Taiwan stock discussions

Try looking at stock symbol Ewt via

finance.yahoo.com/q/ce?s=ewt

Kenneth

[quote=“KenDickson2000”]Try looking at stock symbol Ewt via

finance.yahoo.com/q/ce?s=ewt

Kenneth[/quote]

im interested in buying stocks here in taiwan ,it seems you know a lot about stocks,i visited the site you posted,as far as the number are concerns,i think that stock pretty climbs a li’l each month

Which one do you recommend? Why?

esp. for foreigners who want to trade/invest/lose money :wink:

Kenneth

Check out Yong Da # 1507

Do you mean Yungtay Engineering (#1507)? Why should one check them out? It doesn’t sound like a terribly exciting company. They’ve been making parts for elevators and escalators since 1966:

business.com.tw/home/e0023189/home.htm

And their 5 year performance is not all that exciting. Here they are as compared to the TAIEX:

They look better if you just look at the past 2 years.

But still I don’t get your excitement. If that’s the company you’re talking about, what is it that you find attractive? I’m not saying it’s a bad stock; I just don’t know much about it and am curious why you like it.

I’m not sure if I professed my undying love for it, I figure no matter which one I put on here, someone could tear it apart. Here goes, I have heard positive news about its investments in China and according to a couple of my sources it is expected to reach about NT$32 in the medium term, 3-6 months. Nothing too exciting. Technological analysis is positive, as with anything choose to check it out for yourself, if not discard. Finished lower today. Maybe you, MT, could show me something to get excited about. I hope you can show me some money stocks, thought I would get the ball rolling.

I’m very glad you posted that impleased. I’m very happy to hear other people’s opinions or hot stock tips, etc.

I don’t mean to suggest that I’m a stock market expert. I’m definitely not: I’m just learning about investing myself. But I have learned from experience that one should never make an investment based on the recommendation of one analyst, or friend, or total stranger. Instead, one should note that recommendation and then do some research into it.

As for your elevator company, I don’t necessarily see a problem with that stock (even though it’s not very glamorous compared to the tech and medical companies that I prefer) – I just don’t see a reason to get excited about it. So I was honestly curious if you knew something I didn’t.

Once again, I’m not an expert and one shouldn’t rely on my opinions, but in response to your question, here’s a local stock I’m looking at: CIS Technology, Inc. I haven’t decided yet to make a purchase, but I’m checking it out. Here’s their 5 year chart.

Almost all tech stocks suffered a huge decline from 2000 to 2002 so that shouldn’t be overly worrisome. Prices dropped back down to more realistic levels. But I believe this is a good company, the tech slump is mostly over (assuming we can get the terrorist madness under control) and this stock is on the rebound. But that’s just my amateur opinion.

Too bad I didn’t buy CIS a year ago. It went up something like 400% in that time:

But it’s still low compared to its level a few years ago, which I find promising.

Technically that is not bad looking stock, double bottom, could be the formation of a handle, I’ll keep my eyes peeled on this one. Took a bath today though. High tech is always more exciting as an investor, but so is skydiving, risk to reward. I would like to see more discussion on particular stocks. Tips and such are always helpful and interesting.

Another stock I have been watching for several years is Vangaurd International Semiconductor (5347.TWO), I actually bought it for 40 and sold for 60 back before the bubble burst. It has been in consolidation since about November around 13-14 dollars. Its future is tied to Taiwan Semiconductor as they handle all over capacity orders. Add it to your portfolio (to watch), it may make a move.

I am also interested in some shipping/cargo stocks as I believe direct links are just around the corner, especially if the KMT wins the election. If anyone knows of any post em!

Yungtay. Mainland construction theme if I recall correctly.

Never bought a single stock in my life so I can’t say how long it takes to open an account, but after watching the hit and miss of your average analyst I’ve decided coin tossing is the ONLY answer.

HG

Looking at the dailies, CIS Technology (2326) is a very volatile stock. May be a good opportunity for day trading.

That’s what I’m thinking, though I’ve been waiting to buy until after the election.

finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NAT

I was digging around for a company that I saw mentioned on the news this morning, and stumbled across this one instead. If Yahoo’s statistics are correct, this looks like a stable company with minimal debt in a decent sector – shipping might not make you a billionaire overnight, but it won’t dot.bomb out either. The dividend yield is 21% (!!!) on it, so even if the stock goes to hell, assuming they don’t cut the dividend you’d make back 100%+ of your money in five years.

Does anyone know anything further about it, e.g., major outstanding lawsuits or something similar which might make it so unattractive that its P/E is below 8 and its yield is 21%?

It’s on the AMEX, which is a bad sign, but not devastating.

Quality and Service Technology Ltd.

One of the few companies getting any action today, anyone familiar with it?

Havn’t heard of that one but in these troubled days, I’d be looking more at the large tech companies that will be at a 20% discount in a few days.

Truly bizarre I’mpleased. The TAIEX and several stocks I just checked are all down the maximum daily limit of 7 percent, as one would expect. But your Quality Service Tech company is UP 7 percent. What do they sell, tear gas and riot control devices?

3219 is an IC design house making control chips for digital cameras, scanners, videos, TV signal decoders and the like.

impleased, if you’re still interested in Yungtay it sure is a lot cheaper now.

It seems to be suffering more than most.

Thanks for reminding me. :cry: Unfortunately I was in before the election. Those damn KMT. It is looking good now though price wise. Right now I’m sticking with UMC and (5347).

Electronis and finance leading the market higher so far, The traditionals seem to be suffering a lot.

Well, then you buy traditionals, if the price to book shows a bit of downside protection.If I had the cash, I would buy 1-2 lots of Yungtay. Appears to be near some meaningful support.

So, Mr. He, what do you think of the advice I read today for investors in Taiwan to buy party-neutral stocks with high yields, such as Chunghwa Telecom and Taiwan Cellular? And why is no info on Chunghwa presently available on YahooFinance?