Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Sort of, they will have to pay NT$1,000 but it’ll really be us tax payers paying it for them, so perhaps they’ll actually be getting 3000NT whereas the others (excluding most of us) will be getting a net 2000NT.

1 Like

You don’t have to hold a JFRV. Just be married to a “Taiwanese citizen”. My wife is allowed because she has yellow skin and big eyes, even though she’s not Taiwanese. Racism, waiguoren!

1 Like

That’s what I asked above. I’m inclined to say discrimination for the sake of discrimination, even if it has a (slightly) negative effect on the impact of the stimulus.

Maybe it’s a political thing, i.e., that it might be unpopular with some politicians/voters to think that foreigners could get any benefit from this scheme (even despite the pretty small benefit, and the fact that they would be spending money with Taiwanese businesses while doing so).

Edit: Oh, I think I misunderstood the emphasis of your question. Never mind.

1 Like

Or just don’t take the money in taxes in the first place…

2 Likes

At a guess I’d say the government doesn’t actually want to give the vouchers to any foreigners however after the U-Bike and other discriminatory practices of late decided that there might be too much bad publicity. By including Taiwanese citizens spouses (not all hold JFRV) with residency rights (to exclude those still abroad (mostly China)) they managed to cover up the BS policy until now when it’s likely too late to change. I’m sure they’ve also calculated that those married to Taiwanese citizens are likely more long term residents and have more access to noise makers therefore best to keep them sweet and quiet.

Let’s try to prove them wrong!

7 Likes

Yep, the NT$2000 “gift” is costing us tax payers a hell of a lot more when all the admin and inevitable fraud is added in. Throw in a stimulus deduction on my taxes.

1 Like

It’s to stimulate the economy. Meaning, it redirects funds the government collects and puts it into the people’s pocket. I rather people get the money than the government holding on to it (who knows what they do w/ the money).

I agree! For people that pay more in taxes…throw in stimulus deduction too. Why not.

1 Like

Guess it’s more important for the politicians to stimulate voters than foreign tax payers.

6 Likes

I guess the idea is for those who can afford it to generate enough demand to recreate those jobs.

The time is money concept doesn’t compute. But that’s because that 40M wasn’t earned in many cases but was a result of the ridiculous run up in land prices and they cashed out at the right time. So for them lining up for a $10 discount is what they would do normally in life so nothing changed.

Similar to why some loaded old women are still pushing around a cart of recycling to get $10NT but have millions in their account.

3 Likes

The loophole

1. Charge up an EasyCard you are not using anymore with 2000 TWD stimulus money at a convenience store (No need to pay 1000 TWD)
  2. Go to MRT service and return EasyCard, recieving the card deposit and balance
  3. Profit from stimulus ca$h in hand :moneybag:
4 Likes

LOL. I picture you to be the “fuck you pay me” guy from The Goodfellas movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

You’re a genius. Just wondering about step 3. Should I burn the cash, or can I spend it abroad? I don’t want to risk stimulating the economy.

6 Likes

In HK you get the stimulus check as long as you are a permanent resident.

5 Likes

It will certainly be more of a stimulant to the indentured foreign labor force .

Looks like they are expecting to spend about 50 billion NTD for the stimulus but are expecting about double in return.

“Factoring in promotions and discounts offered by retailers to boost spending, the effect of the NT$3,000-worth of vouchers could increase to NT$4,600. Multiplying that by the 23 million Taiwan nationals and 150,000 foreign and Chinese spouses, the economic effect could top NT$100 billion, Chu (朱澤民) said.”

Asshole logic

You should read more about Taiwan’s history and economic development. It’s always been a heavily managed economy . We don’t pay much tax in Taiwan I’m not sure what you are complaining about.

1 Like

Ditto with Japan and South Korea.

Notice a trend here?

Guy

I’d line up if I got a $10 discount on IKEA ice cream.