Taipei Sports Bar

I had the Hawaii burger too and it was just like Tetris’s. I loved it though. Ray always gets the burgers to come out juicy and flavorful. I don’t know if it’s the cooking method or the quality of the meat. No complaints here.

What time does The Sports Bar open? I walked down there from work at lunch today only to find it closed forcing me to retreat back to Yungho and heat up a couple of meat pies from the freezer. I wanted to save them for tomorrow’s footy. Times anyone. Cheers amos.

Taipei Sports Bar isn’t open for lunch at the moment. They open at 6pm to whenever Ray calls it a night :wink:

With rain like we’ve been having the past week, I’m so glad he’s down the street from me. Saves me the swim.

Ray–thanks for the hospitality last night and I’ll see you this weekend. If anybody likes burritos, head over and see Ray–you get 2 MASSIVE :astonished: burritos for like $220–helluva deal. I had the chicken and they were nice and spicy and I couldn’t eat both, so they wrapped it up and it was lunch today.

Walk into the sports bar and ask the pretty bartender if she has big buns and see if she doesn’t cop an attitude. I like big buns. Them other brothers can’t deny. A big cheeseburger with a juicy meaty taste and a round thing in your face.
I had the Hawaii burger again. It was delicious with pineapples and cheese. Last time I had it without pineapple and cheese and I think I preferred it that way for its unashamed naked simplicity. I am burger hear me roar.
Hats are off. Even though the buns don’t seem to be any bigger.

Thanks Richard for the kind words and I’m happy we got the burger right this time. What I’m not happy about is that I told my manager not to charge you for the burger and she got on the phone and forgot. So the next time you come again the burger is on me.
Ray

The pc is up and running now for those who would like to check their e-mail or reseach something. Menu is complete. New pool sticks were bought and my focus has turned to opening for lunch and brunch. MLB playoff games are shown nightly. I’m working some ideas for promotions and if anyone has any good ideas please pm me. Thanks all.
Ray

Hey all… I just wanted to say how nice of a time I had at TS on Tuesday (hey, where was everyone else? :wink: ).

I took a risk and tried the Taco Burger but was greatly satisfied. The spice was not overpowering; you could taste the burger, the cheese, and yet the spice amplified everything very nicely. The fries were something special. I think I’ve only had similar fries once before state-side, so I was impressed.

Had a great time meeting Ray and Maoman. Some good pool (more on Mao’s part than mine) and conversation.

Great TV, too. Doesn’t dominate the room but is available from any angle in the place.

I’ll hope to see more of the regulars the next time I stop in. Perhaps it’ll be time to try the Mushroom & Swiss. :smiley:

Tomorrow ( Saturday ) will be our first annual Halloween party. Party starts at six with happy hour prices all through the night. Freshly slaughtered burgers will be on special for 200 NT, or try the com(boo) special for 350. Costume contest will be at 10:00. 1rst prize recieves 1000 bar credit, 2nd 500 and 3rd 250 respectively. The bar stools have all been reserved by 8 ladies who will all be in costume. There are still some tables able to be reserved. For reservation call 27071884 after 6pm. Have a great weekend all.
Ray

Hello all. Just a quick update on the bar improvements of late. The pool table was refelted yesterday. We also hired a second cook for Friday and Saturday for faster service. Another waitress was hired and seems to be fitting into the way we do things well. The thing I am most happy to report is our nachos. We now make our own chips from corn tortillas and the cheese dip is make from real velveeta cheese with salsa. This is good stuff I’m telling ya. The halloween party was a blast, unfortunately no one showed up in costume and I felt like an idiot in my clown suit. I will start working on the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday and report later on the details. One last thing, I will have the second chef working for the next forumosa happy which I believe is next Wednesday again to insure all get their meals in a timely manner. Enjoy the rest of your weekend yous!

I am happy to report that Ray, once again, has big buns. In fact, they’re
HUGE!
:notworthy: :bravo: :laughing: :bravo:

:sunglasses:

See you on Wednesday…

I went to TSB last Friday and had a giant Taco Burger with fries and a nice glass of Boddington’s on the side. Good food, nice atmosphere and comfortable place. Keep it up, Ray.

What happened to the Taipei Sports Bar ? Was there in the weekend - almost empty, just few people playing pool. Staff was asleep. And, when I ordered a bottle of white wine, they did not have any. Then around midnight, whole place was empty. We left too…

Funny, we were just talking about this an hour ago. I’ve been there a number of non-Forumosan-event times and including the employees, there were probably 10 people, max.

Aside from the not-so-yummy Caesar salad, TSB has ok food. You can also order food from The Chief next door.

I’ve been there a few times on Fridays and Saturdays and it was dead…a little embarrassing when I told my friends this is where Forumosa hosts its Happy Hours and then they see it’s dead…Maybe it’s because Carnegie’s is up the street. Or because it’s fakkin impossible to find this darn place. Seriously. The address does not match up to my map book. And the one wait staff I always see doesn’t speak Mandarin nor English. It’s point and order.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it’s fakkin cold there. I love cold, but that place is cold even for me.

Thus quoth the ray-man, nevermore.

The end of an albeit short era, is nigh. Yes, the man who brought us the very best burger in Taipei, perhaps Asia, is gettin’ out. Taipei Sports Bar has been sold. Rumour has it a certain ICRT dignitary is involved in this sale.

So Ray is done. Well-done. The great bar-owner experiment is over. He is moving on to other experiences.

Ray does assure us that the chef is staying on and that the burgers will not lose their any of their relish. But, for this reporter at least, I will miss Ray. Nice guy, tequila-savant, burger baron.

Goodbye Ray, and thanks for all the beef.

tsb opened just over a year ago and the food was indeed tasty…where will ray go after this?

He is keeping that info to himself. I tried and pried but to no avail.

Bummer :frowning:. Ray’s a good guy and hope he’ll be around for some drinks and socializing.