Taiwan has highest ATM density in the world

And that’s one of the reasons why people don’t want to use it.

1 Like

Tokyo is also 2000 km² compared to Taipei’s 300 km²
Taipei is nearly twice as dense as Tokyo.

Even Minato, the city centre is half as dense as Daan. There’s no comparison.

And traceability is why people are are scared of it. NOBODY needs to know that I bought XL condoms and a monthly subscription to politics weekly.

People here scoff at going to Danshui which is 10-20km depending where you are in Taipei Proper.

You think people are willing to travel up to 70 km for basic things? Tokyo’s furthest reaches are 70 km from the city centre. They’re just going to stay there.

By comparison, Hsinchu is 60 km. People want to be close to the action. Density makes for traffic. Oslo is 600 000 people with a density of 1400/km²

There’s just no comparison.

4 Likes

And it seems lowest trashcan density.

5 Likes

Really wish they were all electric already. Their plan is to go all electric bus by 2030 I think . Which is basically waiting for the market to buy them anyway.

Subsidy is pretty good now though.

1 Like

…and the least number of trashcans and public restrooms.

1 Like

It also has to be said that battery manufacturing and electric vehicle manufacturing also produces pollution. Electricity in Taiwan isn’t always from holistic clean sources and either comes from coal or nuclear.

Running electric scooters and cars on dirty power is no better than running gasoline engines.

Norway is blessed to be able to utilise hydro power plants for 98% of its energy supply.

There is certainly no excuse for pollution. But Taiwan isn’t Norway. Norway’s solutions don’t always translate to other countries.

Then I’ll guess they just have something to hide :slight_smile:

Well… Start up the closed down nuclear power plant again then… Clean energy, or do like Grand Canaria… Build a huge hydro-electric dam and use solar/wind power to fill it by solar/wind powered pumps while you have water generators making the power… Or just keep it closed and or do nothing and kill thousands of inecent people in Kaoushung etc… Every year by polluting their lungs…

Again, it’s about political will…

beijings traffic is shit yes. but let me tell you. taiwans roads are worse than chinas in the smelling of petrol department.

but anyway there shouldn’t be any comments in support of taiwans traffic. imo most of problems could be fixed over night but the govt doesn’t want to pull their finger out. which is inexcusable.

imo the pollution from the scooters and the dickheads who don’t let people cross the road safely are some of the worst things about taiwan.

2 Likes

Hey, they got toilet paper most places now. Progress!

1 Like

it may still pollute but it is better. you won’t get the petrol fumes on every street that you walk down. taiwan cities are set up like this. house> qi lou>sidewalk (optional) >road. theres no escaping the traffic and if you flipped all of the scooters over night to electric ones it would make a ton of difference. less noise too.

1 Like

but taiwan has cutey rubbish vans with jingles!
#taiwanno:1 :eggplant::sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

1 Like

Yes, everyone has something to hide. If you don’t have something to hide, you’re lying. Some people and cultures value privacy. I for sure do. I don’t use the phone payment apps. I don’t need to or want to.

1 Like

I believe switching to all electric would be enormously beneficial. First of all the oil used by motor vehicles is refined in Taiwan and thatt is evergy intensive and creates a large amount of pollution itself .
Second you wouldnt have the huge concentration of fumes at street level (massive benefit )
Third you could power from renewables with a smart grid .
Fourth it probably wouldn’t need construction of any more plants, powered by natural gas plants would be an option too.
Fifth noise levels would drop significantly.

5 Likes

Idle curiosity: is there a way to determine “where” one’s power comes from in Taiwan? Or what percent in a given area is coal vs natural gas vs nuclear?

Loads of Taiwanese want mobile payments. The problem isn’t the demand, the problem is the geriatric finance industry that wants to protect their fiefdom.

2 Likes

There’s high trashcan density. Every scooter is an available trashcan. At least from the number of bubble tea cups that have been placed on it over the years :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not true. That will move pollution from Taipei to Taichung. @JackMorten lives in Taipei. See where I’m going with this?

1 Like

So in the end most people stick with cash which makes sense . Unless you want a dozen or so cards to carry for each store that has an exclusive contract.
As if easy card and icard from Kaohsiung weren’t enough, coca cola and fareast added I cash and happy go. And stores usually accept one exclusively
No, I don’t want a dozen value cards so cash it is most times

How? Nothing is free. Taiwan is a low tax country and people like it that way, at least they do right now.
Imho what Taiwan does with the little tax it gets is kinda amazing.

4 Likes