Taiwan Predictions Next 5 Years 2020-2025

Heading to the Stans? :grin:

1 Like

Assuming Trump get’s another 4 years.

His model in EU will be higher taxes on EU products and a free trade agreement with the now Brexited UK to create a friendly country geopolitically positioned to take advantage to the tax difference.

No reason to expect taxes on China goods to go away, instead using the same model a FTA with Taiwan that creates the same geopolitical situation.

1 Like

Really…? Wow! I m glad I at least hit one point . :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

How exactly ? I see a lot of waffle about this, please feel free to explain in the Brexit thread rather than this one.

You know what geopolitical means right ? The UK loses the geopolitical advantages it had. They lose the right to process European payments and taxes through the UK and that’s just one example of what they lose in the region. They also will lose any transhipment or logistics biz for the region.

Ireland and Holland are going to boom from Brexit, not the UK (except for NI maybe…).

1 Like

Five years isn’t very long. I don’t expect any major changes given how slow any big changes take here.
Any domestic changes should already be started as a policy to see effect five years later.

Obviously a bunch of universities will close down. Taichung will have an MRT finally. Taoyuan a new terminal and runway.

As for the economy, barred any Chinese attack or embargo or world recession ,.I see Taiwan very much on the economic upswing. If wages also rose we would see white collar immigration and more diversity , I’m not holding my breath yet though .

As for social stuff, the zombification will probably continue .

Maybe Taiwan could get way more popular and well known with hikers and adventurous tourists, I see it getting more popular already.

I won’t be here though otherwise I’ll never leave. :sunglasses:

Famous last words… :wink:

2 Likes

If we arent in the beginning stages of war by 2025, I will be one happy camper!

Depends on the next plague.

Taiwan will become an independent nation officially if the death toll is big enough that China can’t hide it and affects enough developed countries that they also go in final recession. World mess exacerbated by weather anomalies and sea life gone. So no more problems with fisheries…or borders, as people running scared from one disaster to another bump into each other.

But at least we might be free.

2 Likes

Feeling positive today Icon. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Raised Evangelical I call that. And yeah, it has been a tough…year.

2 Likes

Well it’s close to the end. Hang tight and we will make it to the 20s…That could be your best decade yet !

1 Like

A war between Taiwan and China will cause a serious recession. Probably like the world has never seen.

1 Like

That will be the least of our worries.

Well thats inspiring. But ya. It doesnt seem “the world” really comes together in times of need. Except in war that is.

I am hoping for taiwan, us, in the next decade or 2 but i must admit i am not optimistic. Mostly because we as a tiny island require international help fighting the goliath douce. But seems the only government that seems to actually do anything is trumps. Which should frighten all of us.

Heres a fun thought. If you were to choose between another trump term of a democratic bloomberg presidency, which one? The topic is China and taiwan just happens to be one of the biggest pawns in the game.

So on point i see lots more real estate speculation and as people of newer generations realizing our crap situation they will try hard to make bank before it all breaks. Even if nothing happens i see some internal issues being caused from fear, especially economic.

Korean Fish will lose the election, but his supporters will get angry and there will be unrest and protests because he will whip his supporters up in a frenzy by claiming the election was rigged.

Taipei and to a lesser extent second-tier cities like Kaohsiung, Taichung and Tainan will develop, while smaller cities/towns and the countryside are left to neglect and the gap in living standards increase.

Realizing the healthcare impact and the negative international image associated with it, there will be a half-hearted attempt to ban betelnut at some point, but all the blue collar workers who rely on it will complain and politicians will quickly walk back any proposals in fear of electoral reprisal.

Most relevant to us, due to declining birth rates, many buxibans, public schools and universities will shut down and the ESL job market will become many times more competitive. Western teachers will flee in greater numbers to SE Asian countries like Vietnam (similarly, South Korea and Japan will also be tapped out, and China will make it so difficult for western teachers that no one will want to work there).

Mexican food is the next foodie fad here. Taco Bell will open near Taipei 101 and be massively successful its first few months before business drops off and it shutters after a couple years.

Taiwan becomes a regional AI R&D hub. Foreign investment in software complements indigenous investment in electrical engineering by the likes of TSMC and Gogoro.

Taiwan joins the CPTPP, signs an FTA with the UK, lifts its ban on US pork and beef, and then either signs an FTA with the United States or expands on the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA). Other countries follow the US. Taiwan and comes out of its externally-imposed economic isolation, and incomes and birthrates rise modestly.

Japanese and European wind energy firms continue their investments.

Under Rakuten’s leadership, and with more less mundaneness around a fifth team in Weichuan’s resurrection, baseball regains its former popularity and draws 10,000 a game.

Wish list:
Scores of Indian programmers immigrate.
Professionals from Eastern Europe immigrate, eyeing higher incomes and a safe, convenient place.

2 Likes

Off topic but this has always been one of my big frustrations with Taiwan and I agree with your viewpoint. It’s just almost impossible to find a nice town or village here that you could live and work out of comfortably. They are mostly very run down and identikit looking.

This happens to rural areas all over the world, the problem is in Taiwan the rich people never moved to some villages in the suburbia or built up some nice holiday towns.

1 Like

I’m predicting an FTA with the US.

1 Like

Great ! We need to push forward with it hard now. Tsai is a master trade negotiator maybe she can get it done.

1 Like

I dont think even mr korea could disagree with that.

If Taiwan has FTAs with key players then ALL industries will be getting stimulated. It being delayed/stopped has been a pretty obsurd happening for all this time. Juat imagine the manufacturing alone that truly would come back.