🌆 Taipei City - Places to Visit

Fengda coffee shop. They’re “almond cakes” somewhat similar in style to those popular mung bean cakes, if you know what I mean.

:wink:

1 Like

Not really a fan of their coffee, but I like the almond cookies…more light and crunchy than most. Also worth going for the retro atmosphere.

2 Likes

So there is no confusion for the casual visitor, we are discussing the inimitable Fong Da Coffee (蜂大咖啡), old school coffee syphon style, steps from Ximen MRT Station.

Is there a better people watching spot in Taipei than this? :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

Ximen…

Ximen is in Wanhua.

Hot Coffee in Wanhua…

1 Like

I know exactly what those quotation marks mean

not really a cake, but still an almond-based pastry, goes well with coffee

2 Likes

No? What’s not to like? Just curious.

:+1:

Yeah, that’s the main thing.

Old school dark roasts. Fong Da coffee is rocket fuel! :yum:

Guy

2 Likes

All their roasts just seem a little off to me. I feel like they don’t bring out the full flavors of the beans.

1 Like

It’s about as far removed from hipster third wave shops as you can get.

Except perhaps travelling to Tienmu to find an old stale container of Maxwell House instant coffee. :rofl:

Guy

I bought some beans there once for home, and they were a bit stale. Corroborating @Dr_Milker position.

But the shop is nice and its a cool retro-experience

1 Like

Oh god…tell me I’m not turning into a coffee snob. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nah you just know what you like! Nothing wrong with that. That’s a plus.

Just don’t get in between me and my Fong Da! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

https://wikitravel.org/en/Taipei Someone needs to update the Wikitravel for Taipei, its very TEALIT.

For example, it recommends the Core Pacific Mall as the biggest shopping center in Asia.

1 Like

I figured y’all would be a better choice for crowd sourced info than some cheap wiki!

Whoops.

Guy

It also recommends Carnegies as a good place to go for Indian food in Taipei.

Can give a top Taipei insiders tip to @TT : It isnt

1 Like

If you’re flush with cash, Joseph’s Bistro is my call.

If not, lots of other excellent options out there now: Balle Balle, Moksha, and so on.

Guy

3 Likes

Yeah, every single recommendation on there is now outdated. Restaurants, bars, hotels etc. A good reminder of how much better the city has got in terms of options in the last decade though

1 Like

Is this from a guidebook for GI’s in the 70’s?