Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Just to be clear: I am not suggesting that the ROC-on-Taiwan had or has a monopoly on sexism. I find it odd that someone would interpret my point this way.

Guy

2 Likes

I did not interpret it that way. I was just saying that many other countries had the same policy previously. My own son was not granted citizenship born in Taiwan to an ROC mother in 1991. His mother was not aware of the law until she tried to register him on her household registration.

1 Like

So in this case, there would have been about a nine year wait before this sexist law was amended in 2000, retroactive only to kids born to Taiwanese mothers and foreign fathers on February 10, 1980 or later. So your kid would eventually have the right to gain citizenship—but not our friends on this site born before that 1980 cut-off point.

Guy

2 Likes

Yes. I think the cut off point was wrong as should have been for any child of an ROC citizen. My son decided to apply for his Taiwan nationality after he left Taiwan when he started university in Australia. In fact he got his ROC passport about the same time I resumed being an Australian citizen in 2011.

NWOHR passport holders have no HHR or ID card so therefor cannot be conscripted. That sexist law worked out in the end. Some others I knew rushed out and got their sons HHR and ID and were shocked to find out their sons had to complete military service before being allowed overseas.

As my son often reminds me, we only use the hand we were dealt with. He was not included with me for naturalization in 1998. So he lived here as a foreigner until 2011 when his ARC expired when he turned 20.

Now under a new law in 2024 it should be he can get his HHR and ID card without requiring further residence in Taiwan. His children however can get Taiwan nationality but not HHR and ID cards as their parents were not ROC citizens with HHR and ID at time of birth.

That’s life.

Which law is that?

Guy

However, I do believe there r grounds on the argument I made, just I can’t make the argument in front of the court as my rights technically can’t be infringed as I’m not a national

Send the grandchildren to study with grandpa for a year? :sweat:

Planning to apply for my NWOHR passport, but my child will probably face the same issue post 2024 changes. Either I do the 1 year 居留 or my child does the 居留 if I read it correctly.

It’s a lot of changes to the Immigration Act affecting many groups of people. The new Act is up but not active until the related regulations are updated latest by 2024 March 1.

For people born to Taiwanese parents with HHR it’s removing the 365 day residency requirement. (Article 10)
https://www.reddit.com/r/taiwan/s/MSZsOMlFlW

2 Likes

This is the way. People who really want citizenship and all it entails just go for it.

2 Likes

Higher.

Will have to report back when I get to that point.

Time to rent and move back to Taichung.

It’s now a $27000 flight to Italy to get the papers for me.

2 Likes

No, but equal treatment is a right. To be fair, they should enforce single citizenship on everyone if they don’t like it that much.

2 Likes

Italy still does.

1 Like

I spent $10980 back in 2015~2016 when I naturalized.
Start of Journey: Jan 14th 2015
End of Journey: June 27th 2016
Total Amount Spent: $100(居留證明書)+$50(Shida’s record of Study)+$200(Postal Order for Candidature Cert.)+$4880(Renunciation Fee)+$400(Authentication Fee)+$750(Notarization Fee)+$1000(Postal Order for Naturalization Cert.)+$1000(TARC Fee)+$1470(Health Check Fee)+$600(定居證)+$50(ID Fee)+$30(New Household Registration Booklet) = $10980 (Not inclusive of all other miscellaneous expenses)

1 Like

Funny I asked that I be drafted into the ROC military if they would give me citizenship

Denied

I am with the same rights as a tourist

1 Like

Well they don’t draft foreigners. That worked out well for my son as his people his age were being drafted and he was free to leave and go overseas for university.

1 Like

Yeah I’m totally fine with enforcing single citizenship on everyone, but the current law has preferential treatment only for themselves.

I hope they stop playing this tit for tat game of reciprocality such as the recent enabling disability benefits for foreigners of a few western countries rather than enabling it for all foreigners. It makes them look petty and merely making reactionary policy adjustments for foreigners who complain enough.

3 Likes

There is no reciprocity for citizenship. Each country decides their own laws.
What other countries allow is not relevant. Also the disability should be available to all JFRV and APRC holders it should be challenged that it is only for a few countries.

1 Like