Taiwan Is Small And Everyone Talks

:shushing_face:

A convenience store clerk exposed me on a date.

Stopped into a convenience store around 10-11pm on the way to my house together after dinner. Had mentioned earlier that I don’t usually stay out late.

Checking out and he casually mentioned “I don’t usually see you in here so early” :astonished: she looks at me like what and then asked what time I usually stop at the convenience store and what I’m usually doing out so late.

Night turned out ok no worries :praying:

6 Likes

Could have been worse, “Damn dude, another girl? I am jealous, what’s your secret, how do you get so many?

:joy:

21 Likes

Why would you say this if it’s not true? If anything, it just makes you seem like a grandpa.

3 Likes

My wife told me after I first came here not to reveal too much unnecessary info to casual acquaintances (especially work colleagues, but it would apply here too). Some are fine, but others will throw you under the bus either intentionally or by accident. The 7/11 worker is not your bud and you should probably just stick to niceties, or they’ll make you feel uncomfortable every time you buy condoms/alcohol… or make weird comments in front of your date as was the case here.

9 Likes

Taipei especially. I have a nice silver looking whiskey flask that guess what I drink whiskey out of. Anytime a local asks me what is it I say “Good Chinese medicine”.:rofl:

5 Likes

Someone actually did this to me.

9 Likes

And, what’s the secret?!

2 Likes

I took a first date to my usual brunch spot on a Saturday, and a waitress greeted me with “you’re back! I’ll give you two your usual table”. :expressionless:

Another time I took a date to Korean BBQ. When she asked the waitress if they allowed single diners, the waitress responded “yes! This man comes and eats by himself all the time!”

20 Likes

Yes I regret posting some of the things I have. Even other foreigners will gossip about you. The expat community isn’t as tight knit as people make it seem. I sometimes stop going to places if they make it obvious they remember me. I’m sure all of them remember. It just makes me uncomfortable when make it obvious (to be fair hated it in the US too). Just be really careful if you’re new to Taiwan. No one is your friend not even the foreigners.

Only tell personal things to family members or friends in the states.

5 Likes

Aww, I was hoping it was all butterflies, kittens and rainbows like Forumosa! :hugs::laughing:

7 Likes

You will learn who your potential allies are, eventually.

3 Likes

I had a restaurant boss say this to me. Old woman. But I hadn’t been there with another girl. My wife mentions that every so often.

5 Likes

Haha, you have to be careful on here too. The person I know in person on here gossip and lies. I already gave too much info with just that. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve always just assumed all Westerners living in Asia were shady AF. Now I’ve moved here and had my assumptions confirmed. :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah sort of same but I figured there has to be NORMAL people somewhere here lmao. I trust a few people on here but they don’t live in my city/don’t live in Taiwan.

1 Like

Everyone is a weirdo except me.

6 Likes

You mean like the gossip you posted about me and another woman having something on the side? Yet you have never met us lol.

6 Likes

Better to be truthful. It’s easier to keep the narrative consistent! :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

Could have been worse, he could have exposed himself!

7 Likes

What was it they said about Byron? Mad, bad and dangerous to know? Such traits in my single days ensured I was never short of companionship, especially in conformist Taiwan. A mentor of mine in BC (streets and islands in a number of continents named after his family) got it: you’re an alpha male from the 13th Century that half of the people would follow into hell, the other half see you as hell." Followers of rules and puritans probably the latter. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ladies often like the recklessness. These days though and through marriage and other responsibilities, the “inner Harley Davidson” has been tamed somewhat.

2 Likes