish” :wink: :idunno: :whistle:

2 Likes

True, it’s reached its peak at that point.

FYPFY

1 Like

Yeah their website isn’t exactly helpful. Taiwan News still says Taiwan citizens

Their site says

1.國人優惠僅供中華民國國籍者使用,購票時需出示中華民國有效身份證明文件(或健保卡、居留證)

https://www.taipei-101.com.tw/tw/event/content/3296660c-abf9-4dce-8b13-f1bdfa505dc9

1 Like

That’s very helpful for people who can’t read Chinese.

It’s for people who read Chinese or know how to use translator.

1 Like