Taiwan came in joint first place as best countries in the world to be an atheist

Can’t decide if this is a living in Taiwan topic or a religion and spirituality topic. I guess people that live in Taiwan are not really judgemental of your religion or if you have religion.

3 Likes

As an atheist, this is one of the things I love about Taiwan. Credit where credit is due.

2 Likes

Seems like Taiwan would be very religious with all the temples, people praying all the time but reality anything is okay.

3 Likes

I’d have to agree. Most people here would not take 2 seconds out of their day to think about what you believe or don’t believe, much less care. I’m a bit surprised the US comes in so highly. The bottom 10 are no surprise.

At most, people sometimes assume I’m Christian because I’m a “foreigner.” But they’re never fazed when I say I’m a atheist

1 Like

Surely, the PRC is also a fine place to be an atheist. Atheism is part of Communist Party ideology. Surprised its not in the top 10 best places for atheists.

1 Like

It depends on what part of the US. Probably much more acceptable in a place like San Francisco and less so in Midwest or the so-called Southern bible belt.

Making it the official ideology of the state kind of takes the fun out of it.

3 Likes

Meh, if you keep your mouth shut and allow others the right not to, anywhere is good.

I told my Afghani students I didn’t pray and they said I was going to hell. I happened to be wearing my Superman t-shirt that day and told them so. One girl said, “Oh no, Mr. Smith, you are NOT Superman. You will burn.” She had legit tears in her eyes. As an unbeliever, I found that adorable.

1 Like

I don’t think the report actually identifies “the best countries to be an atheist”. The same report ranks China down there with Saudi Arabia: both in the “grave violations” category. Not sure how that could be true when the government stance in China is to encourage atheism / discourage religion, and where the majority are atheist.

In other news the worst country to be a Muslim in has been announced and its Egypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1o9ZWqCnKk

Yeah China should at the top of that list.

Maybe it’s just not the best place for anyone.

I think the greater part of religious practice in Taiwan is ritual-based and doesn’t necessarily require belief in order to continue, people aren’t really bother if other share the same beliefs. Even an atheist can take part in family rites. While a lot of secular humanists make a complete break with any religious practice, the lack of strong integration of religion in Taiwanese public life probably means less animosity between those with strong beliefs and those who do not, so even those who do not have religious beliefs don’t feel the need to avoid family rituals, no matter whether they have any belief in the need for the practice. At least that’s been my experience with people.

1 Like

While it is great that Taiwanese don’t care a whit about your regious beliefs or lack of them it’s reflective of the general half hearted attitude to most stuff.
Boss tells me to pray…I pray.
Wishy washy attitude to almost everything.
Somebody sticks a joss stick in my hand, I mumble and go along with it.
Now I do the same every Chinese new year , couldn’t be bothered explaining that I don’t do any religious stuff to the mother in law (which is equivalent to talking to a ten foot thick brick wall).

1 Like

China may encourage atheism, but they’re not very good when it comes to allowing freedom of thought.

No doubt there is limited freedom of thought in Egypt too. But that hardly makes it a terrible place “to be a Muslim” in. I think the journalist in the article is a bit confused.

I looked at the North Korea section in that report, which is also very low, and they consider the dear leader/party equivalent to religion, so I’m guessing it’s the same kind of thinking for China.

Yea, totally. Also China and North Korea are bad places for chopsticks, cause like, stuff, some guys list about a completely different topic, you know yourself.

huh

Just saying China is a real bad place for atheists who use chopsticks (despite it being a state sanctioned officially atheist country where everyone uses chopsticks all the time)

Based on a list that is not about atheism or chopsticks.
I reads it in the neeeewwwwssss like

Ok but I still don’t get your point