Taiwan could fine singer for singing at China national day

As said: you can sing and say whatever you want, but you have to face the consequences. You are not free from the fallout of your choices. The law says no. So, you shouldn’t, and if you do, well, that’s your consequence.

To claim that Taiwan does not support it’s artists is preposterous. They have plenty of resources, especially blue ones that have had the lion’s share of prizes, loans, etc for decades, sidelining localized talent.

Moreover, Taiwan does not have to support their careers abroad where they are forced to pledge allegiance to the party or else their careers go kaput. It is their choice to sell their souls for money…and they are supposed to get plenty of it.

Their best warning is that Chinese artists, as soon as they can, get another passport.

BTW I believe Ouyang has US or Canada passport too.

4 Likes

False equivalency.
Singing a song and shouting fire aren’t similar at all.

Is it not speech? Are they not words that come out of my mouth?

Yes, but does singing a song at a concert cause panic that could injure people? That’s not equivalent at all.

According to the article it’s not actually the national anthem. Its other songs

“My Motherland.” Possibly worse… :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

She should be able to sing any song she wants. But she should defect, it’s pure hypocrisy she enjoys all the benefits of freedom while supporting those that would take it away. Just leave.

7 Likes

People were demanding the guys head on a stick when that foreigner threw a banana peel out of his car in the countryside, but for an actual traitorous scumbag taking a huge shit on taiwan for short term money there is very little blowback. Her career in taiwan should be 100% dead and buried.

5 Likes

I never understood people like this. I think it’s quite an easy process to defect. And they will treat you well there. Why not just move there. If I was her, I would. She could have a big career there and be with her people.

1 Like

Taiwan ought to put it on official record, chinese being an enemy state…which by proxy is like declaring indepenance. If the gov cant do that, hey have no right fining her. I agree with the fuxk her sentiment, but freesom of speach is worth protecting.

Fine her, declare independence. Im on board. Otherwise Taiwan is supposed to be BETTER than China…there are a bunch of crazies driving around taipei with chinese flags saying we are china etc…they have a voice?

1 Like

Yes taiwan is better than china but that doesn’t stop certain people who would sell the country out to china to make a few bucks. Free speech is one thing but this is basically joining with chinas attacks of war against taiwan.

3 Likes

Signing for the enemy state isn’t treasonous. Let those money grubbers sing. Celebrities suck anyway.

1 Like

Interestingly enough the 10/10 celebrations commemorate the uprising in Wuchang, Wuhan.

Best not to think too much.

1 Like

Agreed. But it would set a dangerous precedent to fine her and form laws. Let the people treat as they wish. Unless taiwan steps up and declares itself not belonging to china on record, they have zero right to fine her on legal grounds imo. That would be a very Chinese move…

3 Likes

Again, what carrier? No gigs, no actual self effort, all publicity paid by Daddy, no actual talent.

If she had talent, she wouldn’t have to resort to singing Motherland to attract attention and support. She is milking “patriotism”, not preference for her songs/talent.

Moreover, if she prevails, she puts herself at risk of having to pull a Fan Binbing: practically trading herself to a party cadre in exchange of liberty. If any of those party honchos decide they want her, they will have her or she will end up in jail.

Funny you mention the law. Those laws ironically were written by the blues during the Period of fighting against communists rebellion.

I disagree. It’s dangerous to let this sort of thing run wild. Politics is always involved with china, so you cannot do business, music, trade whatever on a neutral and safe platform. taiwan really just needs to put its foot down. At least right now anyway.

@Icon honestly i know nothing, (and want to keep it that way) about taiwanese pop stars. even if she has no career, this should still set her back to a minus career.

Just take my word as I said before: she has as much career as our lovely Sun fellow -the Taiwanese kid that threatened/joked about shooting his Philadelphia school- , and was less infamous until this incident.

No, we are agreeing. I agree with all that. Its disgusting and she is a traitor, but only if china doesnt own taiwan on paper. Im just saying taiwan shouldnt start down that slippery slope of freedom of speach hypocrisy. If they want to fine her, great. BUT they shouldnt do that if they dont consider China a foreign country officially. In the end she is officially singing another provinces song.

Yes, put their foot down, declare independence. i am 100% for that as well.

1 Like

Ironic indeed. The blues are a strange bunch. CCP should just sign over the mainland to us and be done with it.