Taiwan should consider giving large child credits

That’s quite a stretch. The planet can sustainably support a limited number of human inhabitants, regardless of their math skills, and Taiwan is more overpopulated than most places.

3 Likes

I hear that.
It’s gonna take a whole lot of coal and oil to power those electric cars in China.

2 Likes

Taiwan is not overpopulated. As mentioned above, tons of buildings are vacant, and the population is declining. In addition to having fewer workers support more elderly people, the country’s economy is run by too many old farts stuck in their ways; we need more young blood.

We can continue to increase the earth’s yield with enough ingenuity.

1 Like

What’s the magic number? The US alone can feed the entire population of the planet if we wanted to. Ever driven across the US? It’s mostly wide open space. Lots of room. I imagine Africa is the same, Russia and China as well. The simple math is this, more middle class people, fewer kids. That’s Econ 101.

1 Like

Those may be the dictionary definitions of the terms, but it’s not the reality of how they are used. Westerners outside of the west are called expats even if they stay their whole lives, while Latin Americans in the US are called immigrants even if they are just earning money temporarily to take home, for example.

Dinner rolls? Cinnamon rolls? Sushi rolls? Tootsie rolls?

So perhaps they should be used in the manner they were intended.

The “magic number “ is up for debate, but it involves way more than just food production and physical space, as you surely must know.

What isn’t up for debate is that population growth cannot be sustained indefinitely.

2 Likes

Believe me, I’d love that as much as anyone, but that isn’t how language works. Dictionaries change to reflect usage, not the other way around.

1 Like

Which is why more middle class people are needed. It’s pretty easy to figure, harder to achieve.

That’s not true at all. Plenty of leading economists, like Mankiw and Easterly, believe a larger population is better for the environment.

1 Like

Freaking flyover states.

I just watched a fish competition in Oklahoma on TV. Guys pulling out 11 pound large mouth bass one after another. Works for me!

I live here in Taiwan see that it is overpopulated. I know your not living in Taiwan so how can you say that without living here. With less people living conditions will improve with bigger homes, and the same resources to share with less people. Vacant apartments have to speculation of property due to low holding costs. Your there across the waterway and not here so how you say those things. And about immigrants, you stated Taiwanese welcome them, that is not what I see or hear on the ground here. The imported labour is that and not expected to stay or wanted here. They are not part of the normal life here and have their lives in a separate part of the city.

Fat rolls. Men can be fat without question.

1 Like

And that’s a natural win-win we should all be striving for! What’s the point, then, in achieving a larger middle class only to bemoan the fact that there’s no longer obscene third-world-style population growth?

1 Like

Yeah, that obscene growth is people. Families. :ponder:

Families take all forms. They don’t need to involve cranking out more than the replacement rate of new humans.

1 Like

Crowded with long lines doesn’t mean overpopulated.

You don’t need to live in Taiwan to know that a super-aged population is national suicide. Fewer and fewer workers supporting more and more old people.

You don’t need to live in Taiwan to know that older people are more stubborn and get stuck in their ways with inefficient management practices.

People create resources.

I didn’t say they were welcomed, only that (1) people know they’re needed and (2) there are no calls to expel them, or electing a president that calls them murderers are rapists.

I don’t need to live in Taiwan to know that a super-aged population is a strain on fewer and fewer workers. I don’t need to live in Taiwan to know that old people are stubborn and keep

1 Like

Though I don’t mind if people who think other human beings are a burden castrate themselves.