Taipei rat problem

I know most Formosans have dealt with roaches at some point, but has anyone had an issue with rats getting into apartments here?
I’ve seen a fuckton of rats all around Taipei and recently saw one very close to my apartment. Is this a recent development? (I saw a few last time I lived here but now I see them daily in all areas of the city)

As long as they can cook…

6 Likes

yes, I have also seen them in the park near my house. you can go on 1999.gov.taipei website and send a message asking for them to come and exterminate. they will do it for parks,alleys etc, not inside tour house.

1 Like

Thanks I didn’t know about this!

Edit: I checked the website but it seems like it’s just for COVID related things

shit, sorry I was absent minded for a second and wrote the covid number. the website is also a number,I’ll look it up and repost.

Thank you! It’d really help

1999.gov.taipei

One day, I walked out of my apartment and because I live on the second floor, we always walk down the stairs. My daughter was first and she screamed and started running back up. I didn’t ask questions, I just ran in my house and slammed the door behind her.

A rat was coming up the stairs.

We were fucked. She was on her way out somewhere with her mom and I had to go to work. No one was opening that door first. We ended up calling the landlady to come and help us. She came and went up and down the stairs with a broom. She couldn’t see anything. After laughing at me, she left. I debated quitting my job because I obviously can’t take the risk of meeting the rat going to and from work.

In the end, I decided that we will probably need money to move house soon.

The next day, my wife met the fourth floor neighbour while my little boy was talking to my mother in law about the drama. The neighbour overheard and told us that the rat went up to her floor. When she opened the door, it ran past her into her house.

I asked where she was gonna move to? She looked confused. She told us they put traps out and caught it.

We still stamp our feet walking up and down those stairs.

1 Like

You need a cat. That’s the only way to keep rats away. Traps will get the stupid ones but the smart ones will figure out how to bypass them and get at your food. It’s either that or not have any trace of food in your house, and you have to do the same with your neighbor too, they can’t have food in their house either. Rats are attracted to them.

But when there’s a cat in the house the stupid ones become cat food, and the smart ones stay away.

2 Likes

Do the rats at least eat the cockroaches? :thinking:

1 Like

I had a rat last year. Caught it with one of those sticky rat traps and called the rat catcher to come and get rid of it.

No way am I risking getting a disease handling it. Id rather pay and let someone else do it.

It let out a horribly loud squeak when he did whatever they do.

Apparently peppermint oil, pepper and garlic deters rats from entering in the first place

Would you like to see our cat adoption page? I recommend getting two, better teenagers or grownups, and they will get rid of your pests, warm up your bed, provide entertainment and even income if you monetize their shenanigans on the internet.

See all the advantages of having cats in your life?

1 Like

Rats get so big here they eat cats!

ratsurbating?

yes

They’ll also lave a dead one on your pillow as gift.

dead one is better than live ones

It is a token of their gratitude.

1 Like

They also help with other pests… such as cockroaches, those big spiders, etc.

They are so effective at sterilizing an area that they have to kill them in Australia to keep them from causing extinctions.

1 Like

I saw a big pile of rat droppings behind my washing machine on my external laundry recently. There’s no way to get the hose water behind the huge Japanese washer drier, I only have a short hose and it’s kind of landlocked, so I filled a bucket of water and just launched its contents over the back of the machine with the aim of removing the droppings, and whatever trail these critters leave to find their way back. It wasn’t the most well thought through idea, as the tidal wave of rat shit rebounded off the back wall and washed up against my bare shins, all at a tender hour of the morning. All before my morning cup of rage. Anyway I had been missing laundry soap out there for a month, I did find out they had either dragged it back there or I had inadvertently dropped it behind there, but the whole bar had been devoured by these little fockers, they love the stuff!

2 Likes