Taiwan Economy Discussion

The growth went back to positive in Q2. It was only in contraction in Q1. Germany though has been in contraction since Q4 2022.

The contraction has nothing to do with any visit. It’s the global export slump.

1 Like

I dont disagree with that, just refuting that Taiwan has had some of its best growth since the visit.

But there are a lot of indicators that the effects were negative or going to be. It takes time to diversify

…took those words outta my mouth.

Taiwan is one of the most successful post-war economies and also one of the wealthiest places on the whole planet. From top to bottom, I discovered that this is an island of winners, achievers, and trailblazers.

Say this to Taiwanese people, and they’ll say, "OK now how do I pay my bills?

2 Likes

Same as in any country. By being employed or being in business. New car sales are up nearly 20% this year. So vehicles are expensive here due to taxes. Where is all the money coming from? Exports have suffered yes but local domestic business is still doing well. Big slow down in China which affects Taiwan.

2 Likes

Everyone in Taiwan has a job, they just don’t make enough.

Here’s a video showing how the Korean media is talking a lot about the Taiwanese economy these days.
“Only Taiwanese people don’t know how people of the world envy Taiwan!”

Absolutely not. Sweden has rent control which results in a disastrous housing shortage. The average wait time to sign a lease in all of Sweden is 9 years and well over a decade in Stockholm.

2 Likes

Someone making only $45k (15k x 3) should NOT be buying homes and making mortgage payments! At that salary level they are most likely in their 20’s and should be renting studio apartments, and there are plenty for $8k-$10k in Kaohsiung!

I live in a really nice apartment and my rent is $14k, all inclusive.

1 Like

I have a family member that lives in Turkey. He told the tenant he doesn’t want to renew because he wants to use the place as his vacation pad. The tenant sued him claiming it’s because he wants to increase rent to match inflation. 7 months on and thousands of dollars in lawyer costs and there is still no decision from the courts.

One can definitely find a decent place with 15k mortgage in the boonies. Also they can save a few more years and pay 30-40% downpayment to decrease the minimum monthly payment.

NC opens up an office in Taiwan. It doesn’t seem NC had a license exchanges with Taiwan yet, but I’m guessing they might now.

1 Like

3.18% growth projected for 2024. Due to expected worldwide recovery.

1 Like

Gross domestic product in the October-December period grew by a preliminary 5.12% from a year earlier, the statistics agency said on Wednesday, beating the 4.35% growth forecast by analysts in a Reuters poll.

2 Likes

Where was this news before the election!

Good thing Taiwanese people are actually spending money. Hope this sustains. Taiwan has tons of savings that isn’t even invested, just sitting there picking its nose.

TAIPEI (Reuters) -Taiwan’s trade-dependent economy grew faster than expected in the fourth quarter thanks to strong domestic consumption and a rebound in exports, expanding 1.4% for the full year of 2023.

1 Like

We were rocking it before the election. It’s become old news how rich Taiwan is as a country. Green is corrupt, blue are Chinese and so it goes. Probably will stay that way until we dumb ourselves into being poor again :joy:

2 Likes

1.4% is nothing to write home about.

yes, ha! Dinner topic , Maccas burger prices and KFC tarts was $25 now $42 or so. Seems lots of price jumps after the vote.

1 Like

During covid and since. Perhaps I am more easily impressed. Either way, good growth.