"Taiwan" ads pulled from Olympics

The big question is why don’t they advertise elsewhere near the olympics. Does the Athens Committee have absolute power over ads? I can’t believe there aren’t more places they could put the advertisements.

If there is in fact a rule against advertisements supporting a country, it should be in the Olympic Games rule book.

[quote=“twocs”]The big question is why don’t they advertise elsewhere near the olympics. Does the Athens Committee have absolute power over ads? I can’t believe there aren’t more places they could put the advertisements.

If there is in fact a rule against advertisements supporting a country, it should be in the Olympic Games rule book.[/quote]
Considering the dismal ticket sales at Olympics - so far - it seems like it would be a waste of money to advertise anywhere near the games. Another question that comes to my mind, who are the ads targeting? Does the average citizen or athlete really have any concern about Taiwan?

Yes, why not run ads on the BBC, TV5, DW or CNN. They can call Taiwan a country in their advertisement for Taiwan tourism and kill two birds with one stone.

Why would the BBC, TV5, DW, or CNN want to lose market share in PRC over the Taiwan issue.

The ads have been/are being run on BBC and CNN.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Why would the BBC, TV5, DW, or CNN want to lose market share in PRC over the Taiwan issue.[/quote] Hahahahahaahhaa. Market share in the PRC?! Hahahahahahaaha…as if there was actual freedom of the press in the PRC. Hahahahahahaha…Last time I was there it was CCTV 1, CCTV 2, CCTV 3, CCTV 4, CCTV 5, CCTV 6, but there was not BBC, CNN, DW or TV5 except at the fancy hotels for foreigners in the big cities. I don’t think the BBC et al have much to lose if they are threatened by the CCP. Hahahahaha…

So why did they bid so hard to get into those hotels? Money talks, BS walks.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]So why did they bid so hard to get into those hotels? Money talks, BS walks.[/quote] That is why they accept Taiwan’s advertising and tell your bosses in the Xinhua News propaganda department to scab off.

But how much money do we have left. Most of it is invested in the PRC, and some of it is earmark to the USA so some toys for people who are drafted. Too bad we don’t spend enough on our own country to make it better, don’t you think.

“we”? you pay us taxes, dropout. what’s with this “we” business?

Flipper,

I also pay ROC taxes as well.

really? and which taxes are those? and is that before or after you enter taiwan on a us passport?

[quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“Juba”]Today’s Liberty Times quotes Chen Shuibian as saying that the removal of the Taiwan ads “really makes it difficult not to wonder whether the reason is intervention by Chinese Communist political forces.” 「實在很難令人不懷疑背後是否有中共政治力介入」 - In other words, Chen Shuibian is just guessing like the rest of us.

The article also states that that the reason given by the Athens Commitee for removing the ads was that “the content of the advertisements is not in keeping with the theme of the Olympic Games.” 「廣告內容不符奧運主題」Could it be that ads supporting a particular team are not allowed, because rich countries could buy loads of ads and poor countries couldn’t, thus giving teams from rich countries a psychological advantage? That is my guess for now.

I am surprised that the Committee should have authority over what kind of advertising appears at the airport. One would have thought their authority would end at the boundary of the Olympic complex.[/quote]
Well as monkey points out, the ads were too politicial and Taiwan officials probably knew this. There was no mention of the Olympics on the ads was there? Was the Olympic symbol on the ads?
IMHO, Taiwan would be better off to run an ad campaign in the U.S. and other countries if they want the world to notice them. Capitalists around the world will gladly accept their advertising dollars. :wink:[/quote]

Meanwhile…

It wouldn’t be the first time Taiwan has advertised in foreign airports. Not but a few months ago I saw one of those awful CETRA/TAITRA ads in Heathrow and I’m sure I’ve spotted them in airports in Asia. Now, TAITRA’s not the GIO but it is quasi-governmental (apologies for using the word “quasi”) and they don’t seem to have any problems plastering piss-poor ads in other people’s countries. As for the Greek ads, despite what Monkey says, “Taiwan on the starting line” is hardly sweaty-palmed nationalistic dogma. If anything, it sounds rather like the export-oriented TAITRA ads with pictures of bicycles and that car crash of a slogan, “Innovalue”. Urghh. Whoever came up with that ought to be shot.
Anyway, I’m sure there wasn’t any mention of the Olympics on the ads, or an Olympic logo, because the IOC has the copyright tied up tighter than a gnat’s ass. But to think that the IOC thinks any kind of advertising goes against the spirit of the Games is to forget that these days advertising IS the spirit of the Games. Or was that just Atlanta?

Now that the Olympics have started, though, has there been any kind of pressure on the actual athletes themselves? Are they being frisked for flags in case some brave soul fancies whipping one out in the unlikely event the other competitors explode from injecting to much growth hormone just before the finish line leaving the Taiwan man to romp home in first?
I’m not in the country right now and this sort of information doesn’t really surface outside of Taiwan, so any information would be appreciated.

Nooooo! This can’t be! Taiwan is Asia’s “Green Silicon Valley,” it’s soon to become the “Asia-Pacific Regional Operations Hub,” not only for business, technology and R&D but also for finance, not to mention its doubled tourist arrivals, and you say this information, about perhaps the world’s most vibrant country in EVERY respect, doesn’t really surface outside of Taiwan?
Well, I bet Annette Lu would have something to say about that! You’re just not looking hard enough.

ac_dropout:

What country is your country?
If you mean Taiwan, the country where you don’t live, then you have to remember that the amount spent on the advertising in question is negligible compared to the budgets of almost everything else here.
Mayor Ma has earmarked NT$1 million for the use by homosexual residents in Taipei for whatever it is they do (gay awareness parades?). Are you a little happier now?

Flipper,

Mostly property taxes and Custom duty stuff? Doesn’t matter which passport I enter on. I don’t think the tax laws nor custom duty really care.

wolf_reinhold,

I don’t align my interest by country per say. I disagree and agree with various public policy of countries I’m active in.

I’m not aware of the homosexual fund in Taiwan. But I’m glad you are, in case your ever down and out in Taiwan, I won’t need to worry too much about you.

But back on point…
What was the specific purpose of those ads. I mean they don’t really elucidate people to the Strait Issue who were not aware of it to begin with. Or were they just another free publicity move in the media.

The PRC can show their dispeasure in many ways.
Actually,the PRC could have vetoed against deploying additional troops in Cyprus (Russians vetoed the bill)
globalpolicy.org/security/ve … blocks.htm

Similar to what they did with Macedonia:
cnn.com/WORLD/europe/9902/25 … nia.china/
Macedonian Foreign Minister Alexander Dimitrov told state-owned radio Thursday that the government never expected China would use the Taiwan dispute to block the extension because the troops had done such a good job stabilizing the region.