Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Of course it is stimulating the economy, but there is no incremental increase unless receivers of the coupons buy more stuff than they would have purchased otherwise(ie if not vouchers were issued)

Scenario 1
Factory guy earns 20k salary, buys daily necessities for 10k cash and sends 10k cash home.

Scenario 2
Factory guy earns 20k + 2k vouchers, buys daily necessities for 8k cash + 2k vouchers, sends 12k cash home.

See, in scenario 2 there is no boost for the economy.

1 Like

…That Taiwanese would complain about foreigners benefiting from something .

6 Likes

Taiwanese can potentially do the same so why bother with it in the first place then ?
Massive holes in the logic here.

6 Likes

I’m with Brian. This doesn’t hold water.

The funds are from tax revenues. We pay taxes, and for many of us we have done so at a higher rate than our peers with Taiwan citizenship!

Guy

4 Likes

Sure Taiwanese can, but I suspect the government figured Taiwanese are less likely to send the funds abroad than blue collar workers.

Arc holders again are too rich to spend the cash and will just save an extra 2k that month

Would have made sense to exclude rich Taiwanese as well, but that would have been unpopular.

A far better program than the hk one though, I’ll be getting 10k hkd on my account next month despite having not lived there for ages

*not saying it’s fair that not everyone is getting 2k

1 Like

Suspect ? There’s no evidence they would do that en masse. Maybe they would simply enjoy the ‘bonus’ to go to an amusement park or something (and I have seen large numbers of migrant workers at amusement parks actually, they weren’t getting in for free either).

Why not not give it to stingy old people as well? I see a lot of excuses for plain ole discrimination here.

If the government gave the migrants workers the right to purchase the vouchers business people in Taiwan could create interesting things and activities for them to spend the money on, specifically on Sundays ! 700k people . And who loses ?

6 Likes

Of course there is no evidence as the vouchers have not been issued yet.

But, there is reason to believe blue collar workers will send the money home because a) the vast majority of them are from south East Asia b) south East Asia has been in lockdown c) their family members most likely work in the informal sector (hence zero/little gov support while they can’t work)

This is not practical, nor politically feasible.

You are working overtime with the justifications after the fact. Taiwan government didnt even bother. I’ll tell you why they didn’t give them…Simply because when Ma Ying Jeo was President they didnt get them either,I bet you there wasn’t much more thought than 'foreigners shouldn’t benefit '. All foreign workers are liable for income tax shouldn’t they get something back and at the same time spend money here ?

8 Likes

Dude, its not a question of fairness.

The multiplier on vouchers issued to blue collar workers is most likely far lower than on local Taiwanese.

And on paying taxes and you getting something back, you get a lot back and and it is only 2000TWD.

It would have been nice to pay it to blue collar workers, but arc holders don’t need the money.

1 Like

Then give it to low income Taiwanese and foreigners only. Because as it stands it’s going to my rich Taiwanese friend and his rich mother who owns 10 properties in Taipei. I doubt she needs it either. So why are foreigners excluded? Try again

8 Likes

Why should I have to pay with MY tax money for Rich Uncle Chen’s new $2000 toy? He already has 5 houses. I can barely even be approved for ONE mortgage.

7 Likes

Meh. Do you know how many bitcoin purchases valued at exactly US$1,200 there were in the month of April? “Investing” in bitcoin isn’t exactly stimulating the economy. But American taxpayers have paid for their stimulus through their taxes, and will pay for their stimulus in their future taxes. The “economic stimulus” is designed to make people comfortable with their spending so they don’t stash 100% of their money under their mattress. It doesn’t matter where they spend the money.

In Taiwan, you can’t play that game. You have to spend the money the government gives you on stuff purchased in Taiwan. Will some people send more money home because they saved NT$2,000 on groceries? Sure. But what real value is NT$2,000 more to your home country?

The whole reason things like social security haven’t been completely ended in the US is because absolutely everyone takes part. You make this for certain groups (poor and immigrants) and the people who aren’t in that group (rich people) attack it and shut it down so that no one can have anything.

1 Like

Yes but not all are forced to pay are eligible for it for a loooooong time I some cases. Sometimes not even then.

so how will they check this for foreigners? I have an APRC due to work but I am married to a Taiwanese, will they just look at the HHR? Asking for my wife, she will probably keep my 2k for buying crap.

2 Likes
1 Like

So all ARC holders are now included?

Can someone help confirm (all text is inside images so you can’t use Google translate):

https://0800056476.sme.gov.tw/covid-19/index2New.php?gid=68

No, just those ARC holders who have a Taiwanese spouse.

I’m still gonna go and attempt to get one and cause a scene when I don’t receive it.

8 Likes

It’s July 1st. Has anyone tried to get their stimulus voucher?

Not yet. Tomorrow I am gonna go to the post office and cause a scene.

I’ve been buildin a temper tantrum for 23 days.

7 Likes