Taiwan stock discussions

If you are investing as a QFII (stands for Qualified Foreign Investor I think) you are not allowed to sell short. Only locals can do that, but maybe you are a local I don

I am investing as a local. I took some profits today but will probably get back in in the near term. As you say the uncertainty looks as though it is returning.

There’s more ETF info here: [ETF: Does anyone have any experience with these?

I bought into the Taiwan Tracker 50 (code: 0050) recently and am crossing my fingers for the ride

http://tw.finance.yahoo.com/q/q_0050.html

Procomp Informatics Ltd (2398.TW)

Any info on this company? It has yet to recover from post election trauma syndrome.

someone, i can’t recall who, recently mentioned Vanguard Semiconductor (5347) as one to follow. well i’ve been following it and decided to buy in. it’s been going bonkers! it’s been up limit at least 3 times over the last week. it’s now up to 17.10. thanks whoever that was!

That would be me. I bought in at 12.35 but took profits at 15.00, thinking I could buy it back cheaper, which regretfully I couldn’t. Today it’s still going off at 18.10. Difficult to swallow unearned losses. :cry: Next time I may hang on a little longer.

21% profit impleased? Mistake??? That’s nevertheless better than most retail investors here and I would say that you have done well.

Getting out at the exact right moment is an impossible art. Setting a goal and sticking to it is good. Using a gliding stop-loss order might be a bit more flexible, if you really want to ride it for the last cents.

yeah, you must be kicking yourself! i bought at 16.5, so i was pretty pleased to see it leap up to 18.10 today. i’m fairly confident it will hit as high as 22, at which point i would offload for sure.

semis are performing well right now. tsmc and umc both performed well today. at 62, i still think tsmc is a good buy.

[quote=“Mr He”]21% profit impleased? Mistake??? That’s nevertheless better than most retail investors here and I would say that you have done well.

Getting out at the exact right moment is an impossible art. Setting a goal and sticking to it is good. Using a gliding stop-loss order might be a bit more flexible, if you really want to ride it for the last cents.[/quote]

very true mr. he. it reminds me of the timeless words of david brent:

“Life is just a series of peaks and troughs. And you don’t know whether you’re in a trough until you’re climbing out, or on a peak until you’re coming down. And that’s it, you know, you never know what’s round the corner. But it’s all good. ‘If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain’. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits”.

Thanks for making me feel better about my 21%, naturally I am pleased but… I spent the money on 2363 (large chip company SIS, saw it on the news and hasn’t recovered fully after the election) and 2398 (a company I know nothing about (dangerous) but it is so far off it’s pre-election price that I had to buy, thinking if someone had this value on it only 2 weeks ago and the only change has been the election, also after refreshing myself with my Contrarian Investing book) which are doing alright and I got in on UMC at 28, so things are good but, they could be…I’ve been telling my wife the same thing, 20%, 20%,

TSMC a good buy at 62?

When is DRAM (5347, 5346) going to be overbought? Everyday with every stock analyst, DRAM, DRAM, DRAM being going on for 3+ weeks

you bought SIS??? that company is a turkey, impossible for them to ever make a profit. and main competitor VIA’s prospects aren’t much better either. i don’t think the clone pc chipset guys will do too well this year, but i might be wrong.

yes, i still think there is some upside to tsmc at 62. semis are doing well not so much because of the stronger pc business, but because handset business is huge. i think that’s why vanguard are doing so well, as they have some niche product for handsets.

As long as SIS makes money for me (8% since Wednesday) is all I care about, I’ll be out in the next couple of weeks, my main investment is in with UMC everything else is expendable when it reaches my selling price.

fair enough, if you’re just in to make a quick profit. i just think it’s poor long term prospect. umc had another good day today, eh?

Yeah, I’m pretty happy about UMC making a big move today, it has been pretty stagnant. A lot of people were burned by them in 2000 when the stock market was hitting a manic stage, but I have high hopes for them in the next couple of quarters. Do you have any good tips or any stocks that you are watching? I would love to have them, so I can stop waching Vanguard burn up the charts.

i’m currently taking a fairly conservative approach and putting my money into large cap stocks like tsmc. i took a punt on the election and got burned. almost back to where i was pre-election now though thanks to tsmc and vanguard. in terms of tips, don’t have anything too hot right now.

2 stocks i’ve been following which have performed well are catcher (2474) and min aik (3060). catcher makes magnesium casing for notebooks and handsets, and this sector is set to explode as more and more products use magnesium casing. min aik makes HDD components - another sector set to do well this yr with more and more devices needing HDDs for storage. there might still be some healthy upside on both, but i’m kicking myself because i suspect i’ve missed the boat.

i’m also hoping the notebook ODMs like quanta, compal and wistron will have a big 2H of 2004. they’ve mostly declined since late last yr when their stocks were all the rage as their results for Q1 have been disappointing. however the 2nd half of the yr should see record shipments once again. then again i may be wrong, and many people disagree with me, so this is more my opinion than any sort of consensus. of the 3, i think wistron (3231) has the largest potential for growth.

Thanks, I can stop torturing myself now that I have something else to look at. Wistrom looks like it is fairly new to the Exchange. I’m a bit of a bottom feeder, I like 'em low! Catcher is hitting new highs, looks like the election didn’t affect them too much, indication it is a very stable company? I tell people I am green in my heart but my wallet is blue and I was betting on the KMT win as well with a few stocks but with some good after election moves I am doing better.

Any steel makers on the Taiex?

yes, china steel (2002). i haven’t been following it, but i believe it’s seen as a safe bet with good yields. also, there is global steel shortage because china is gobbling up the supply so could be a good investment.

one other area people are very bullish on is the DRAM stocks. DRAM prices are going up and handsets are also helping drive demand. i’m a bit hesitant to buy into DRAM stocks, as they seem to be very volatile - much like DRAM pricing - and i know people that have been burned by DRAM stocks before. however, i’m going to start following powerchip (5346), which is attracting a lot of interest i believe.

actually, wistron have been around for a while, albeit under a different guise. wistron was formerly the notebook oem manufacturing arm of acer. i find these spun off acer subsiduries very confusing - benq being another case in point.

The problem with 5346 is that I think we are too late for the big money, people have been big on it several months and it has had an incredible run but it has to consolidate at some time and I don’t want that time to be the day after I buy it.

I’m looking at buying Macronix (2337) today.

If a stock has doubled once…

Perhaps buiding excel screens who can warn you if a stock or sector overperforms or underperforms its sector?

I did that for some time and got a moderate but consistent overperformance on a model portfolio. (It was a simulation only).