Taiwan - Asia’s LGBT capital

Apparently Taiwan is known as Asia’s LGBT capital in some or all gay circles.

From the attendance at the parade I’d say it must be.

1 Like

Taiwan is definitely the power bottom of Asia.

7 Likes

Maybe it has something to do with how generally non-religious the people here tend to be.

1 Like

Thailand has more LGBT living and working in normal everyday life. But there’s too much competition by men chasing the ladies.

1 Like

When I think of Thailand I think Buddhism, beautiful little islands, and sex tourism before I think of a significant number of LGBT people.

1 Like

Recently there have been anti LGBT pamphlets in my mailbox on a weekly basis. I have also been approached and handed anti LGBT pamphlets while walking down the street… especially near schools. The pamphlets talk nonsense about how stopping gay marriage will save the youth of Taiwan from being brainwashed into becoming gay. I usually just tear up the pamphlet on the spot and hand it back to the person who gave it to me. They just stare as I walk off.

Almost all of these people are some sort if Christian denomination.

3 Likes

Makes sense.

The older, more old-fashioned members of my family also gripe about the legalization of gay marriage. Some gibberish about how the birth rate will keep dropping. The birth rate wouldn’t be so low if fewer people were stuck living with their parents well into their twenties because they can barely afford rent…

A lot of chicks with dicks in th

1 Like

There’s LOTS of LGBT sex tourists in Thailand. :smirk:

I’m not sure what the point of this comment is. Christian = homophobic? Yes, often this is the case. Much less so than many other organised religions, though.

There are a much larger number of Christians in Taiwan than some other religions. Many of them are evangelical which increases the chances of homophobic ideology. They don’t generally kill gay people anymore, though. Preach against them, yes. Try to “cure” them, yes. Chuck them off buildings? Never that I’ve heard of.

Idk what types of area you are hanging out in. Yikes! Might want to move to a less Christian neighborhood. That never happens to ME in Taiwan. It must be the people your hanging out with.

You need to step out of that social circle you are in and find a better one. Not all Christians are anti-gay and pushing hate is certainly not the norm, nor is it acceptable. I guess depending on the people around you YMMV.

Dont paint all Christians with that same anti-gay brush.
All of the Christian couples I know, including my wife’s family dont hate on LGBTQ. They are really loyal to the movement.

Is not supporting gay marriage because of religious ground anti gay or homophobic?

Many people I know don’t hate gays, and don’t support gay marriage.

2 Likes

I don’t think random strangers camping out on the street ambushing people with anti LGBT pamplets qualify as my “social circle”. Where did you come up with that? I have no idea who these people are and they are not limited to just my neighborhood. I have seen them all over Taipei. They are extremely aggressive.

:thinking::smirk:
Yeah, okay…

Why don’t they support or why do they even care ?

Me personally I don’t “support” in the sense it’s something I would take active measures to make reality. But, would I object to it? No of course not as it makes no difference to me, and seems a bit cruel to deny it to people for whom it does make a difference

3 Likes

If one says they are fine with people being gay, but not ok with said gay people getting married, then one would be a tad bit discriminatory and perhaps indeed a bit anti gay.

If two people are in love and want to muck it up with marriage…more power to them. None of my business.

2 Likes

I have no argument with this. The only people I’ve met in person who have been opposed to same-sex marriage have been persons of color. Should I draw any conclusions from this?

1 Like

Relevance…?

I thought they were on our side? That’s not being very liberal and progressive. Yikes!

People of color are suppose to be liberal and vote for liberal things.