Taiwan could fine singer for singing at China national day

So, do you think Taiwan would not declare independence if there were no threat from china?

No thank you. It is like your uncle bequeathing a debt riddled, roach infested slum to you.

4 Likes

I think it’s illegal in all countries, but she’s not being accused of that. She’s being accused of breaking a law. Treason costs more than a fine. It’s funny how TN drops in that she considers herself Chinese while only 2 percent of Taiwanese do, like she doesn’t have the right. TN is misrepresenting a recent poll that found 2 percent identify exclusively as Chinese, but over 30% identified as both. That poll pushed for an answer, and 6% of the 30% decided they were more Taiwanese. That was by Taiwan ThinkTank, the CEO is deep Green. Earlier this year, the more respected Pew Research Center found 4% identified as Chinese and 28% as both.
This singer is apparently one of those happy to be Chinese. The song is about being far from home and missing it. TN calls her Ou-yang, is that what is known by? That’s her family name. It’s weird to call someone by just a family name. I wonder if K-man assumed that was her name because it’s rare.
The poor kid gets it from both sides. The Chinese accuse her of supporting Taiwan independence.

It’s not ‘singing a song’ anymore than waving the Chinese flag is a piece of fabric. An anthem has symbolic meaning as much as a flag does.

2 Likes

Waving Chinese flags is allowed I thought.

There is a difference in time and place.

Sing the anthem here? Wave the flag here? No problems.

Do it at major events while working directly with the enemy? You get fined.

It’s not ‘singing a song’ in a vacuum. To suggest so is deceptive.

Shouldn’t matter. Once you go down that slippery slope you might not be able to stop.

1 Like

I’m not sure it is tbh

except that the ‘slippery slope’ is a logical fallacy.

3 Likes

Tell that to all the people under authoritarian regimes. It all starts somewhere.

1 Like

Taiwan is at war.

Chinese government pays millions to get Taiwanese entertainers to do this shit to break spirits. It’s part of their combined war efforts.

This isn’t America

No it doesn’t. There are at most very few modern examples of full liberal democracies descending into dictatorship. Germany bans everything Nazi related. You can ban hate, you can ban treason and still protect freedom of speech. Canada has anti hate speech laws. Most liberal countries do.

I’m against it for the same reason I’m against the idea that Canada should throw the huaweis Meng in a hole similar to where the Michaels are being held. Why? Western countries and democracies are based on free choice and lowering themselves to how China acts makes them no better.

If a Taiwanese singer wants to sing a Chinese national anthem it’s not the governments business. Let the free market in Taiwan kill her local career.

2 Likes

It’s the goal isn’t it?

I wouldn’t say Taiwan is at war. Info war or economic war or global community war, OK. Real war? No.

‘Real war’ hasn’t existed since WWII.

Well then you are wrong , as far as Taiwan or China is concerned this is all part of ç”±æˆ°ă€‚

Taiwan isn’t the US. The level of infiltration in Taiwan is broad and scary. China nearly infiltrated Taiwanese media and society to the extent that we would have had a puppet president, all but nine months ago.

If you don’t know what is happening really in Taiwan you may take your position. Taiwan seems like a Western country, but we have spies and traitors everywhere

2 Likes

Taiwan is at war.

Its not Canada

3 Likes

I think you are overreacting. It isn’t as dire as you make it out to be.

2 Likes

Oh no. Those 2000 or more missiles in Fujian aimed at Taiwan are party poppers. :roll:

3 Likes

If Frank Sinatra flew to Mussolini’s Italy and sang the Italian national anthem in the midst of ww2, how do you think US government and society would treat him?

3 Likes