Taiwan, Province of China?

Nah, they can keep it. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ve messaged a number of companies and told them they lost by business because of their completely irrelevant to anything politics. None of them ever answer me.

1 Like

No.

Guy

1 Like

I got this the other day, but now I forgot where I took the screenshot from. :sweat:

Greater China is a geographical/cultural term rather than a political one, and Taiwan is undoubtedly geographically and culturally a part of Greater China, so I don’t see much of a problem with this, but hard to say if it’s suitable not knowing where the screenshot was taken from

大中華
Dà Zhōnghuá

You will also find most Taiwanese, even the pro independence ones like my wife agree that Taiwan is part of Greater China.

2 Likes

I remembered! I was watching WeCrashed, so I looked up if there was a WeWork in Taipei. It’s from WeWork’s location page: https://www.wework.com/locations

(Sorry about replying you in the wrong thread, I had both tabs open )

I think that was probably a move by WeWork to not cause any political tension by listing Taiwan by itself, or Taiwan as a part of PR China. Quite smart actually.

1 Like

I don’t, neither would most of the pro independence ones I know.

3 Likes

I would specifically ask them what they think 大中華 means. It’s specifically used here to refer to Chinese speaking regions.

Greater China is an informal geographical area that shares commercial and cultural ties with the Han Chinese people

Considering Taiwan’s population is majority Han Chinese, and Taiwan has significant cultural and linguistic ties to China, Taiwan meets the definition of greater China perfectly.

I personally think that term is meaningless, as the term 中華 is also constructed in the early 20th century and means absolutely nothing. Well, not nothing, just not what it claims to mean. It claims to represent all ethnicity under the control of Qing, however, it really means Han supremacy.

2 Likes

Don’t you think Taiwan has Han supremacy? Last time I checked population was mostly Han.

95 to 97% according to government statistics.

Just because you, and many others don’t like the term, doesn’t mean it doesn’t mean what it means. I don’t like the term 老外 but there is no doubt it undoubtedly means white foreigner.

Before the KMT Taiwan had Nipponjin supremacy, before that it was Holo supremacy. KMT’s brand of Han supremacy is the supremacy of Mando speaking Late-immigrants.

Regardless, most pro independence people, such as most in the DPP, recognizes that’s wrong, and new laws like the National Language Development Act aims to undo some of the damage.

As a result, they wouldn’t say Taiwan is a part of 大種花

Oh, and Han supremacy is not the same as Han majority. I think you have those two confused.

1 Like

Never heard of that

You don’t think there is Han supremacy here? Have you ever spoken to a Taiwanese person? Have you ever seen how, even the young generations despise and criticize aboriginals for their lifestyle habits? How they see them as less than themselves?

Perhaps you’ve heard the stereotype that aboriginals spend all their paycheck on alcohol and live cheque to cheque without saving any money? I hear it every time I’m watching TV with any Taiwanese person and an aboriginal shows up

2 Likes

First of all I know there is Mando Han supremacy here.

As to young people being racists, of course those people exists, but to say those represents the majority of young Taiwanese would be like saying all Ukrainians are Nazis just because some of them like to use Nazi symbolism.

I would think most of them would not hold the same view after some education.

I think you are mixing up what I mean.

Obviously most Taiwanese don’t identify as 大中華人 or 中華人, but they do, in my experience always understand that the term 大中華 includes Taiwan.

And I’ve heard all Hakkas are stingy and all people living in the South rides wild boars to school. There are a lot of ignorant people who think these kinds of stereotypes are funny.

1 Like

Sorry, that is quite funny

2 Likes

Anyway, there is no real discussion to be had here. Greater China, is a geographical and sometimes cultural term that includes Taiwan, that is a fact. Nobody is saying Taiwan is China, well some people are but I’m not. You can’t argue about geographical facts, it just is what it is. It’s like if you tried arguing that Taiwan is not part of Asia Pacific. As much as you want Taiwan to be an island cuddled up to Japan, or in the middle of the pacific on it’s own, the fact of the matter is that it is not. I’m happy for you to argue all day that Taiwan is Taiwan, but there is no arguing that Taiwan is where it is, and the population are culturally close to pre-communist Chinese values.