Taipei 101 Mall

Well, no, but I can tell you they’re having some kind of grand opening tonight with, you guessed it, one hundred and one local models on the catwalk. I know because my lady’s one of 'em. Hope that Hsin-Yi fault some of you guys keep mentioning doesn’t suddenly become active…

It opens today!!! Yeah!!! But I am not going to fight the crowd today, tomorrow, or Sunday. Monday will do! :wink:

OK, went to the mall during lunch.

If you like Breeze, you’ll LOVE the 101 Mall. 101 Mall is like Breeze, times, well, 101.

Jason’s the supermarket in the basement gets points for having everything, and an even better selection than Breeze’s supermarket, but I wonder just how long they’ll be selling Poptarts, canned potatoes, sugar-free Jello and instant stuffing mix, stuff that about 99% of the local population would never buy. Its weird, the Taiwanese products look sort of out of place in Jason’s high-end environment.

Another weird thing were well-dressed, handsome, 30-something white men (not counting me) scattered all about. Like having a bunch of Agent Smiths around, but in more of a Logan’s Run shopping mall setting.

You boaster, you! Was she one of those leggy things in the red mini-skirts? Droolsome, indeed!

[quote]Poptarts, canned potatoes, sugar-free Jello and instant stuffing mix, stuff that about 99% of the local population would never buy. Its weird, the Taiwanese products look sort of out of place in Jason’s high-end environment.
[/quote]
Epicurean delights indeed! :unamused: I saw their ad on the side of a bus today. Please tell me there’s stuff that’s a little more “high end” than jello mix and tinned spuds!

Reminds me of B&Q’s Grand Opening a few years back. They had handsome men in kilts swarming about. Yum! :sunglasses:

[quote=“sandman”]
Epicurean delights indeed! :unamused: I saw their ad on the side of a bus today. Please tell me there’s stuff that’s a little more “high end” than jello mix and tinned spuds![/quote]

Of course the first thing a southern Oregonian will notice is the tinned spuds and jello, but yes, they also had high-end stuff. They also had what looked like nice fresh curries and satays. And imported raspberries. Yum.

Worth risking your life for? Perhaps not, but there are enough (pricey) goodies to make a trip worthwhile. Better move fast, though, as what most Westerners consider to be goodies will probably be replaced with the inevitable paomien and jumbo packs of toilet paper when it runs out. :?

I’d like to go to the market but I’m afraid of very tall buildings, basements and earthquakes.

Hey,don’t laugh at others real fears!!!

Oh and for those who are health conscious I just heard a commercial spot on a heathy food shop on B1.Supposedly it is all the things that a health food store is supposed to be!

Now that is going to bring me down there!The shop is Jason’sMarket

Ssssssssssshhhhhh don’t tell anybody who told you…

[quote]Oh and for those who are health conscious I just heard a commercial spot on a heathy food shop on B1.Supposedly it is all the things that a health food store is supposed to be!

Now that is going to bring me down there!The shop is Jason’sMarket
[/quote]
Its just a supermarket with a fairly small section of organic health foods such as jams, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, ready-made pasta sauce and stuff like that. NT$280 for a small jar of peanut butter.
Its a bit like Breeze supermarket but with more Australian/NZ stuff where Breeze carries a lot of Japanese stuff.
It does have a lot of stuff unavailable elsewhere, so its worth the trip. Good wine selection, again far from cheap.

Well, peanut butter for NT$280?

Don’t expect me to queue up. The NT$200 plonk available in Geant is good enough for me too.

But what, all the good stuff is already gone buy now.

Thanks Sandman…Oh and,Mr He the best bargain for unfussed with peanut butter apparrently remains at Welcome supermarket in Tien Moo.
They’re high at nt250 but,according to Sandman Jason’s Market is trying to get folks to help him pay his rent at nt280.

Peanut butter is a serious matter with me.If anybody knows of a better deal on pure, unprocessed,PB please shout it out!

I had two glass jars of Adams peanut butter sent to me last year for a total of about 800nt including shipping. About a month ago I was up in Tienmu and wet to that store on jungshao sec 6 called “Williams” or “Weltons” market near the SUBWAY and to my surprize I found ADAMS all natural peanut butter. OH boy. It is truely blissful. The price is 205nt I believe.

Enjoy

Zazen, I think you mean ‘Wellman’s’ which is near Taipei American School on Chungshan N. Rd., Sec. 6. There’s some organic peanut butter at Tienmu Grocery, but not being an organic-food person, I don’t know whether it’s good or not. I haven’t been to Wellman’s for a long time (especially considering how much time I spend going to Tienmu for Western food (like Johnsonville brats).

Here’s the make-or-break question…how’s the cheese selection at Jason’s?

The Welcome store down from Tienmu grocery seems to be doing a load of organic produce ( peanut butter… hazelnut butter ? )… loads of organic cereals and jams etc.

Prices are kinda steep though for my pocket…

[quote=“Darkchild”]Thanks Sandman…Oh and,Mr He the best bargain for unfussed with peanut butter apparrently remains at Welcome supermarket in Tien Moo.
They’re high at nt250 but,according to Sandman Jason’s Market is trying to get folks to help him pay his rent at nt280.

Peanut butter is a serious matter with me.If anybody knows of a better deal on pure, unprocessed,PB please shout it out![/quote]

Well I would not know… If you claim it’s good then it’s likely to be. among Dr. Kellogg’s foods, only corn flakes made it to Denmark, the peanut butter thing never quite made it’s imprint, so I buy skippy for the kids, but I don’t really eat it.

How is the Tienmu wellcome compared to costco?

Imani, the cheese selection in Jason’s is not very big, but what they have (or had on Sunday) is outstanding, I mean in quality. Prices are maybe slightly higher, but not much, than other deli-type places – maybe around NT$200/100gr as opposed to more usual NT$180/100gr.
That said, the brie we got was running out of the rind (which of course is the best, nay, the ONLY way to have it and quite difficult to find here, as the maturation process is nearly always stopped by too much refrigeration) while the Bleu de Bresse was simply creamy perfection itself. When the Sandman is prepared to fork out nearly NT$2,000 for two pieces of cheese, you KNOW its good eatin’!

And I found out today that there apparently also at least two delicatessens somewhere in 101 in addition to the Jason’s supermarket, but I didn’t see them on Sunday so can’t comment on what they’re like.

Darkman, the brand of peanut butter is Kettle (same as those hand-made Kettle chips). There is only one ingredient listed on the bottle – organically grown dry-roasted peanuts. Nothing else whatsoever.

Well, NT$2k is what I spent in costco on 3 big pieces of cheese (a huge Danablu - among others), 3 salamis, a 2 kg bag of pretzels, a huge jar of boysenberry jam and a few other things. That will keep me happy for the next months. Could not find rye flour, but I just keep using wholegrain wheat flour for my bread.

How about the fancy clothing stores at 101 beside the supermarket?? Is it worth going / visiting?? I heard that the emergency exist wasn’t properly in use since it was pack with boxes and other junk…