Taipei Hiking Club Events Chat IV

ratlung and I have colds.

I’m going to consider riding my bike on Sunday with Bu Lai En if the weather is nice, which is no guarantee.

OK. No probs. After the bike show last weekend, I’m pretty motivated to go out on my bike here anyway. Might try to head over the hill to Muzha.

I’m also opting for the bike ride on Sunday instead of hiking (no hike anyway). Likely me plus one. The ride has its own thread (Hongshulin to Xindian).

That said, the weather today (Saturday) sure looks fantastic so far.

Thread split for this hike: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=47085

New hike:

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 015#524015](Sandiaoling River Trace: April 1, 2006

Right guys. The sooner I tell my wife there’s a hike this coming weekend, the more chance I have of being allowed out.
Also, a not-full-day one would be welcome (as it would also increase my chances). Don’t let me dictate though.

So… any plans for this coming weekend?

[quote=“irishstu”]Right guys. The sooner I tell my wife there’s a hike this coming weekend, the more chance I have of being allowed out.
Also, a not-full-day one would be welcome (as it would also increase my chances). Don’t let me dictate though.

So… any plans for this coming weekend?[/quote]

Stu, we need a long hike to discuss things such as domestic harmony and how you need some Stu time as well.

I’ve got shitloads on now and work all the time. Otherwise I’d love to be out there with you.

Have fun.

im riding in maokong tomorrow morning…

So, fellow tree huggers what did you get up to today? I decided to go up guan in shan again. Believe it or not we last visited in November. I looked back through the comments book where we stopped.

Anyway. I went on a bit of a ramble and discovered how I can lengthen the route, so instead of heading for the peak we would go around the side of the main peak and then climb a smaller one. Good fun it was - there were no people on the trail today, the weather was hot and it was great to be out!

The total time I spent hiking was four hours, but I had a long lunch and book break. So we could easily do it in three. If people still had energy we could continue into unchartered waters so to speak. I think we could make this a hiking club outing later in the year.

L.

New hike:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 723#526723

Anyone want to climb up Taipei 101 and raise money for charity in the process? I’m interested in climbing up the stairs at Taipei 101, but I’d be a lot more inclined to go if I could go with a group of friends. Let me know if you’re interested. Maybe I should make this it’s own thread, but I thought I’d first see what the hiking club had to say.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003301489

[quote=“scomargo”]Anyone want to climb up Taipei 101 and raise money for charity in the process? I’m interested in climbing up the stairs at Taipei 101, but I’d be a lot more inclined to go if I could go with a group of friends. Let me know if you’re interested. Maybe I should make this it’s own thread, but I thought I’d first see what the hiking club had to say.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003301489[/quote]
Hi scomargo,

I think you have two good ideas; the climb and making this a thread of its own.

Let me add an idea to that:

Why don’t we make this our hiking club’s normal hike for that weekend, on Sunday, May 21st?

We could call it “Taipei Hiking Club Scales Giant Erection for Good Cause!”

Seriously, why don’t we, even if we’re forced to adopt a G-rated hike title?

Seeker4

P.S. - Other links for more info:
canadiansociety.org/events/e … 0507.shtml
canadiansociety.org/events/i … ochure.pdf

Sounds good to me. I just don’t know if we should call this a hiking club event or not when starting the new thread. I don’t want to exclude others.

I’m even thinking about shaving my head to form a sideways mohawk (left to right across the head) connecting with my beard (which I will let grow) to make a loop of hair around my otherwise shaven head. I figure the mohawk could help raise some money if people pay me to see me make an ass out of myself. I could even end up on the local news. :noway:

I like the idea! I’d love to do that!

Can I be the pace-setter for our team? :slight_smile:

No. :cop:

You must have a well-hidden alter ego.

Also, no one is ever excluded from our hiking events. Shouldn’t be a problem.

New thread on the Taipei 101 stair climb:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 848#527848

Thanks for the feedback guys. It looks like it’ll be a lot of fun, and hopefully the manditory donations won’t put too many people off.

On the topic of charities, Animals Taiwan is holding another quiz night Sunday April 30th. Proceeds go to the organization. How about we get a Hiking Club team together?

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=47643

The Trivia night thing sounds ok, unless they hold it in Nantou or some other out of the way place :wink:

“Good Buy” Alert

Costco (in Neihu at least) is selling some pretty good camping and recreation gear now.

One of the best items is a hydration system by Camelbak.

They have the Camelbak M.U.L.E. (3 liter) for roughly $2,600 NT (Edit: Actually $2,419.) Same as U.S. retail price (no local mark-up). They have a few colors. Even has a small “dry” pocket. Nice bag.

Just for reference, you can take a look at the product on the REI website here