Taiwan Economy Discussion

Rent control is the worst policy ever. We should increase supply massively, along with more public housing.

2 Likes

I don’t think Taiwan will get much into public housing but it is a good idea.

Anything that affects homeowners financially like higher property tax will get the incumbent political group thrown out so that won’t happen either. And a lot of politicians are property owners too so conflict of their own interests.

Rent control I don’t agree with as much as I would benefit from it, because it can act to remove rental stock from the market. A lot of Taiwanese slumlords have no problem buying and keeping ‘mosquito houses’

3 Likes

More supply? Taipei and New Taipei have a huge vacancy rate.

3 Likes

indeed, private developments in Taiwan is not the solution, public housing is the only (albeit difficult) way.

1 Like

that’s why rent control works basically only with a proper vacant property tax or, at the very least, an higher property tax in general.

All the solutions to the housing problems here in TW r a political suicide, since they would touch the very wealth centre of the electorate, and no one (being it Green, Blue or White/Yellow whatever) can afford that… That’s why we r left with these issues still, the solutions r known, but seemingly unattainable.

Public housing would be the least suicidal solution tbh… and the gov (at the moment) has the resources to do something. But not the willingness

2 Likes

Do you even trust data on housing and rents?

1 Like

Of course more housing is better, private and public both. It’s simple supply and demand. We should increase supply and reduce demand (by discouraging property speculation). One of the reasons people keep hoarding is because the price keeps going up, if the government is serious about maintaining prices and communicates it properly even the current hoarders will try to get rid of their inventory.

that’s the issue, they r not…

How the public housing work? It’s suck is they use public spaces like parks, etcs.

Yes because there is one company holding a lot of these empty apartments and manipulating the price.
All the politicians involve so they will never change.

where did u get this piece of information?

Its not “information” it is a “lutherism”

3 Likes

If proper laws were in place against hoarding properties, then increasing the housing stock is only a good thing.

The issue with public housing is local Lizhang hate it, because it brings down the housing prices of the people living in their constituency or they have that perception.

1 Like

usual NIMBYs…

European businesses in Taiwan are examining their exposure to both the island and mainland China, extending discussion that started after the Pelosi visit, said Freddie Hoeglund, CEO of the European Chamber of Commerce Taiwan.

I really think that vanity trip fucked Taiwan

well, always good to cover the bases right? decoupling won’t happen overnight, and with how things r going in the land of common misery, maybe any threats will just be a dog barking to the moon thing

1 Like

It hasn’t so far, infact Taiwan had some of it’s best growth since then, we will see in the future. The real test will be next year, when rates cuts start for real. If investors are still afraid then we can start worrying.

No matter the scale, it will always hit China harder than Taiwan.

1 Like

Taiwan economy has been in contraction for 7 months. Not sure if I would blame that on the Pelosi trip, but the great growth was pre-Pelosi. This is about the 4-5 report saying that companies are choosing to diversify away from Taiwan post-Pelosi

One chip executive at a large foreign firm with operations in Taiwan said his company was asked about its business continuity plans by its customers and had in turn asked their suppliers in Taiwan the same questions.

“No-one really ever highlighted any kind of military action in their business continuity plans and now they are,” he said. Unsettled by the Chinese drills, which showed how easily Taiwan could be blockaded, management had launched efforts to plan for disruption in supplies and other scenarios, he said: “I don’t think anybody believes the political environment is going to get any better.”

Again idk maybe it really has spooked them but I wouldn’t believe the media for the sake of it. Just a couple months ago they were talking of another decade of Germany being the shining star of EU and now it’s the sick man of Europe.

These are the same people that see German TSMC fab as fulfilling EU’s semiconductor dreams lol.

Taiwan has high base effect and horrible global economy to thank for it’s gloomy growth this year. I wouldn’t take it as an indication of future growth.

This is true, but I would take the direct quotes of companies and quasi-embassies saying that they are diversifying away from Taiwan post-Pelosi as a decent indicator that its happening

Following Pelosi’s visit, “customers in the Western world expressed their concerns about being too concentrated in Taiwan”, Hou said: “There’s no immediate action requested by their Western clients, but some discussion is already underway.”