Taiwan Police Shoot Foreigner

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Mr He”]

I have met so many people here who come here, teaches, do not learn about how the place works, do not really learn the language, however they have a fun year. Instead of heading home, getting into a career track and what have you not, they repeat and repeat that year ad nauseam, and it’s all jolly good, until they are 46, have a swelling gut, and no prospects other than teaching till they drop.

They then blame surrounding society (and pencil penises, it seems on taiwanease) on their predicament, if it is one, and well, you see a lot of it here, even though I do not know which expat site here you see most of it on.[/quote]

So? What the hell has that got to do with this thread?[/quote]

And there are many many who do not. You seem awfully judgemental of the way people earn money, somehow conflating that with drunk driving. Why’s that? Why do you think selling crap makes you a more admirable person?[/quote]

Unfortunately some people have trouble with the concept that people come here for many, many different reasons.

It is usually the result of their crappy situation, and trying to justify it.

In many cases it is a simple lifestyle choice.

What that has to do with drunk driving is beyond me? I fail to see the correlation?/

Is it against the rules to mention his username? I cannot figure out who he is and nobody is mentioning his name.

Yes. I dont know why this thread was even started. Theres an equally acrimonious thread at Taiwanease, it was my sincere hope that the topic could have been avoided altogether here. Anyway this is from the rules.

[quote]Outing
Published on August 18, 2011 by Founder in Forum Rules
Do not post personal information about any other person even if that information is publicly available. This includes, but is not limited, to divulging personal information such as the real-life identity of other Forumosans, telephone numbers, or sexual orientation. In addition, Forumosa does not condone or encourage efforts by individuals to “dig up” information about other visitors. You may post the public contact information for public figures, but you may not post anyone’s private information without their consent.[/quote]

Yes. I don’t know why this thread was even started. Theres an equally acrimonious thread at Taiwanease, it was my sincere hope that the topic could have been avoided altogether here. Anyway this is from the rules.

[quote]Outing
Published on August 18, 2011 by Founder in Forum Rules
Do not post personal information about any other person even if that information is publicly available. This includes, but is not limited, to divulging personal information such as the real-life identity of other Forumosans, telephone numbers, or sexual orientation. In addition, Forumosa does not condone or encourage efforts by individuals to “dig up” information about other visitors. You may post the public contact information for public figures, but you may not post anyone’s private information without their consent.[/quote][/quote]

The funny thing about the thread over there is that they’re giving us shit for the acrimony in this thread. And there’s no difference in the level of discourse on either site!

As I pointed out 16 pages ago we joined the party five days late and no one has said anything remotely insightful since, just a bunch of old fish wives having a gossip. :sunglasses:

All right, I know english teachers here, and I like the ones I know in person.

I however see and meet a lot of washed-up burnouts here, who have put their lives on annual repeat since 25, and when you are 46, it’s just sad, as any pride from their work is gone long time ago.

On the other hand, selling “shit” motivates me, the “shit” selling evolves all the time, and challenges me every day. I feel that I grow, I see things grow around me, and it’s all good.

There has been some discussion of the circumstances under which the police here are justified in the use of deadly force.

The title of the law governing the use of weapons by the police has been translated in various ways. For convenience’s sake, I’ll give it a title I saw on the Ministry of the Interior’s website, “The Statute Governing Use of Arms by the Police.”

This appears to be the text of the part of that law which appears to be pertinent to this discussion, namely Article 4 (from the Ministry of Justice website):

[quote]警察人員執行職務時,遇有下列各款情形之一者,得使用警刀或槍械:
一、為避免非常變故,維持社會治安時。
二、騷動行為足以擾亂社會治安時。
三、依法應逮捕、拘禁之人拒捕、脫逃,或他人助其拒捕、脫逃時。
四、警察人員所防衛之土地、建築物、工作物、車、船、航空器或他人之生命、身體、自由、財產遭受危害或脅迫時。
五、警察人員之生命、身體、自由、裝備遭受強暴或脅迫,或有事實足認為有受危害之虞時。
六、持有兇器有滋事之虞者,已受警察人員告誡拋棄,仍不聽從時。
七、有前條第一款、第二款之情形,非使用警刀、槍械不足以制止時。前項情形於必要時,得併使用其他經核定之器械。[/quote] law.moj.gov.tw/LawClass/LawAll.a … e=D0080042

The following text appears to contain something on the order of a translation of Article 4, from the website of the Bureau of Justice Statistics of the U. S. Department of Justice (I cannot vouch for its accuracy in general or its accuracy as a translation):

[quote]Use of force. According to the Law Regulating the Use of Police Arms, conditions under which deadly force may be employed include:

1. In the avoidance of an extreme incident and in keeping the social peace.
  2. To control disturbances or riots that could cause harmful effects on the social order.
  3. To prevent the escape and the resistance of the convicted offender.
  4. To prevent the suspect from endangering the full enforcement of police duty, and/or when knowing the suspect may pose a risk of physical harm to others.
  5. To prevent imminent physical danger to police requiring the use of deadly force.
  6. To stop a suspect who is carrying weapons and attempting to hurt others and who has not followed a police order to stop.[/quote] bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/WFBCJTAI.TXT

It seems to me that determinations of the appropriateness or not of the use of deadly force on the part of the police might well need to be made case by case, that such determinations might well rely greatly on specific facts, and that the soundness of such determinations might well vary according to how much confidence can be placed in accounts of the facts.

Mick,

Don’t you think this is a cautionary tale that many readers can benefit from?

I also started it to provide a link to a support group for those so inclined.

It’s also news…and about one of our own. We have a thread about a man-eating croc in a far away land. This is as local as it gets.

The acrimony is unfortunate, with that I’ll agree. Alas, there are lots of folks so unhappy with their lives that they have to sit at their ivory keyboards and cast aspersions. Sad, but I try to stay immune to it. I guess like giving racists leave to post their hate and expose themselves to all as the creeps they are, threads such as this expose posters for their true selves. I personally have discovered one long time poster that I’ll have none of from here on in as a result of his posts herein.

As for the other thread, well…we reach a much wider audience and I figured the admin of the other site might appreciate his support group getting “The Flob Bump”.

I am a bit wary of setting off another shitfest, however where does the incident belong?

Number 4 and 5 would be my guess.

A guy who posts on here got shot by a policeman. If that is not threadworthy, what is?

A guy who posts on here got shot by a policeman. If that is not threadworthy, what is?[/quote]

I hear you, just these threads always turn into a shitfest.

Friend of poster writes

I in no way defend my friends actions. Then goes off on 20 page rant, the police here are all corrupt, the policeman was a thug, he shouldn’t have used such force, friend was just defending himself, cops are liars, wouldnt have happened in a civilized county :taz:

Another poster writes

I really hate drink driving, I have had close friends and family killed by a drunk driver.

Friend of poster writes

You self righteous prick, no one ever tried to defend his actions. Join the holier than thou group you useless worthless piece of belly fluff, everyone hates you, even your mother wished you were never born, whats wrong with all you posters? Don’t you know how to conduct yourself in a forum, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. :taz:

Who you know is more important than who you are.

Ah, thank you Mr He for the words of wisdom.

Close. Actually, I’m tickling the ebonies and being cast in the same pall over.

[quote=“Pop Fly”]
It’s also news…and about one of our own. [/quote]

I think a lot of effort on both sites went into keeping this persons online persona private, I understand your reasons for posting, but kind of cringed when you called the person shot a Forumosan, Im really not sure how close friends you are with him or how he would feel about that fact being posted, or arousing peoples curiosity in the title to who this Forumosan may be.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“Pop Fly”]
It’s also news…and about one of our own. [/quote]

I think a lot of effort on both sites went into keeping this persons online persona private, I understand your reasons for posting, but kind of cringed when you called the person shot a Forumosan, Im really not sure how close friends you are with him or how he would feel about that fact being posted, or arousing peoples curiosity in the title to who this Forumosan may be.[/quote]

I don’t know him other than online. But it’s part of the story as far as Forumosa is concerned. I would also think he has bigger things to worry about. It was clear from the 2nd post on The Tease that he was part of the community, so it’s not like I was revealing any state secrets. I don’t think it’s actually been revealed who he is, has it? Long time posters know, but I am quite sure the hoi polloi have no idea who our unfortunate son is. Then again, I could be wrong. I am not going to reread the entire thread to see if his online handle was mentioned or not. I only know I never brought it up.

It’s a good point though, belated but I will change the thread title. Indeed under our rules his identity can’t be revealed and it shouldn’t be encouraged.

Foreigner or American? :laughing:

You could also title this thread as ‘Random people jockey for position over man getting shot in the legs.’ Or how about, ‘vitriol and vinegar.’

A lot of people here think their opinion means a lot more than it actually does. But they shouldn’t. Me included.

I liked the summation that, ‘on here we can stand as real people and we can shout and piss and scratch because in real life we are battered and bruised.’ That kinda sums it all up. Forumosa et al are places where we can be Batman or President George W Obama or whoever we want to be. For one shiny moment when we press ‘send’ we are a hero. Even if it is just to ourselves.

Anyway, 10 km chase on a scooter, that is a pretty long way. Dude must have had at least one or two moments where he wondered what the frick he was gonna do next. Bet he never factored in a bullet to the legs. Dumbass!

Perhaps then, the other thread that makes reference to his identity can also be edited. Not that it matters really. Those that know the guy probably know his f.com identity and they are the only ones that matter.

Wonder what kind of punishment he will receive? Suspended sentence? Being a resident he should be treated like a resident and be sentenced to whatever a Taiwanese would be sentenced to for the same transgression. And also not be faced with deportation.

He has paid his dues. Let the man stay and treat him like a local sentence wise.

I say let him cool in the can for a few months and then let him go about his business . And hopefully he has learned a few lessons.