Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

Oh. I see. You meant that in order to regain your original citizenship that you renounced, you do not have to take your original country’s language exam.

The US isn’t easy to say the least. You renounce and you don’t have to ability to get it back easily.

If fact, you’ll be treated no differently than anyone else in the world who wants to become a permanent resident or citizen. It’s quite the shit sandwich.

6 Likes

Yeah, Americans really get the shaft on this.

Meanwhile, all my (Taiwanese) students here in Taiwan have US passports and many of them have 1) not been there since they were babies and 2) can’t speak English worth :poop:

I speak fluent Mandarin and have lived here for my entire adult life.

8 Likes

Although you may be able to speed up the process a little bit by coming in illegally over the southern border. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So many “American” passport holders here in Taiwan, who are not truly Americans in the sense that they ever lived there or have any American cultural values. See T.A.S. for reference.

I was once in the American Citizens Service area of the AIT. An old Taiwanese lady asked me if I would translate an English document to Mandarin for her and help her fill it out. I replied that this section of the AIT was for American citizens only and that as a Taiwanese, she needed to go back downstairs to get assistance. She then pulled out her US passport and said, “我有這個。” I replied, “所以你是美國人,對吧?” and she said, “不對。 我只有護照。” I then slowly walked away from her shaking my head in disapproval.

Can’t speak English, can’t fill out a form, denies being a US citizen and wants a true American to assist her when I can’t have Taiwanese citizenship without renouncing my US citizenship? FUCK OFF!

13 Likes

I have thought of this actually.

1 Like

When regaining German citizenship you are treated as any foreigner who wants to get it and they also force you to give up any other citizenship’s.
The only way for German and Taiwanese double citizenship is through birthright like my kids. Or if Taiwanese child grows up in Germany, with parents having permanent residence, going to school there for 6 years.

5 Likes

Not really, it will take living a full year back home, not an option.

Actually pretty good news on this lately!

Among the key policies of the new German government are:

• Allowing dual citizenship and simplifying the immigration process.

https://twitter.com/tabouchadi/status/1463531270068219909

According to the paper presented by the SPD, the Greens and the FDP, multiple citizenship should be made possible and the path to acquiring German citizenship should be simplified. As a rule, naturalization should be possible after five years, and after three years in the case of special integration achievements.

This would be awesome!

I will need to get out to get my birth certificate, spend 3-4 weeks to get it translated and stamped, notarized. Not just simple, quick and easy.

1 Like

Is Belgium really that horrible?

Oh yeah, it all got changed the last couple of years. And, I would need to get a resident permit first.
Renouncing is easy, just show the Taiwanese papers and they cancel it as soon as you can show proof of nationality in Taiwan. You’ll never be stateless.

Condolences…

1 Like

Here is a video from Taiwanese in Germany on new immigration law.
(I didn’t watch it yet)

How about citizenship for serving in the military and not having to renounce?

3 Likes

No. My reward should not be I finally don’t have to deal with bank and phone discrimination. I save someone’s life, I should get PAID.

Only in Taiwan would they take a stroke of a pen, of which the ink costs less than pennies and call that a ‘reward’ and David Spencer is an idiot for suggesting this.

Only Taiwanese citizens are eligible to serve in the country’s armed forces and reserves. But Taiwan generally does not permit dual citizenship and requires foreign nationals who want to take Taiwanese citizenship to relinquish their own citizenship first.

Stop spreading misinformation David Spencer. They allow dual citizenship. Just not for foreigners.

9 Likes

This isn’t totally accurate (the just not for foreigners part), you can resume your citizenship legally after naturalizing as long as your original country allows you too. Also, foreigners from countries that don’t allow renunciation are exempt from renouncing. So there are definitely an unknown (likely large) amount of naturalised Taiwanese who are dual citizens.

The US is a notable example of a country that doesn’t allow the resumption of citizenship. The UK and Australia allow resumption pretty easily, Canada does with a few requirements.

Taiwan totally allows dual citizenship but just won’t budge on renunciation being part of the naturalisation process… it’s so odd (to put it nicely)

I’m eligible to naturalise next year and have already started getting the documents together, I’m going to sit the chinese test soon :grin:

Update, i should have read higher in the thread :joy: 1077 seemed a bit daunting

I know. I have been lobbying for the relaxation of the rules for years. I just don’t wanna type too much.

Trust me. On this forum, many know me and a few others as Mr Dual Citizenship.

4 Likes

I didn’t read high enough up, my bad :joy: nice to know someone’s done it though!

I’m married to a Taiwanese citizen so I should be able to be granted my Taiwanese citizenship, renounce, and resume my Australian citizenship before I’d be eligible for an APRC.

It’s another thing that doesn’t make sense, I’m eligible to naturalise after 3 years but can’t apply for an APRC until 5 years residency.

1 Like

Yeeah, you can, but even when you do, it’s not always practical

Australia’s the easiest.

I’m already a dual citizen…of Italy and Canada. That’s four years of living between both countries to restore. Not practical.

3 Likes