Taiwan, Province of China?

How funny it is a lot of times depends on the power dynamics. The fact is Mandarin and people who buy into the Mandarin dominated Han culture considers themselves elites and superior to others, since Mandarin is the only language for education, law, and business. As a result, them using stereotypes of groups whose language and culture are different as jokes seems racist. However, if today the power is balanced between different languages and cultures, they would just be considered fun jabs, like how European countries or American states like to poke fun of one another.

I think it’s a political term and sometimes cultural term invented by Chinese people trying to incorporate Taiwan.

1 Like

Maybe

I see it fairly frequently for the regional headquarters of companies etc., where they’ve presumably decided it’s the least offensive/most neutral among the options.

Like I’ve said before, I’d find it easier to get offended by this if Taiwanese people/companies/government weren’t regularly using “China”/“Chinese” everywhere. But they are, so… :man_shrugging:t3:

Most of those companies with China in its name were founded prior to the 1990s, and certainly before the first election that removed KMT from power. Many of those were originally named Taiwan back in the Japanese era, and were forced to change when the KMT took over.

2 Likes

They’re still there, though.

CSB tried to change most of them, and was branded as radical by KMT supporters and the US government.

1 Like

My son’s soccer team has “Chinese Taipei” on their uniforms. I thought this was an odd choice…the country/region of the team is unlikely to make a difference for anything the team ever does. I asked why they chose this and apparently 2 of the coaches played on the Taiwanese national team and that’s the language they used, so they wanted it on the kids’ team’s uniform to make it seem more like what the national team used. It still seems strange to me, but I’m just a guest here.

Eww No. I wouldn’t want unification even under our rule.

2 Likes

This is quite oversimplified. Most people have mixed with aborigines. Even if that percentage of lineage is small, most people have at least some aboriginal lineage in Taiwan.

From Kuomintang colonialism.

1 Like

I don’t think this is true.

Would love to see some data though.

It’s complicated…

https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1267&context=aprci

4 Likes

The concept does not always include Taiwan, for instance Cisco uses “Greater China and Taiwan” to refer to the market

2 Likes

According to China
You are all Chinese

At least having a tiny bit of Han blood you are IN like Flint

Unlike the white race which seems to point out the part of you that is Not white

If you are black and white you are black

If you are Asian and white you are Asian

Etc

Obama is considered black while he is as much white as he is black

In like Flint?

Google ?

Google would likely tell you that the common expression is in like Flynn. It rhymes, you see. So, back to my question…

pedantic much? Ok “In like flynn” it is then my bad :slight_smile:

the pottery in question was 1862 and not 1861

gaw dang engrish teachers (not you…me, i was one)

1 Like

Definitely not an English teacher. Honestly wondered what you meant or wouldn’t have asked. Changed my tone after your response was to snarkily tell me to Google something that only existed in your head (and apparently in the title of an old movie).

1 Like

It depends on whose looking really. For Mexicans I’m too white, for whites I’m too brown for example