Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

It’s not a reason it’s just a convenient way to discriminate.
Yeah I understand that but it’s still a bulkshit way to stop all foreigners getting aid. I understand the hukou system very well there’s no way for a foreigner to be listed on a hukou officially. Although they list me as some kind ‘by line’ on it somehow.

3 Likes

A bigger question is why do we still have it now.

I would not use discrimination to describe it. Try to see things more positively. The system is used in many places like mainland China, Japan, South Korea, etc.

It’s not just foreigners. Also NWOHR.

I said I know that I used to be NWOHR . :grin:.I see it as a form of discrimination against foreigners and also against Taiwanese who cannot afford to buy property etc. It’s just a dumb ass system that is convenient for rich people .

3 Likes

I somewhat understand excluding foreigners from government welfare and aid systems. Most countries in the world require self-sustainability as one hard requirement for immigration. If people start depending on government aid, they are no longer self-sustained. Also, most foreigners still have the option of returning to their country of citizenship and get aid from their government.

1 Like

No we pay taxes and participate in society and have families and run businesses. Legal residents . There isn’t any excuse.

12 Likes

I am not saying that I think it’s a good idea and it certainly doesn’t make Taiwan appear as a country really welcoming immigration. Yet, I can still understand their reasoning (at least when it comes to non APRC-holders and people without a family here).

The reasoning is…Foreigners don’t deserve it, only us Taiwanese . That’s discrimination .

It’s also discriminatiion against tax payers. Because residents of Taipei and business people in Taipei , their tax actually goes to the local administration largely as far as I understand . So why can they take foreign residents taxes but not give them a fair deal ? Don’t they have a Taipei city citizens card ? What does that mean ?

Also what about foreign parents of local kids or any kids? Are they going to make those kids suffer because they are so petty ?

5 Likes

I don’t know - I moved here on a Gold Card last year. Although I’m planning to pay taxes on my income for this year, I haven’t paid a single dollar in taxes here yet.

I would have to be quite entitled to expect any kind of government money from Taiwan in my situation - even if I run into any financial difficulties.

Like I said - the longer people have been staying here and the more they are connected to the society here, the more they should also be able to participate in these measures.

But in the end, most countries somehow “discriminate” between residents and citizens. Just some countries more than others and some less.

2 Likes

@Brianjones work the system. :wink:

you’re right. you dont know.

and yes you are looking quite entitled to suggest that discrimination is ok , given the fact you have been here for what less than 12 months?

4 Likes

what is fair is subjective. They help nationals not because they pay tax but because they are nationals, otherwise low income families would get no support.

2 Likes

I suggest re-reading @qwert_zuiop’s post. They wouldn’t be on here sharing this information if it were not for a Gold Card, particularly in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. Given their credentials, I think their perspective warrants praise and deserves attention.

as @Ando posted in another thread “That’s ridiculous… imagine if the UK (or any other western country) said there would be no help for foreign nationals with residency, the world would scream racism.”

so no, i wont praise anything suggesting that this is “understandable” many people with families are genuinely worried, they dont find it “understandable”. Try and understand the battle that these people and their children face to receive support, or the foreigner factory workers that are getting shafted on labor insurance. this thread is about what aid is out there… not trying to justify why some families are left unable to pay rent or electricity in the middle of summer. We have seen these callous rules before.

their statements about “understandable” have nothing to do with hokou and everything to do with been a citizen or not. @qwert_zuiop doesnt mention hokou once. doesn’t even know what it is …hence, no, doesn’t know, in fact all we get is “returning to their country” … those words do not resonate well within the expat community in Taiwan.

7 Likes

As I’ve said earlier, this particular relief is coming from the local government. Many people who live and work in Taipei aren’t even from Taipei; (hokou). The better way to voice grievances about it is to ask fellow Taiwanese about what they think about hokou, and then start to unite together towards the common cause, instead of pitting foreigners vs locals.

Every country discriminated against foreigners to some extent, especially when it comes to government largesse because we can’t vote. If you want an example then look at Australia.

No they didn’t . Ireland and most other developed countries did not discriminate. Stop making excuses folks for foreign residents getting shafted here and getting a raw deal all the time…

By the way Australia did give benefits to those on permanent visas.

6 Likes

What happens if there is no relief for foreign residents still can’t complain about discrimination ?

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Information on Covid Relief Packages:

here is the place for you to complain as much as you like.

1 Like

You have a problem with discussing reality .

Keep in your nice and happy echo chamber.

It’s not just complaint it’s a reality statement.