Taipei mechanic at your service, near Hakka Park, at the end of Shida Rd (客家公園,師大路底)

Nothing like some bike repair pr0n to the start my Monday.

Keep it up @LukeForward

Recent puzzle of Campagnolo shifter
Why would they make spring anchor plastic is beyond me.

2 Likes

Will need brake pads soon. I like these dry/rain koolstop.

I do have them in stock unless you run Campagnolo. Inbox welcome.

Swiss stop yellows for carbon rims: best i’ve found so far in the wet.

Although today nothing would have worked on the way home…

Hmmm. Yes, why WOULD you do that except for lightness? even a thin aluminium piece would be about the same weight, surely?

I come from a very traditional family.

The shifter has two cartridge bearings in the main body whereas a bushing, be it plastic(like MAVIC hub) or metal, can be much lighter and easier to manufacture.
The spring carrier with a spring anchor is where the most workload occur and they chose to make it plastic.
Anyhow I’ve managed to fix it. Test ridden 30km and counting.

1 Like

Recent repair on a SHIMANO ST-RS685. Took months to persuade the owner it’s repairable whereas local shops claimed it’s toasted, and then another week to post it over from Australia. Now it’s on my bike for 100km longevity test.

The only gripe I had with these is that whenever they had to bleed my brakes the rubber covering would stretch and not fit back in place.

Ended up having to buy new ones.

It is a very common malpractice not cleaning after a bleed. With SHIMANO it’s less problematic because mineral oil is relatively mild. Other brakes with DOT fluid can get alloy seriously corroded and rubber part degraded. Anyhow, a slippery/loose hood is never a good thing to grip on.

Exactly.

My hoods weren’t worn out and the humidity didn’t get the best of them, but I just didn’t like the idea of the hoods not being nice and tight on the shifters. Better safe than sorry?

@LukeForward, do you have hood and plate for this left hand, 9s 105 shifter?

IMG_20190814_230540

Your one appears to be ST-5700-L which is 10-speed era.
I should have some old ones, I’ll check my stock.

The Supermoderator of Laughs via Forumosa forumosa@discoursemail.com 於 2019年8月15日 週四 上午10:17寫道:

Yeah, sorry, 10s not 9. If you don’t have the front plate in stock, can you get it? I would also like a couple of hoods I guess. And if they are perfect match, wouldn’t mind them to be RED or WHITE :smiley:

But other than that, I’m not really fussy…

2 Likes

I can use the regular ones… I’m just saying I’m open minded…

1 Like

oh, and I should say that I am sorry that you appear to have recently crashed and I hope you and the rest of the bike are OK…

and yeah, matching hoods. Don’t forget to match the hood colour to something else, like the saddle or the bar tape or both.

You know the rules.

Yup, I’ve had a small stupid accident, all my fault tbh. White or red would be a perfect match for my saddle, i decided that time ago (haven’t even open yet that link). Problem is that the ones I’ve seen in those colours seemed to be slightly different shape than the original ones.

Recent service on a set of Avid Elixir CR brakes. If you are trying to name any hot potatoes in cycling industry, Avid/SRAM brakes is definitely on the list. I personally got involved years ago regarding to a warranty on a set of SRAM brakes back then. It ended up nasty and three parties - customer, shop owner and distributor, shouting at each other over the phone. I was reluctantly involved because I was the mechanic who touched it.
73388436_646622399078584_6089563752217182208_n 74798023_521682328627585_8917327652482711552_n 74804045_526679678132071_5882136588669943808_n

1 Like