Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Thinking about going to the post office this afternoon, I’m not having a particularly good day and that might motivate me to make a bigger scene!

1 Like

Remember! Your go-to is your other foreign friend got one…conveniently forget to mention they’re married to Taiwanese people.

7 Likes

Ok, understand! I wasn’t thinking of mentioning anything about marriage, I am married to a Taiwanese woman but my APRC was not for marriage, it was for work… the APRC card doesn’t mention anything related to marriage. We’ll see how it goes!

1 Like

Oooh. Then you got one up on me. Your married friend got one but you cant? WHY!?

2 Likes

APRC got through marriage also show nothing about marriage on the card, and yet they have different requirements such as minimum stay etc. Nothing written on the card is not the the proof that it is not an APRC received through the minimum marriage requirements.

1 Like

I think I created some confusion with how I wrote my previous comment, I meant to say I understand…

Yes, my card still says 183 days but NIA told me I can be out up to 5 years. It is damn confusing.

What I want to find out at the Post Office is how would they know you are married to a Taiwanese person?

??? The US you mean.

1 Like

You need to fill out an online form, informing them about the reason why you leave Taiwan and for how long.

Vouchers can only be purchased from the post office from 7/15 onwards…going there now will be of no use anyway. Those eligible for the vouchers can pre-order them now at all convenience stores starting 7/1~7/7.

5 Likes

You can purchase them today at the post office but will be able to receive them and use them after 7/15. I do not want to gamble with the credit card scheme since I can feel they will never credit the money to my account.

It gets confusing:

" Only Taiwanese citizens and foreign spouses who hold Alien Resident Certificates (ARCs) are eligible to claim the vouchers. Details of the measure can be found on the Triple Stimulus Vouchers website in Chinese and English."

or

" From July 1 onward , both Taiwanese citizens and Taiwanese citizens’ foreign spouses who have a valid ROC Resident Certificate are eligible for the vouchers."

Can be an ARC or APRC?

I think they will check your HHR (戶口) records…If you’re married to a Taiwanese and your name is registered in your spouse’s HHR, then you will be eligible for the vouchers.

1 Like

Excluding foreigners from participating in the stimulus program may be unconstitutional. Taiwan has received a lot of great foreign press for their coronavirus response, but this kind of open, institutional discrimination would likely cause a lot of embarrassment if the rest of the world was made aware of it, especially at a time when their virus success story has raised Taiwan’s international profile. Taiwan’s increased visibility, coupled with worldwide protests against institutional racism and discrimination, makes them vulnerable to bad press and a loss of face for this particular example of institutional racism.
I’m urging everyone here who feels uncomfortable with being discriminated against in this way to contact reliable western media outlets to let them know what’s happening. Provide them with sources exposing the Taiwan government’s possibly unconstitutional policies and to the authorities’ failure to adequately justify them.

4 Likes

I guess many foreign residents pay more taxes than Taiwanese and get nothing.

6 Likes

if your APRC is through employment, you don’t need to fill the form.

this. If you are a spouse with a residency, you are eligible. Aprc included.

1 Like

While I agree with your sentiments this ain’t high on any media list of topics right now.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, have you read the constitution?

2 Likes

Have any foreign spouses registered yet?

Please share the gory details when you do.

I’ve thought to hit up back homes government offices such as the ministry of foreign affairs and the local reps. Nothing moves Taiwan bureaucracy than a good ol loss of face. Bonus points if you cc the ministry of foreign affairs while emailing. I haven’t done it yet but with all this nonsense lately, I’m tempted.

4 Likes