Taiwan Just (slightly) Relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules.


Actual Translation:

We don’t have a clue what’s going on…If you’re a genius like Albert Einstein or Zuckerberg, we don’t understand why you even want to live here forever…We will still ask the higher powers on what steps we should take to make this as smooth and easy for you (don’t count on that though)…in the meanwhile, just sit and relax till we get back to you. :smile:


Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about the APRC. But this applies to everybody, not just married folks.


All jokes aside, I did find the ppl working at the HHRs to be very courteous and helpful and they, in fact, welcome foreigners to become citizens (as was my case). But they can only go this far as they have to abide by whatever rules the MOI / Legislature set out for them to follow which most of the times are confusing and difficult to interpret by different bodies of the Govt.

I wish everyone the best who’s going down this road…wonder which Forumoson will be the first to get his/her Citizenship this way? :slight_smile:


My pal is just now at the Household Registration and THEY offered him to apply under the new regulations. Him being so modest -he has a lot of accomplishments, IMHO- declined, as he thinks he may not qualify.


Could you please expand? What accomplishments did the HRO feel he has that qualify him to apply?


Dunno. But they offered. He is a successful businessman, several degrees, dunno.

He says he didn’t ask. he already put his paperwork in.

he says when they saw his degree


Can you just do a 72 hour course or do you NEED to take a proficiency course as well?


It is 200 hours, not 72 hours unless you’re 65 years or older.


You don’t need to go to school at all. You just need to prove that you’re fluent up to a certain standard. :slight_smile:


Persons meeting any one of the following conditions shall be recognized as having basic language abilities and general knowledge of the rights and duties of ROC citizens:

  1. Has proof that he/she has studied in a domestic public or private school for at least one year.
  2. Has proof that he/she has participated for a certain number of hours, as specified below, in an educational program offered by government agencies.
    3. Has proof that he/she has passed the test for basic language abilities and general understanding of the rights and duties of naturalized ROC citizens (hereinafter the “naturalization test”).
    With respect to proof of participation in an educational program offered by government agencies as specified in Subparagraph 2 above, the regulations are as follows:
  3. For applications made in accordance with Paragraph 1 of Article 3 of this Act: proof of at least 200 hours of class time is required.
  4. For applications made in accordance with Subparagraph 1 of Paragraph 1 of Article 4 of this Act, or by persons who, subsequent to divorce from an ROC national, have exercising responsibility of the right and obligation for the minor children: proof of at least 72 hours of class time is required.
  5. For applications made in accordance with Subparagraph 2 to Subparagraph 4 of Paragraph 1 of Article 4, or Article 5 of this Act: proof of at least 100 hours of class time is required.
  6. For applications made in accordance with Paragraph 1 of Article 3, Paragraph 1 of Article 4, or Article 5 of this Act by persons aged 65 years or over: proof of at least 72 hours of class time is required.
    Programs offered by government agencies in accordance with Subparagraph 2 of Paragraph 1 include those run directly by government agencies themselves, as well as those that are run on behalf of, or subsidized by, the government at various organizations or schools.


And you can go from no or very little Chinese language proficiency to being able to pass that test just by studying in your free time using this guide: Cracking the Naturalization Language Exam - A Guide


Please note that above mentione dprograms do entail going to school… your local elementary school to receive a Chinese Mandarin course for free, in the company of assorted South East Asian newlywed brides.


I attended a public mandarin training center in one of the universities , that’s the other option.


Shh, don’t give away esoteric knowledge to the riff-raff! :astonished:



Here’s a link to the whole document online:


The third item is interesting. It says that if you have some kind of special, rare or new talent that doesn’t fit into the categories that they’ve listed, you can provide your own documentation and ask the Executive Yuan to pick a relevant competent authority to assess it. Seems like a pretty long shot, but who knows?



Hi, just sent you a PM



Replied :slight_smile:


Bunch of other incentives for foreign professionals proposed.


This part concerns me

"The draft would encourage students who graduate from the world’s top 500 universities to participate in internships in private companies in Taiwan, but the minimum monthly salary would be set at NT$47, 971 to avoid taking jobs from local Taiwanese citizens. "

This is a double edged sword.

The high minimum salary for Taiwan will make it more unlikely corporations will want to hire foreigners. As it is, most corporations in Taiwan don’t want us anyway.

However with the salaries being as low as they are now, it’s unlikely a student who graduates from the worlds top universities will want to come here for $25,000nt a month starting salary when they can go almost anywhere else and make more.

Therefore my unprofessional opinion is this will attract so few students as to make it worthwhile. Taiwan would need to make a fundamental change in its hiring practices which is unlikely.

Although good for the government for trying to encourage people by getting out of the way with the many regulations


Under the new law, foreign professionals, their spouses, and non-adult children would no longer have to wait six months to become eligible for Taiwan’s national health insurance.

Apparently this part isn’t tied to the “top 500” elitism, but if “professionals” means “white collar”, there’s still an obvious objection.

There is also a proposed “seeking employment gold card,” which would provide recipients with a six month period to find employment.

How would this be different from a 180 day visitor visa? Would it give you access to VIP rooms in banks and what not?