Taipei 101 Mall

Went last Friday and didn’t find any interesting there, just as Sandman says - it’s similar to Breeze, a lot of boutiques (sp?). Didn’t go into the Sogo yet.
The mall appears much bigger once you are inside. You can actually walk ‘through the tower’ (well, through a corner) but not access the tower itself. It would have been nicer if the roof (middle part, the “saddle thing”) would be made entirely of glass as to give a nice view up, i.e. along the tower. Currently it’s barely visible.
Had some dinner in the food court but it was a bit hectic on Friday, so can’t really comment.

Runny brie…Sandman, don’t tease me this way. I miss having Brie and Camembert that actually has some character. Mmm…Brie and Emmental sandwiches with a slice of tomato on French bread…

Mr.He,

I wish you would have been my Dad when I was a kid.Dad was heavy into proper nutrition to which I’m glad for now but,salami and,pretzels in that amount laying around the house!We would have partied!Ofcourse since we almost drove that man toward a nervous breakdown I understand why the sugar deprivation but,some of the other things he suspected were fueling our insanity came from his genes and,no amount of selective grocery shopping was going to curb that! :laughing:

Poor guy.Hey if Jason’s is kicking Tien Moo Welcomes ass I’m dying to see what they have to offer in organic foods.Welcome has become extremely slick!

I’m waiting for next month as,I hear the crowds at 101 are outrageous right now…

Well, I am lucky. My girls all seem to think that salami is a tad too exotic. My big girl likes the pretzels, but she hardly eats, so a bit of flour won’t hurt her anyways.

My folks weren’t all that wealthy when I was small, so we got fed on the cheaper stuff. Packed salads, unhealthy foods etc. only made their entrance into the house when the folks shot the elephant, and I was 20 by then, and was moving out.

I wish some of the stores that I hear are in the Taipei 101 mall had made it into Windance here in Hsinchu. My God what a waste of space that shopping center is. Luckily they have a Warner Village which means I only have a 2 minute walk to a theatre.

Yeah, I went to Windance once, and I thought the store selection was a bit disappointing. It was pretty hyped up by people local to Hsinchu. Looks impressive from the outside though.

“Windance”? What kind of a name is that? It sounds really stupid to me. What do they call it in Chinese?

“101”, on the other hand, is very catchy indeed (in both English and Chinese), and is perfect material for the graphic artists to play with.

One thing I don’t get about Taipei 101’s logo is the three symbols of 000, with the two outside 0’s having small vertical thingies in them so that they look like 1’s. But as far as my eye can see, it looks like three zero’s. What the fuck! Very poor design job. Who did they consult on that?

In Chinese it’s “Wind City”. 風成.

Funny thing.

I was on Paogao’s blog yesterday http://www.poagao.org/pjournal.htm and was immediately inspired to go and see this yoni for my self. We spent almost an hour in traffic and got down only to find the 101 is not open due to a problem with the heavens. We went to the Italian festival instead in the New York mall across the street and had some free thick hot chocolate and a small tub of fresh gelato. It was worth the trip down but too bad we were unable to get a glimpse of the oozing brie.

I only go to Windance when I want a cup of coffee. The StarBucks there is quite nice. And the Godiva chocolate shop there has a good variety of fine chocolates. I don’t plan to go to Taipei 101 until less people go there. I mean no likes to wait in line just to go to the toilet and imagine waiting for almost everything.

Do you know that the name “Wind City” sounds like “Crazy City*” in Chinese. And I mean the two names really fit the city with it’s eccentric* people and winds that blow you off the road.

*Not intended to be taken seriously if you have a sense of humor.

Hsin Chu(

How about this one:

Apparently 101 Mall is targeting female white collar workers in the age group of 21-35 and have a monthly income between 51,000 and 80,000 NT$.

They also preferably have to spend 40,000 NT$ on shopping a month and have to go shopping 45 times a year.

I don’t know who did the market research, but I never believe they will find enough ladies fitting this profile.

Change the NT$40000 per month from “shopping” to “drinking” and maybe it could be female foreign English teachers…?? :laughing: :wink:

[quote=“bottleneck”]How about this one:

Apparently 101 Mall is targeting female white collar workers in the age group of 21-35 and have a monthly income between 51,000 and 80,000 NT$.

They also preferably have to spend 40,000 NT$ on shopping a month and have to go shopping 45 times a year.

I don’t know who did the market research, but I never believe they will find enough ladies fitting this profile.[/quote]

Seriously…the demographic they are targeting on the average probably only has a monthly income of NT$20000-$40000 a month, unless they are flight attendants. Are flight attendants considered white collar?

[quote=“Ben”]
Seriously…the demographic they are targeting on the average probably only has a monthly income of NT$20000-$40000 a month, unless they are flight attendants. Are flight attendants considered white collar?[/quote]

No, it is a blue collar job.

Speaking of marketing targets, I find the ads for the 101 mall rather disturbing. I like shopping sometimes, but what happened to doing things that don’t cost money? Even a capitalist label whore like me finds their ads a little ridiculous.

[quote=“Ben”][quote=“bottleneck”]How about this one:

I don’t know who did the market research, but I never believe they will find enough ladies fitting this profile.[/quote]

Seriously…the demographic they are targeting on the average probably only has a monthly income of NT$20000-$40000 a month, unless they are flight attendants. Are flight attendants considered white collar?[/quote]

There are quite a few people at my company that fall into this demographic particularly at the upper half of the age range. Single, still living with thier family or that female family substitute …the cat. They seem to think nothing of blowing NT$50K on some Gucci. I can understand the targetting of this segment as they are the ones with the high disposable income. I remember reading that this segment is the hottest one in Japan too.
You see the lower paid segments in every mall in Taipei…looking but not buying. They will still go to 101 as well to make the place look busy, but its those white collar single girls that spend the money.

I agree with Scuba. There are plenty of women out there making 40,000-80,000 a month and still living with mom and dad. Lots of disposable income.

They’re out there, I’m sure, but I would think they are in the minority of the age range presented. Either that, or I’m talking to the wrong people (entirely possible). Of all the local Taiwanese I have talked to in non-technical jobs, there is only one, a banker, that falls in that income range.

Heck, many people I know in technical positions and in that age range don’t even make much more than NT$50000-$60000 a month. :shock:

To give some perspective: my engineers earn 40-50k a month, one married and the other one is still living with his mom.

They’re out there, I’m sure, but I would think they are in the minority of the age range presented. Either that, or I’m talking to the wrong people (entirely possible). Of all the local Taiwanese I have talked to in non-technical jobs, there is only one, a banker, that falls in that income range.

Heck, many people I know in technical positions and in that age range don’t even make much more than NT$50000-$60000 a month. :shock:[/quote]

Yeah, the higher income earners are a smaller segment of the market, to be sure. Thing is, many of them get “subsidies” from mom and dad, who have more money.