Taiwan has highest ATM density in the world

Except they continue pulling the same shit even after they pass the threshold where they are supposed to be paying taxes.

They should be paying the taxes first and then getting the ‘small business boost’ refund after.

I only need to ride my motorbike 8 minutes to the nearest atm!

1 Like

Third world is having streets without walkable sidewalks in the capital cit-- oh, wait. :doh:

4 Likes

Different ≠ Development

This is a problem people have when moving to a new country. Subjective preferences on how to do things are not related to development. Development is supposed to be measured with objective means or means that are unanimously agreed upon, including, but not limited to life expectancy, education levels and health.

Norway is a country where the average density is 13/km²

Taiwan is over 650/km². Taiwan has different needs than Norway. Traffic is naturally going to be bigger here. The scooters keep it from being like Beijing, whom have banned scooters.

Many other developed countries also use cash often. I did in Canada. Germans as mentioned above, Japan.

Korea often took cash when I was there.

By all objective accounts, Taiwan is a developed economy.

In fact, you can now live the Taiwanese Dream in Darwin NT!

2 Likes

Well according to the most commonly referenced sources Norway is the no.1 developed country in the world (and has been for like forever) so it’s not surprising that he thinks Taiwan is 3rd world lol.

4 Likes

Yeah, if you’re on the top of the charts for everything. Of course everything else is going to feel second rate.

Taiwan got a 0.908 but not listed as the UN doesn’t consider Taiwan a country.

One point behind Japan, on par with Austria. Ahead of South Korea.

Is China progressive because they are pushing for cashless? It sounds like a security nightmare IMO.

All they have to do is lock you out of wechat…You become a non person.

2 Likes

I remember ages ago in China queuing for the metro ticket machine behind local people who couldn’t figure out how to get their cash accepted (trying to force in a note when it says it only takes coins or vice versa) and thinking how lame it was. Now you need to queue behind people who use their phones to buy tickets, but it takes even longer! :rant:

The sweet spot between full cash and zero cash is smart cards that you can recharge with cash, in real time, at many convenient locations. At least Taiwan (or at least Taipei-Xinbei) gets that right.

1 Like

Great minds have long pondered this question. :grin:

Wish we had one universally accepted standard for mobile payments here. It’s a bit embarrassing and is the main thing that China lovers and Taiwanese returning from China complain about. This is an island of engineers and apparently a tech paradise

This is also an island of business owners and entrepreneurs that don’t want that cash tracked.

1 Like

And huge traditional banks who want to resist reform and have powerful friends

1 Like

I don’t really see the urgent need of transition. Is carrying some cash with you really that big a deal? It’s not like you’d be robbed.

I mean I’d rather not have to. I am also bored of people telling me how amazing China is because of that and the media saying the same thing.

I can survive still

Oh I’d like to get paid and pay my rent by Hongbao, like they do in China with Wechat.

Wait does this mean you now have a bag of credit cards?

Back in the day, I seem to remember you had to beg, plead, and cajole banks to get one!

Guy

1 Like

I just yelled at them.

I thought I was replying to Dan!

Guy

I know. I just sayin. I yelled at the banks to get mine. No cajoling here.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Guy

Well… Electronic transfers are traceble, and if you got rid of the black economy… Taiwan might also have enough tax income to be able to give their citizens free hospitals, free universities. Get electric buses etc… more or less like it is in Norway.

Taipei don’t need this insane traffic either… Tokyo has more inhabitants, but the road traffic there is low and the air clean as a Norwegian mountain top… But don’t get me wrong, I love Taiwan, but I hate the traffic, useless politicians and the crappy air…

It is all doable, it’s just about political will… :wink:

2 Likes