Taiwan is not as safe as it used to be

Why bring up Mexico? Were drug cartels involved? Was one of the gunmen eating a burrito? I would think that if you’d been to Mexico you’d know this was small potatoes in some parts of that country.

Yeah, I’m sure. If you were tallying shootings in Mexico year by year, you’d have to add a lot of zeroes to all those numbers. Comparing Taiwan to Mexico is silly.

Betteridge’s Law applies here.

3 Likes

Are you sure we’ll get better Mexican restaurants?

1 Like

If Taiwan will be like Mexico because of a shooting then the US is already Syria.

1 Like

Not in Sanchong? Or Wanhua?

Disappointed.

1 Like

A bystander, a woman, caught a stray bullet in the shoulder, the father of her child was wounded by flying glass all while their 4-yr old daughter was present. No doubt everybody else there is still having trouble with their hearing, maybe their sleep, too. It’s little more serious than just one low-life being shot to death in a tea house.

If what you worry about is that offenders are not caught yet, the rate of violent crime cases cleared by the police was 66% in 2000, and 100.2% in 2018.

How can it be more than 100%?

Maybe old cases were cleared.

This crime was a personal retribution over money owed to the shooter(s). I’m guessing the matter is resolved now.

If you are consistently seeing these sort of shootings reported in the news, and they are about drugs, turf wars that sort of thing, then it is time to worry…

taiwan%20mexico

5 Likes

This reminds me of little Italy in NYC. There were so many incidents like this in the 70s, it was getting cliche.

1 Like

For tommy’s peace of mind

1 Like

As you know it was much worse in the old days 25 years ago. It’s just that the news was more censored or almost totally censored back then. It is way softer now and cannot even compare to a three decades previous. So the answer is NO

2 Likes

Umberto’s Clam House!

Arrived here just after the old times ended.
Ran into a few old timers who “held court” outside the McDonald’s. Foreigners were freer to make money back then. Though they said some foreigners (English Teachers) had accidents or were dissappeared. If this is more than a talk take, it could be a thread.

If you have any stories, I’ll get the popcorn. :popcorn:

2 Likes

Tommy, those are turf wars, no civilians involved. There was a case involving a military officer last year. Heard anything about it? Nope. This kind of violence is rare and contained.

And mexico is huge, most violence is also contained in the boder, where guns come in from US and drugs go out up North.

There has been worse collateral damage, like a couple of years ago, also in Taichung, a shoot out at a bando (outdoor banquet).