"Taiwan officials talk about surveillance and built-in censorship in Xiaomi devices"

opinions?

They should ban Xiaomi, Huawei and other traitorous tech companies or at least make them submit source code every update and remove Chinese censorship.

7 Likes

What’s the deal with Oppo/One Plus? They make the clearly best product for my needs unfortunately.

1 Like

They’re Chinese and since the government has the final say over all companies in China, they can’t be trusted…no matter how slick their marketing and design languages are.

6 Likes

That’s my basic feeling as well.

2 Likes

I know everyone talks about phones. But I stay away from any tech owned by china like Lenovo.

2 Likes

had a Lenovo, absolute trash.

3 Likes

A teacher put a Xiaomi security/web camera in the stairwell at school. It kept shutting itself off. They kept going in to the app to see who was near the camera when it happened, but no one was. I told them Xiaomi is a CCP surveillance device; they’re probably shutting it off remotely. Everyone rolled their eyes. I’m not saying I actually believe the words I said, but I am saying it’s not an argument that I think should be ruled out.

What possible reason would they have for shutting off their “surveillance device”, surely that defeats the purpose of a “surveillance device”?

Tinkering with it while spying?

I’ll have to join your colleagues… :roll:

I would say it’s infinitely more likely it, or it’s power supply, is on the blink or someone set the sleep settings and forgot about them. The chances that the CCP have a massive interest in surveilling the stairwell at a school and are constantly tinkering with the camera are really pretty much non existent.

2 Likes

It’s too bad, I love my Oppo. If I have to pay significantly more to get the features I want, I’ll probably bite the bullet though. Need to research it more

What are you going to get that isn’t made in China anyway? Maybe a couple Samsung options? Any htc options left?

That’s true of so many things. Even if I get a Samsung (likely plan B), am I sure none of the components are made in China?

I should have added “and get the Oppo” to “bite the bullet” to be clear.

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. Some components are much less risky than others though. Looks like lg also makes a decent number is phones in S Korea, there’s some Asus options, and Sony still makes phones on Japan. I always like the Sony phones, but man, do you pay for them.

There’s loads of brands, I have some specific requirements that Oppo really hits the boxes on at a good price. I probably won’t settle for a less attractive option or pay 2x the cost, which seem to be my basic options at present.

Really I just don’t want Chinese spyware watching me at any time. It’s the same reason I unplug peoples google homes/Alexas when I enter their homes. Why are people so willing to let anyone at all into their personal spaces?!

I think you’ll find fewer and fewer people are willing to let you into their personal spaces if you unplug their appliances when you enter their homes.

5 Likes

Are you in the market for a phone?

I’m starting the search process.