Taiwan should consider giving large child credits

Right, that does it - remove all child subsidies instantly.

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Thatā€™s a gross exaggeration.

Why do you think he is good for sustainability ?

1 Like

Expats could be either.

Taiwan I think, if thatā€™s a country. They needed the manpower to retake the mainland, but they got a lot of girls.

Which is OK, down the road.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4E6KtQg_z0]

I donā€™t know about open immigration.
Iā€™m seeing so many posts on FB showing no respect for local culture, disdain for the temple parades and other traditions.
I and other people argue that the temple has been the center of Taiwan life for years, since the beginning.
These traditions have been going on for years and is part of the reason that we are here. Well that and the Taiwanese honey trap, but yes, I was caught and absorbed into the culture and so our kids continuing Taiwan and Chinese culture.
Like, if I donā€™t get off this phone and get back to New Year cleaning in a few minutes, Iā€™m a dead man.
So to summarize. When I came here, things were unjust. I was a slave on a plantation. Thank God my girlfriend was legal and business savy.
I cannot tell you how many times our disputes ended with the phrase it would be a shame if we went to the Department of tax or labor with what youā€™re doing. And the bossman sayā€¦ "No need, it was a. Just a misunderstanding. B. A mistake by my account & C. soup if jour.
There were unfair laws about children of foreign fathers, workers rights, opening businesses, driving, you name it.
I was complaining about this and some fellow Forumosa members told me I was a guest in this country and I should except it or leave.
No way. Fortunately, the the leader of this boardā€™s legal forum was a civil rights leader who is responsible for many of the rule changes and even the APARC we enjoy today.
He even, at no cost drafted documents helping me win administrative appeals regarding driverā€™s license and labor issues.
Through all this, I wanted to join the culture replace it.
I and you have your rights. They still need to be improved. But, I draw the line at changing the culture. Tweak out the unfairness butā€¦ We need to codify what it means to be Taiwanese and Iā€™m out of timeā€¦
Iā€™m dead. I must quickly touch on food securityā€¦
For the most part, the store said everything we consume can be seen from the top of the highest apartment building in our village, rice, vegetables, fruit , chicken, pork, fish and perhaps even goat milk. and as for accountability, Iā€™ve taught the children of the farmers who produce these things.
As for fruit itā€™s either feast or famine because the farmers always give away the unsold fruit just before it turns bad to their family, friends, teachers and the community. I sometimes I feel guilty if I cannot take anymore or finish it before it goes bad. there is something special about Taiwan and I do not want to lose it.
Edit: There were tax breaks and even money for having kids. Iā€™m not sure of the details. I just signed the papers. Not much but it came in handy.

First thing Taiwan should fix is the culture around the rolls of men and women in the household.

Or fix the reason there are fewer marriages happening.

is it so different from US?

I believe it to be so.

But you arenā€™t going to get a higher birth rate without a more marriages and also earlier marriages. Too many people get married in their 30s here. The later in life people get married the fewer children they have.

Also the issues around property ownership.

Like any social issue the answer is not one size fits all. You need to address each contributing factor.

Taiwan has the lowest reproduction rate in the world at 1.218 children per woman.

Taiwanese are pretty xenophobic and particularly racist towards darker skin Asians. Especially South East Asians.

The population in Taiwan is expected to decline from the current 23.78 million to 20 million by 2030.

There are currently 1.2 million unoccupied homes in Taiwan. With the number of residential complexes being built I can only see that number growing. Especially when considering the cost of buying into the property market.

Younger Taiwanese are leaving in droves. My kids donā€™t even intend on staying in Taiwan. Taiwan is a closed loop economy. Most of the wealth is held in the top 5% of the population. That doesnā€™t mean a person canā€™t make money through hard work and determination. Just that itā€™s going to be a lot more difficult. Compared to a country like, say Australia, itā€™s a lot easier to be industrious and have a go and make something of it. A large part of that is because wages are so low. That also is the reason why so few can afford to buy into the property market. Itā€™s a vicious circle.

The more educated a Nation becomes the lower the birth rate drops. Probably because people have more understanding of sustainability aspects to their immediate environment. But also because the more educated you become the easier it becomes to earn or make money so the less need for following generations to care for you in retirement.

The only reason why countries try to grow their population rates is because their economies are dependent on never ending growth rates. Especially with the removal of business and income taxes on the wealthy and the introduction of sales taxes to replace that lost revenue.

With advances in technology Taiwan neither needs to encourage people to have more children or go about increasing net migration. All they have to do is introduce taxes that are targeted at the already wealthy and remove tax loopholes that allow those wealthy people to avoid paying their fair share.

2 Likes

First of all, birth rates were much higher when Taiwan was even more patriarchal.

Although wealth is unequal, incomes are not, relatively speaking.

Do you hear Taiwanese say we donā€™t want SE Asian immigrants here? I think everyone knows we need them. There arenā€™t calls to expel them like there are to expel immigrants in the West. If Taiwan had higher unemployment and people believed they were taking jobs away, then maybe youā€™d see some of that. But I think people recognize their complementary role.

1 Like

To be more clear, most countries that have social safety nets cannot afford inverted pyramids.

Taiwan has this problem.

http://research.ord.ntu.edu.tw/landscape/inner.aspx?id=260&chk=4dd6e804-41d7-420d-a4a2-beacba644b44

Good luck with that. Who do you think the people making the rules work for?

Is that supposed to be a selling point?

2 Likes

My point is, Musk is a problem solver and he is dedicated to reduce carbon emissions. The larger the population, the more people we have to solve environmental problems.

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

5 Likes

I thought he was a rich kid who grew into a rich adult who knew what to throw his money toward, but okay.

He can be both. But he could very well be playing video games right now.

1 Like

Or being an Internet troll. At any rate, I donā€™t think more Elon Musks is any better for overpopulation than more of anyone else.

1 Like

Heā€™s moved the electric car industry forward, which would lead to less carbon emissions. Heā€™s done something governments have failed to do.

To generalize a bit, the proportion of math geniuses of the population is constant, so a larger populations means more math geniuses as well (and that includes third-world countries like India). Resources can be created.

So making more babies is a good thing, and for Taiwan, critically necessary to avoid national suicide.