Taipei 101 Mall

I went to “Jasons” supermarket in 101 last Friday, and found all sorts of wonderful goodies to buy there. Among other things, they have real Marmite, delicious dates, bags of nuts that include some Brazil nuts and hazelnuts, fresh raspberries, canned tomato soup, and, best of all, absolutely wonderful authentic Christmas cake that’s almost as good as my mum used to make. I’ll be going back there often.

And wasn’t there someone pining for liquorice allsorts a while ago? Jasons has Pascal liquorice allsorts (Oz brand) that are much better than the Brit Bassets brand. They also have Crunchies. And Carrs water biscuits.

Or husbands who have money.

Where the hell was the Marmite? I looked all over for it and couldn’t find anything.

Did someone say licorice? Black licorice even?

Yes, but its not what you call that salty Dutch-style stuff. Its more like candy, but its not as sweet and candy-like as English-style Bassets liquorice allsorts. I ate two bags yesterday and two more today. Its a pretty powerful laxative in those quantities. I’d forgotten about that. :blush:

Cool, will check it out, like sweet one, too.

Don’t eat too much of that stuff - 2 bags a day is definetely way too much.

FYI, you can find it just inside the entrance to Jason’s in a special display beside the bakery shop.

[quote=“Flicka”]
Where the hell was the Marmite? I looked all over for it and couldn’t find anything.[/quote]

As I’m still not familiar with the store layout, I can’t describe where I found it, except that I’d worked my way from the fruit and veggie section quite far along toward the other end when I reached the holy grail. And it’s in a fairly eye-catching position – my girlfriend noticed it from quite a distance away, even before I did (though she wouldn’t eat the stuff herself, she knows very well how passionate I am about it, and was keeping her eyes open for its distinctive waspish colours).

bumping up an old thread.

I’d say I’m really impressed with the mall… Has all the stores I need (including an excellent supermarket and bookstore)… plus a terrific Sogo (lingerie and cosmetics, what more could I ask for)

along with the fact that it’s in close proximity to a lot of other good stores (notably SKM A9, 11, etc)… I’m a happy shopper :slight_smile:

btw… Level 4 finally opened right? Because the last time I visited (February) they still had the panelling (whatever you call it) up… unfortunately I think I’ll be restricted to just window shopping on this floor though :laughing:

Jason’s gets better and better, especially now that they’ve stocked up on their Christmas fare, including mince pies and plum pudding alongside the delicious Christmas cake that had me waxing lyrical last year.

Their delivery service is also excellent. If you spend more than NT$3,000 (which is very easy to do there), they deliver free of charge. I’ve used the service several times, and they’ve always done a first-class job of boxing all the goods carefully so that nothing gets damaged in transit.

What is their delivery area? Just Taipei or anywhere in Taiwan? Possibly Ilan (Yilan)?

OOC

Taipei County’s no problem for them, but I very much doubt you’d be able to get stuff delivered to anywhere beyond the county boundaries.

dfh

They stopped carrying the reasonably priced apple chips and only had the much more expensive brand instead. How convenient… :unamused:

And those bastards still aren’t carrying Barq’s root beer despite me asking several times over the years. This after accidentally meeting the general manager of the store and telling him directly some products I’d like to see there.

He was rather pissed off at how the quality of the store sank after its opening… both in products and the service. Now it’s barely more than a glorified Wellcome with a deli (and kick-ass camembert that is so ripe it stinks up my Costco bag even through its plastic wrap and sealed brown paper bag).