Taiwan Born American Divorce Taiwanese and Assets

Iirc Ted Turner promised his wife he would retire after he made his first million. (That was half a century ago, so I dunno, $50 million today?)

The best laid plans of mice and men… :cactus:

Well these days a M buys you 1/3 of a house anywhere decent in the bay area so it aint going too far. You need a B to be where an M was 60 years ago.

That’s a little bit of an exaggeration. You can still get an OK starter home in Berkeley for a million. :sunglasses:

well alright if you say so, your million fixer upper may border (gasp) OAKLAND though.

so i may be wrong, a Million 60 years ago is probably roughly worth 100 million today rather than 1000 million. My bad.

The three million dollar homes today sold 60 years ago for about 30,000 dollars.

I want to have a drink or two with Tommy525. After a few drinks this homespun wisdom might make me cry tears in my beer

To the OP shinji001:

I have no doubt that your feelings are hurt and this is a difficult thing for you to experience. If it were me I would have mixed emotions, and probably feel hurt.

But trying to figure out how to sue your spouse for money sounds like a dead end. Even if you could win a little money, the process will blacken your soul. And there is no guarantee you will win anything.

No matter where you sue, you may need U.S. and Taiwan divorce attorneys on retainer. Her family will put up a fight. It will cost you a lot of money and aggravation. And unless you have jointly named assets or have recently come into a lot of money, she may not owe you anything.

I’m no expert on Taiwan law, but I’ve never seen a judge who will award you money based on your inconvenience and time being married. In my jurisdiction, if you are young and had a short marriage, judges won’t award anything. They just tell you to pick yourself up and go on your way.

If you want really good advice, talk to a licensed attorney who regularly practices family law. Try a U.S. attorney and a Taiwan attorney. Don’t be surprised if you are told there’s nothing to fight over here.

It may be reasonable to ask her to pay for your attorneys fees so you can have divorce paperwork drawn up and filed with the court.

Right now, you have a rare opportunity to file simple divorce papers and make a clean break. If you are young, then this marriage and divorce will just be a tiny bump on a long road.

5 Likes

then why don’t you go to the lawyer. I think it is a high possibility that you would not get anything by any court orders, if the divorce would go to courts. So, it should be settled at the mediation stage.

you can negotiate with her and her family, though you may need to be careful that it should not be a blackmail. You could be sued for that if you would do it wrongly.

[post edited by moderator to remove quotation from deleted post and reference to it]

1 Like

haha not that much drama, but yeah obvioulsy i would not blackmail, i can understand if they wanted to do some sort of NDA or type of settlement if I sue in court, I wouldn’t ask for anything directly. It would be them offering first.

Closing at OP’s request.