🌆 Taipei City - Places to Visit

Hmm, interesting. I actually used to get their beans a lot (pre-Costco days :slight_smile: ) I liked them at the time for whatever that’s worth. The guy would roast them however I liked them, but maybe I was missing some finer point! I am not a coffee snob certainly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simmer down bud - it was a rough wag. Point is, it’s fucking close. If you prefer, as the crow flies, it’s ~9-16 miles from Danshui to Taipei (doing some rough google maps measuring), depending on what parts you’re going from / to. Happy?

That’s uncalled for, fella

1 Like

Being off by 60% is not close and only serves to spread misinformation and the whinging I get from Taiwanese. Worst rough wag ever.

And use kilometres…bud. We’re in Taiwan.

Tamsui doesnt event use Hanyu Pinyin, so its hard to know where the people in those distant northern lands stand on standardization of measurements. Its another world

2 Likes

Except it’s within the range of distances that are accurate, even as the crow flies. And 15mi, it turns out, is damn close to being spot on from Danshui MRT station to Taipei Main along the roads. So totally a legit distance to state. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No its not. To Danshui station where tourists actually go is 5 km. Putting it 20% below your estimation of 24 km.

Would you accept 20% error?

Depends for what. If someone talking generally tells me something is 12km when it’s 10km, I wouldn’t quibble about it. If I’m targeting Russians in Ukraine, it’d be problematic.

1 Like

What would your ancestors think? :pensive:

1 Like

I think we’re a couple kilometers away from where I was aiming with this thread. @Poundsand, you know any good spots that i should check out?

2 Likes

Ummm… Hmmm… I would definitely check out the national palace museum, despite the lack of love from a couple folks. Artist Village might be interesting, depending on if anything is actually open. But… Indoors… we mostly eat. :laughing: what are you interested in? Plenty of temples… shopping… food… Hot springs might be good on a rainy day?

Why not just hit up Taipei tinder?

One of the places my traveling companion took me to last time, was a nice evening for a bike ride there and NTU. I think the cabbage museum is a must-see. Seems tea/coffee/boot shopping will be the way to go on the second day

I guess i have low expectations, would rather not spend the weekend in my hotel room on tinder

Is tinder that much of a sure thing?

In my experience it is not, and i would rather not spend the weekend, alone, in my hotel room, on Tinder

You could do it from a coffee shop on Nanjing East rd watching the ass parade go by.

1 Like

With precise use of commas like that, there’s no way things could go wrong!

Guy

2 Likes

What is it about Nanjing East, a university nearby? Others have suggested the retro cafe as a must see, near the Wanhua ass district

Fong Da, while technically in Wanhua District, is at the heart of what makes Ximen fascinating—tourists (well, when this was actually a thing), the gay male scene nearby at the shops around the iconic Red Playhouse Building, youth culture nearby, and scruffy Wanhua guys, all mixed with wide-eyed foreigners, like me, enjoying some syphon coffee.

Love it! :grin:

Guy

1 Like