"Taiwan" ads pulled from Olympics

We have to correct their mistakes and demand them to call us by the proper official name!!! ~~~ Mayor Ma did this during his visit to Korea

I read that one of the reasons that China pressured the Olympic committee was because their Chinese ads for Beijing 2008 were not approved and weren’t allowed to be put up.

China: If we can’t have ours up - then you can’t too HARHAR.

Yep. Exactly.
You: Hello, where are you from?
Me: Taiwan.
You: Heh? Where in the world is that?
Me: Taiwan, you know. Taiwan.
You: Thai?
Me: Amyrhteirj#$%@ :fume: Chinese Taipei!
You: OH! Ta-i-pe-i! OHHH!

:astonished:

“Chinese Taipei” is clearly inappropriate. “Taiwan Province” would be much more acceptable …

Why is it still Taipei instead of Taibei?

Just to piss you off. It’s a taidu thing, obviously. :unamused:

[quote=“cmdjing”]Why is it still Taipei instead of Taibei?[/quote]And what’s it to you? You don’t even live here. Do we come and tell you stop using those cheapo degenerate commie characters? :raspberry:

But we do still refer to it as Peking every now and then.

Only Old China KMT Octogenarians still call it Peking.

Well yeah, Taiwan Province is being used in Mandarin all over Taiwan. The ADs, commercial, news, etc. The KMT brain-spoiler. :fume:

But then, the world would not accept Taiwan Province would they? To represent us internationally, Taiwan Province will just be plain China instead. I mean, you wouldn’t see Zhejiang Province, or Guangzhou Province, or Jiangsu Province in international events. It’ll just be China. At least Chinese Taipei gives us an identity different from China, which is the good part. lol. But the name’s ugly. :smiley:

To be original and not mix with the Chinese. To show that China changed to use simplified characters and pinyins, but not Taiwan. Therefore Taiwan is not part of China and will never be. lol. Am I hinting something? Anyways, which one do you think looks more professional and feels ‘warmer’? I’ll take Taipei. Don’t you thing Taibei is a bit ‘song’? :smiley:

Stay on topic warning :wink:
This is not a “how to Romanize Chinese characters” thread.

You read that where?

China Times (中國時報) earlier this week - can’t remember the date - if i find it i’ll put it up.

Only Old China KMT Octogenarians still call it Peking.[/quote]

Actually, there are people here in Taiwan who still refer to it as Beiping!

There are some big gaps in this story. So far I have seen no evidence that the ads were removed due to pressure from China - It is just being assumed. Did any mainland spokesperson complain, and if so, what about? And surely the Olympics Organising Commitee would have given a reason for wanting the apparently innocuous ads removed. Even if no reason was given, are Taiwanese journalists incapable of raising the issue at the committee’s frequent press conferences? If ads placed by China were really removed as someone has alleged, what was the reason for that? Pressure from Taiwan or what? Questions, questions…

mmmm. Unless someone take a trip to Athens during the Olympic?
Anyone in this forum going there btw? :smiley:

Today’s Liberty Times quotes Chen Shuibian as saying that the removal of the Taiwan ads “really makes it difficult not to wonder whether the reason is intervention by Chinese Communist political forces.” 「實在很難令人不懷疑背後是否有中共政治力介入」 - In other words, Chen Shuibian is just guessing like the rest of us.

The article also states that that the reason given by the Athens Commitee for removing the ads was that “the content of the advertisements is not in keeping with the theme of the Olympic Games.” 「廣告內容不符奧運主題」Could it be that ads supporting a particular team are not allowed, because rich countries could buy loads of ads and poor countries couldn’t, thus giving teams from rich countries a psychological advantage? That is my guess for now.

I am surprised that the Committee should have authority over what kind of advertising appears at the airport. One would have thought their authority would end at the boundary of the Olympic complex.

Well, as nobody bothered to answer this:

The ads actually say “Taiwan, on the starting line” and the image is a black and white close-up photo of sprinters on the blocks. The text is clearly political, outlining the fact that Taiwan is a young, vibrant democracy. Clearly, the GIO was pushing the envelope here. The people who approved the spending of this money must have known that China would demand the ads be withdrawn.
Anyway, it was a win-win case for Taiwan. If the ads stayed, Taiwan would get good publicity at the airport in Greece. If the ads were taken down under pressure from Beijing, the Taiwan government would use the media opportunity presented to paint Beijing as a big bad bully with no Olympic spirit.
As they say in Hollywood, “There’s no such thing as bad publicity.”

I think the GIO guys deserve a gold medal.

Hello monkey, haven’t seen you for ages old chap :slight_smile:

[quote=“Juba”]Today’s Liberty Times quotes Chen Shuibian as saying that the removal of the Taiwan ads “really makes it difficult not to wonder whether the reason is intervention by Chinese Communist political forces.” 「實在很難令人不懷疑背後是否有中共政治力介入」 - In other words, Chen Shuibian is just guessing like the rest of us.

The article also states that that the reason given by the Athens Commitee for removing the ads was that “the content of the advertisements is not in keeping with the theme of the Olympic Games.” 「廣告內容不符奧運主題」Could it be that ads supporting a particular team are not allowed, because rich countries could buy loads of ads and poor countries couldn’t, thus giving teams from rich countries a psychological advantage? That is my guess for now.

I am surprised that the Committee should have authority over what kind of advertising appears at the airport. One would have thought their authority would end at the boundary of the Olympic complex.[/quote]
Well as monkey points out, the ads were too politicial and Taiwan officials probably knew this. There was no mention of the Olympics on the ads was there? Was the Olympic symbol on the ads?
IMHO, Taiwan would be better off to run an ad campaign in the U.S. and other countries if they want the world to notice them. Capitalists around the world will gladly accept their advertising dollars. :wink: