Taiwan stock discussions

Well, I’m thoroughly annoyed. There is not one single mutual fund out there that deals primarily in Taiwanese companies. There are only a dozen or so “Asian funds” that I can find.

I ended up buying some of the EFT iShares “shares” (AMEX:EWT?) someone mentioned the other day – thanks, whoever you were; I’m not even sure where I saw them mentioned any more. But if anyone knows of some actual mutual funds. . . .

CHT is Chunghwa Telecom (2412). China Airlines is always a good buy around NT$10~NT$12.

The foreign trade figures on Tuesday was the americans waking up deciding to sell Taiwan shares - that’s the only explanation I can give. Normally it would have led to a fall on Wednesday - I was somewhat baffled too.

I think that the tech party is drawing to a close this time around. High-tech works like this: First you have roduction shortages, the prices go up (the share prices are based on expectations and have already done so), and they announce massive capacity increases. Once the new capacity comes online, you have a supply glut, and the prices for the products go thru the floor. That is the time to buy, as the share price will already reflect the glut. I would therefore think of selling rather than buying, but that’s just me.

Any opinions about Eva Air, they are looking at 4 straight days of 7% losses, their share price is about to hit pre-election (KMT win) prices. Are they not a good value until they hit 10-15? Or can we get in tomorrow if it drops another 7?

Thanks for the input. Your 2 cents is worth 4 in the bank.

I think in Taiwan an admission to clean trading would come as more of a shock!

A bottom seems to be forming on 2610 CAL and 2618 EVA I guess they will start to rebound by Monday. EVA might hit NT$15 but I don’t think CAL will fall below NT$18.50.

Be very careful or use the same broker as the First Lady. (I wish i had a piece of that action, not the First Lady BTW)

I was wondering the same thing about EVA and CAL as I watch their trading charts.

First time EVA has shown a pulse since Friday.

Why do you think they turned around their steady decline of the past few years and over the past 12 months have climbed from 10 up to 25, before declining after the election? Is all the gain since January due to those betting on a Blue victory?

MT, the market seemed to bet heavily on a blue victory which would have been a double win for CAL (their a KMT company plus possibility of direct links) hence CAL was strongly fancied. However I have heard them be tipped by analysts since January, other airlines in other countries have also been tipped (e.g. BA in the UK). I believe the reason is that the airline sector has been barge poll territory since 9/11 and people have started to realize that things are not as bad as all that and have started to see them as good, under priced stock.

Regarding buy/sell orders, orders won

This I understand, my question was more about the wide gap between buy/sell orders and transactions.

I guess many people place buy/sell orders at prices that are never reached. I placed a few buy orders today that were never met because my bid was too low.

Does this answer your question? I don’t know of any other reason, can anybody else chip in?

Not really. I also understand how buy and sell orders work. I placed some unfilled orders myself today. My question is whether any inferences can be made about the market as a whole when there are so many unfilled orders. Does it give any hints about the direction of the market? Tight markets, loose markets? Surely this number can be made significant by some finance guru somewhere in one way or another. I am wondering what, if any, that significance is.

Read this: tradertalk.com/tutorial/ and you yourself will be the finance guru of which you speak.

Excellent site, unfortunately no answer to my question. Maybe it’s my imagination running wild looking for things that have no meaning.

Anyway, onward and upward, we hope!

Eva Air seems to have found some support.

Just bought China Air at 19.8. It’s moving up fast. Hoping to sell at 25 within a month. That’s the plan anyway.

Need a praying smiley.

I thought that someone said the good time to buy CHina air was at around 12???

The market bouces back and everyone disappears, we’re all investing right?

Ha. I wish. The last time it was at 12 was almost a year ago.

The lowest it’s been since the election was Friday afternoon, prior to the anti-democracy demonstration, when it dipped to about 18.30. Of course, I wish I’d bought then, but I guess I was still a little worried of continued pan-Blue pandemonium (plus, I was too busy to deal with it).

But it’s climbed up to 20.10 today for a 1.5 percent gain already today. Woooohoooo!!! Maybe I’ll sell now and enjoy the good life. :wink:

How do you get those charts again? I went to finance.yahoo.com but
couldnt find the charts/info for stocks on the Taiex.

Try:

“Symbol lookup” on the finance.yahoo.com main page.
Then enter the “name” you are looking for - then choose the market - in this instance “World Markets”

After getting in mid week, last week, is it time to lock in my profits and short sell? All my stocks are up about 10-20%.