Taiwan has the right to self determination

When was America part of Canada?

Before 1776.

Oh, we must be in alternate Taiwans. I’m not going to go over every example I’ve ever seen, but it’s gotten more extreme over the years. The race issue was even “proven” by a professor. It was reported in the Liberty Times/Taipei Times of course. But, while opinions vary, Taiwanese want to be their own country. I think they’re shortsighted and wrong about many things, but I don’t vote, and the way China is, I don’t blame them.

Comparing China-Taiwan to US-Canada-UK is too far-fetched, I think. A better comparison would be the two Germanys back in the 80s or the two Koreas now.

I’d say, the people living in Taiwan would be very opportunistic when given the option, considering the advantages and disadvantages, not caring much about cultural identity and race.

I am gonna have to agree with @SunWuKong on this. Have you asked Taiwanese about this? Because I get unanimous Nos even when putting in the democratic China conditional.

I am not ruling out that SOME people might find that favourable, but I hang out with millennials and they seem to be almost unanimous on this from my experience.

1 Like

But they don’t put it in a museum evoking the memory of a foreign empire with the title “National” as though it is still part of that foreign nation it claims not to be a part of.

So was the ROC, in China.

My point is that if Taiwan wants to create a separate identity, and it does, it’s national museum shouldn’t be celebrating a foreign empire. They could mix it up with other stuff and call it the International History Museum, but as it is now, it’s like the US having an “National Imperial Museum” filled with relics of England.

1 Like

I can get behind that.

I’m sure the DPP is itching to do so, I’m sure you remember the debacle from President Chen’s renaming blitz. For them, names are letters on a wall and meaningless.

Millennials though early 40s, though in their 30s, many go softer on the subject especially when it comes to money. That might change as it becomes more difficult to make money there.

Because it’s unlikely to change anytime soon, and the mistrust and fear of oppression is rather strong.

We’re talking about Taiwanese, living in Taiwan in a democratic society. Nobody’s stopping them in a private conversation or anonymous opinion poll to say what they think.

I can assure you none of my friends fear that I am a communist spy. Thus, have no reason to lie.

It’s not that difficult to speculate:

If China was as democratic as Taiwan, would you support uniting with China?
No.

I’ll call Washington, or did you mean the other one? I still think Taiwan has no claim to the treasures if it wants to be a separate culture.

I remember when they changed the station names in the MRT to using pinyin and how the other side freaked out. As for Chen, it did hold. Only the hall has the name of CKS, and the airport no longer does.
They can clear CKS and the KMT out of everything for all I care, but I don’t like the de-sinofication. A lot is lost when you start forgetting your roots. The government is quietly letting a lot be erased, Ming-era graveyards come to mind. They don’t mind anything Japanese.

1 Like

We’re talking about Taiwanese, living in Taiwan in a democratic society. Nobody’s stopping them in a private conversation or anonymous opinion poll to say what they think. I can assure you none of my friends fear that I am a communist spy. Thus, have no reason to lie.

I did not mean that. Jeez. The mistrust in the current rulers of China and the possibility of being oppressed by them.

If China was democratic, then they wouldn’t have that fear. It’s a hypothetical, they are taking it to understand if there was no fear of oppression.

If you take all that fear of oppression out of the equation. People still say No.

I’ve worked in politics and even done polling. I’m convinced that some of those opinion polls are designed for a certain result. And often what is reported, skews the data for news effect.

The ship has sailed. China ruined it through years of threats and intimidation. It would take decades of freedom and goodwill to turn people to be willing to admit they were Chinese, much less favor even a loose federal system.

You are absolutely right. Judges, police, civil servants, military generals who were trained and promoted during the period when secret police roamed still occupies powerful positions in Taiwan. Higher the rank, more the KMT influence.

You really missed the point, but you got another opportunity to slag off the KMT.

If China was as democratic as Taiwan, and there was no fear of oppression, or fear of being overrun by mainland Chinese interests, etc. I believe, the people living in Taiwan would weigh their options and would not much care about culture and race. The economic outlook would be all that matters, opportunities for the younger generations, being part of a world power, instead of a small island nation.

2 Likes

Have you heard what people say about Chinese tourists? When there were some, that is. And they were here to give Taiwan money.

Don’t think that is a major problem. Tour groups are one segment of a large population. The younger people in China, especially in the large cities, are not much different from young people in Taiwan and elsewhere around the world.

No. It wouldn’t be. Being part of an economic power isn’t all its cracked up to be.

Canada often jokes about being the US’s 51st state, but do Canadians want to join the US because it’s ‘part of an economic power’?

1 Like